• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the Best CPU for an Asus P5NSLI Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This motherboard doesn't support a 1333mhz fsb (333mhz based frequency), so a q9550 will be downclocked, thought it will work. If you want to go quad on that board you should get something like a Q6600.

Thanks for the help. But this is meant to be an upgrade from a Q6600 (B0).

Even with the Q9550 downclocked, it seems the BEST processor for this mobo. Oddly enough, Asus shows this mobo does not support the Q6600.

The goal for my client is to have the fastest stock processor available for this mobo, and have a stable, reliable system. I advised him that Asus doesn't show the Q6600 supported for his mobo, that the Q9550 was supported, and it was faster.

So before I order it, does this seem right?

The q9550 will still be a little faster that the q6600 even if it will be downclocked to 2.3ghz. I don't think that it will be worth the cost, because the improvement over the q6600 will be very minimal.

It doesn't matter if the motherboard supports 1333FSB, just set the FSB to 1333 (or 333, depending on how it's depicted) in the BIOS. I would be very surprised if the motherboard can't handle it. Most motherboards, even old ones like my P5N-E SLI can handle 1600FSB (my P5N-E went to 1760FSB).

I wouldnt make that jump personally. Especially with that motherboard potentially handicapping it off the get go. Im sure you can overclock it to reach its stock speeds and past it, but thats not worth the cost IMHO.

EDIT: One thing I noticed on the CPU list, is that it says it downclocks certain processors to 1066, but not hte Q9550... typo?

Last edited:
No. This is my client's PC, not my own. It matters what the motherboard supports if my client does not want his system overclocked.

It doesn't matter if the motherboard supports 1333FSB, just set the FSB to 1333 (or 333, depending on how it's depicted) in the BIOS. I would be very surprised if the motherboard can't handle it. Most motherboards, even old ones like my P5N-E SLI can handle 1600FSB (my P5N-E went to 1760FSB).

Looks like a typo to me. Asus should have indicated a down-clock to 1066 for the Q9550. It makes no sense for the Q9550 not to be included with the other down-clocked processors. Edit: Asus is a pain; I will not contact them for confirmation.

The bottom line is my client will get the fastest processor so his PC will be as fast as possible because that's what he wants. And that CPU apparently is the Q9550.

Knowing how he will be using his PC and how he will benefit from a faster system, I advised to 1) build a new faster PC or 2) max this one out and then buy a faster one later once this one isn't fast enough anymore. Now if this were my PC for my very modest uses, I would have overclocked the Q6600 and been done.

I wouldnt make that jump personally. Especially with that motherboard potentially handicapping it off the get go. Im sure you can overclock it to reach its stock speeds and past it, but thats not worth the cost IMHO.

EDIT: One thing I noticed on the CPU list, is that it says it downclocks certain processors to 1066, but not hte Q9550... typo?

Last edited:
P5NSLI similar Query

Hello y'all,

Great to read posts that blow my tech expertise out of the water - it's the only way to learn.

I'm working with a similar query - I have an Asus P5NSNI with an E6300 that performs fine but I'm yearning to put a bit more muscle in it. I just swapped out the GPU (GE7900GTO) for a GEForce GTX 460 SE and it's bumped up my 3D mark numbers... but I want more.....

There's a Wolfdale Core 2 duo E8400 on Newegg.ca that tempts me, but should I be looking at something else?

Thanks for the advice!

Jimmy

Specs:

Intel Core 2 E6300 @1.86 GHz
Asus P5NSLI mobo
GEForce GTX 460 SE
2 sticks ram (2032mb)
3DMark 06 score = 8455

You'd have better luck starting a new thread rather than dig one up from '09.

being said, yes the e8400 would be good, but the cost is high considering it is over 2 generations old. My honest advice is to save up and go for Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge and a Socket 1155 board with some DDR3.

Not knowing your operating system or software uses, I'd sooner want more than 2 gigs of RAM. You're welcome to post in this thread, but you "may" get better help by posting your own thread.

Further Query

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice thus far - I can't deny that running Windows XP is helping nor that the board will last forever. Your comments are square on that.

I guess I'd still like to know what I could plug in for CPUs and patch it together for 2 years prior to the big swap out. Any options for LGA775 on this Asus P5NSLI mobo?

Jimmy

Back