How are the Barracuda's now?

Specifically the .11's(link).
    I remember them having a ton of problems at some point? Or was that just a big Seagate problem. I think I remember reading about new software with the .11's that fixed the problems they were having?

I'm thinking about buying 3-5 of them.
    STEELERS BABY
    IX
    X
    GOT 6? XIII
    XIV
    WE DO XL
    XLIII
    I.M.O.G.: I'm sorry to inform you that your sig violates forum rules. Due to obscene, and frankly ugly, choices of colors you must change this. I suggest brown and orange perhaps.
    lol JK... Congratulations on your season. Greetings from Cleveland, the home of "There's always next year".
    cw823: I think you need to edit your sig, this could finally be a year for a Cleveland team. Go Cavs!

Quote Originally Posted by Twigglish View Post
    Specifically the .11's(link).
    I remember them having a ton of problems at some point? Or was that just a big Seagate problem. I think I remember reading about new software with the .11's that fixed the problems they were having?

I'm thinking about buying 3-5 of them.
    few people had issues with them... but i have 3 of them running 24/7 for about 7 months and they havent quit on me
    <(+_+)> (v)g <(+_+)>

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Stay away from the .11's. I bought some before they were known to die randomly, had to RMA all the drives. THEN, two died with the fixed firmware, again. I've heard a lot less information on the drives since the "firmware fix", so I'm assuming it helped somewhat. Either way, I'm a bit leery of their drives at the moment and will give it a long time before I consider another one of they drives.

But, I can say that their support is extremely good. There was a mixup on the warranty for the drives (stating 90 days instead of the 5 years) and they will fix it if they ever need to be RMA'd.
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Firmware supposedly fixed the issue, but as you can see above, it hasnt totally. I would get Western Digital Caviar Blacks personally.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Heatware Profile
    I consider them mostly fixed but not worth buying due to the competition having a leg up. Right now Seagate offers no real advantage over current Western Digital and Samsung drives. Seagate drives tend to be good at sustained transfers but slow when dealing with typical files.

In other words they make bad OS drives. They also are not as good as the competition as pure storage drives either. Many of the 7200.11 drives have smaller platters then the Samsung f3 lineup and Seagate drives draw more power and output more heat then WD green and Samsung drives that you would use for storage.

Basically right now Seagate's current drives don't compete well. They don't make good OS drives or storage drives and have a bad reputation. Instead of diversifying their drive lineup like most companies they made a general usage drive that fails to deliver. The biggest positive right now for Seagate drives is their warranty.

I currrently own four Seagate 7200.11 and one Seagate LP drive. Although I don't regret buying them, they were the only drives their size at one time, I won't be buying Seagate again until a new series at the soonest.

Edit: In the 1.5TB size I rank the drives currently available in the following order:

1) Samsung F2 EcoGreen
    2) Western Digital Green
    3) Seagate LP
    4) Seagate 7200.11

The difference between one and two is mostly an issue of price and right now the WD drive can be had for $90 from amazon or $80 after cash back from dell.
    Last edited by BossBorot; 12-01-09 at 11:40 AM.

Some great information here. Thanks to all, I've got the information I need.
    STEELERS BABY
    IX
    X
    GOT 6? XIII
    XIV
    WE DO XL
    XLIII
    I.M.O.G.: I'm sorry to inform you that your sig violates forum rules. Due to obscene, and frankly ugly, choices of colors you must change this. I suggest brown and orange perhaps.
    lol JK... Congratulations on your season. Greetings from Cleveland, the home of "There's always next year".
    cw823: I think you need to edit your sig, this could finally be a year for a Cleveland team. Go Cavs!

The 7200.12 have been pretty good, I've not seen any problems with them yet.
    Using Ubuntu does not make you good with linux.

HEATWARE

Quote Originally Posted by visbits View Post
    The 7200.12 have been pretty good, I've not seen any problems with them yet.
    yes but they still arnt winning any real world benchmarks over the competition...

I would personally much rather go with a Western Digital, Hitachi. WD slightly over Hitachi, but given i can get awesome good deals on Hitachi's thats what my server is filled with. 1 500gb and 1 1tb hitachi, brand new from the factory for 60 bucks.
    #12 in the 4ghz core 2 duo club baby! - 52 inches of CRYSIS! - Black Belt Ubercloxx0r -- Heatware
    Main -- Lian Li V2000b -- i7 2700k -- MSI Z68A-GD80 -- 12gb 1600 -- GTX560Ti --Adata 128gb S510 & 2x500gb -- Seasonic S12 600w -- Dell 2209WA
    HTPC -- Silverstone GD05B -- E7200 @ 3.2ghz -- G41-M7 -- 4GB 800mhz -- g210 passive -- 320gb 2.5in WD -- Antec EA 430w -- 52inch Samsung LCD
    Server -- Antec NSK4480B -- E3300 @ 2.5ghz -- ECS G33T-M2 -- 3gb 667mhz -- Onboard Vid -- 500Gb + 1TB hatachi + 1tb WD -- Zalman 400w
    Netbook - Dell Mini 9 - Atom 1.6ghz - 8GB ssd - 2GB pc6400 - WIN 7 PRO!
    Need 4 Speed - BH