• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are the Barracuda's now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigglish

Specifically the .11's(link).
I remember them having a ton of problems at some point? Or was that just a big Seagate problem. I think I remember reading about new software with the .11's that fixed the problems they were having?

I'm thinking about buying 3-5 of them.

Specifically the .11's(link).
I remember them having a ton of problems at some point? Or was that just a big Seagate problem. I think I remember reading about new software with the .11's that fixed the problems they were having?

I'm thinking about buying 3-5 of them.

few people had issues with them... but i have 3 of them running 24/7 for about 7 months and they havent quit on me

Stay away from the .11's. I bought some before they were known to die randomly, had to RMA all the drives. THEN, two died with the fixed firmware, again. I've heard a lot less information on the drives since the "firmware fix", so I'm assuming it helped somewhat. Either way, I'm a bit leery of their drives at the moment and will give it a long time before I consider another one of they drives.

But, I can say that their support is extremely good. There was a mixup on the warranty for the drives (stating 90 days instead of the 5 years) and they will fix it if they ever need to be RMA'd.

Firmware supposedly fixed the issue, but as you can see above, it hasnt totally. I would get Western Digital Caviar Blacks personally.

I consider them mostly fixed but not worth buying due to the competition having a leg up. Right now Seagate offers no real advantage over current Western Digital and Samsung drives. Seagate drives tend to be good at sustained transfers but slow when dealing with typical files.

In other words they make bad OS drives. They also are not as good as the competition as pure storage drives either. Many of the 7200.11 drives have smaller platters then the Samsung f3 lineup and Seagate drives draw more power and output more heat then WD green and Samsung drives that you would use for storage.

Basically right now Seagate's current drives don't compete well. They don't make good OS drives or storage drives and have a bad reputation. Instead of diversifying their drive lineup like most companies they made a general usage drive that fails to deliver. The biggest positive right now for Seagate drives is their warranty.

I currrently own four Seagate 7200.11 and one Seagate LP drive. Although I don't regret buying them, they were the only drives their size at one time, I won't be buying Seagate again until a new series at the soonest.

Edit: In the 1.5TB size I rank the drives currently available in the following order:

1) Samsung F2 EcoGreen
2) Western Digital Green
3) Seagate LP
4) Seagate 7200.11

The difference between one and two is mostly an issue of price and right now the WD drive can be had for $90 from amazon or $80 after cash back from dell.

Last edited:
The 7200.12 have been pretty good, I've not seen any problems with them yet.

The 7200.12 have been pretty good, I've not seen any problems with them yet.

yes but they still arnt winning any real world benchmarks over the competition...

I would personally much rather go with a Western Digital, Hitachi. WD slightly over Hitachi, but given i can get awesome good deals on Hitachi's thats what my server is filled with. 1 500gb and 1 1tb hitachi, brand new from the factory for 60 bucks.

Back