• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v rail 11.81 idle and 11.51 under full load, Time for a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukemurmur

As the title says this is on an Skt 939 rig with a 175 opty and an asus 5770, the psu is a enermax 550 watt with 36a on the 12v rails, is ther anY way i can turn the rails up on this PSU?

Duke

As the title says this is on an Skt 939 rig with a 175 opty and an asus 5770, the psu is a enermax 550 watt with 36a on the 12v rails, is ther anY way i can turn the rails up on this PSU?

Duke

According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atx you can go as low as 11.40V and up to 12.60V and still be within the ATX spec. So, you are on the low end, but still good.

I might consider getting a new PSU in case it does get worse. But I'd probably check on and off and wait until it starts to get worse. But as long as you aren't having any problems now, you should be ok.

Sorry, don't know how to change the voltage on that PSU.

Well i am getting weird restarts somtimes when it does dip that low i am thinking it is due to the amount of current he cpu or memory is getting the other rails dip some also, i am planing a new build and this psu i have atm is going to b used to power my water cooling pumps hdd's and fans, i guess im going to have to look into runing up the 12v rails to around 12.1 or something around there w/o a load and not 11.8, if i can even do that on this psu

Duke

Get a multimeter and check the voltage using that, software sensors are quite inaccurate. My 12v sensor reads .3 volts low.

EDIT:
That said, dropping .3 volts under load is pretty bad. It may well be time for a new PSU.
In fact, being an enermax, i'd say it IS time for a new PSU.

Agreed. You didn't mention the age for the PSU. Might be time for a new one. PSUs due to the loads and the natural aging of cheap capacitors take a dump long before the rest of the rig does.

Well, i checked with a DMM a few days ago and it was nearly the same as it showed in windows, But alas it dosnt matter as the system just bit the dirt (at least atm it is looking that way), u can refer to my "is my 175 dead" thread in the AMD section here

Duke

Back