• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wifi roaming, manual selection of access points?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Hello, every day I have to connect to a wireless network that is made up of either 2 or 3 different access points. If I understand roaming correctly, each router is configured with the same SSID and password, however they operate on different channels and it is up to the wireless adapter in each PC to seamlessly roam between the AP's?

What I was wondering, is there a way I can manually switch between access points or set my computer to try and stay on one as long as possible? Both AP's are connected to the internet by two different lines and one is much slower and also heavily bogged down. I know my computer is in range for the other AP, but no matter how low I set the roaming aggressiveness on my laptop, it still roams to the wrong AP.

Is there some sort of a program that allows me to view the various AP's in range and select which one to connect to?

Thanks
-0cer

Well, the NIC firmware determines which node to connect to based on signal strength and other things. Higher-end NICs have firmware that allow you to do stuff like this.

Fortunately, there is a software solution.

I would try to use Net Stumbler first. It is probably the most common one. Also, a less heard of one is WiFi Studio. I believe it can do the same thing you are asking.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Awesome! Thanks for the help. NetStumbler kept saying "adapter not present" even though the chipset was listed in the drop down menu.

Wifi Studio works great though! Thanks again!

Back