• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About time for i5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, it seems I max out at 4.126GHz and thats with 1.4925Vcore. Its not that I can't go higher with Vcore, but that high yields temps of 96-97 degrees Max while priming. I could turn my AC down a little bit, but I would still be at 90s and if I go any higher on Volts The temp is just going to peg at 99.

I just found someone selling an i7 860 and he guarantees it will do 4.4 stable on 1.38V vcore, and he is selling it for $220 so I am going to go that route. Makes me feel bad that I didn't buy Brollocks, although we do know Brollocks Benches and not really runs them stable.

If it will run stable 24/7 at 1.38, then I would think I could probably push another 200MHz out of it for Benching purposes, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

I can then sell my i7 for $180-200 and still guarantee that someone will get a good overclock out of it..

Well, it seems I max out at 4.126GHz and thats with 1.4925Vcore. Its not that I can't go higher with Vcore, but that high yields temps of 96-97 degrees Max while priming. I could turn my AC down a little bit, but I would still be at 90s and if I go any higher on Volts The temp is just going to peg at 99.

I just found someone selling an i7 860 and he guarantees it will do 4.4 stable on 1.38V vcore, and he is selling it for $220 so I am going to go that route. Makes me feel bad that I didn't buy Brollocks, although we do know Brollocks Benches and not really runs them stable.

If it will run stable 24/7 at 1.38, then I would think I could probably push another 200MHz out of it for Benching purposes, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

I can then sell my i7 for $180-200 and still guarantee that someone will get a good overclock out of it..

Yes, certain clocks are meant for benching....wasting energy and time just to tinker a little bit more is not going to cut it.
Don't keep your hope too high from switching to the other i7-860....as stability varies upon hardwares....mobo, rams especially.
I really think that you need a good set of rams.
There are lots of things preventing from successful stability. Programs, Anti-virus installed, back-ground process that are running....
A lot of benchers use a second hard drive or a freshly installed Windows with some modifications....and basically ...not much of anything installed. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I would be happy to get 4.2@ 1.4V, I think my chip is actually holding me back. Not my rams. I have even tried with just two sticks, no difference. I have a higher end motherboard, and my RAMs are not crap.

If I can get 4.4 @ 1.4V then thats just a bonus. Then I could actually get better benching numbers and I am sure I could probably get a 4.8 Suicide shot from it.

I would be happy to get 4.2@ 1.4V, I think my chip is actually holding me back. Not my rams. I have even tried with just two sticks, no difference. I have a higher end motherboard, and my RAMs are not crap.

If I can get 4.4 @ 1.4V then thats just a bonus. Then I could actually get better benching numbers and I am sure I could probably get a 4.8 Suicide shot from it.

I agree with you. Every CPU isn't equal. Some are better then others.

I didn't mean to say your rams are crap....just give you an idea.
I was surprised to hear that you had a BSOD at 9106-26 for not being close to its limit.

If you paid attention to my SuperPI 1M & 32M....you will see that I have displayed various timing speeds and frequency.
1M - This one did 787-20 @ 1600MHz http://i42.tinypic.com/350jndk.jpg
32M - This one did 898-20 @ 1980MHz http://i42.tinypic.com/mts0zk.jpg
I'm sure you've figured by now. Rams do play an important role when you're aiming high.

I didn't mean to say your rams are crap....just give you an idea.
I was surprised to hear that you had a BSOD at 9106-26 for not being close to its limit.

If you paid attention to my SuperPI 1M & 32M....you will see that I have displayed various timing speeds and frequency.
1M - This one did 787-20 @ 1600MHz http://i42.tinypic.com/350jndk.jpg
32M - This one did 898-20 @ 1980MHz http://i42.tinypic.com/mts0zk.jpg
I'm sure you've figured by now. Rams do play an important role when you're aiming high.

Definitely when your milking every last bit. Thats one of the problems. Your right about my RAM holding this particular CPU back. But I think one of the main reasons is because I can't get my CPU solid at 21X200. No matter how I clock, I need at least 200+ to even use my RAMs at stock. If I use higher multis then I end up having @ 181 (1448ish) or (1810). 1810 is too high, so thats a no go. Using 191 I have (1528) or (1910), 1910 is a no go. So I have to use a 2:8 divider. Which means I either need higher speed ram or a Bclk of 200+. Faster Rams would also get me lower timings (i.e. more room to play around with.) Unfortunately, I already bought 8 Gigs and it would be a shame to sell them just to get faster RAM. I would loose $50+ off of the RAM I would be selling and have to pay at least $150 for some decent DDR3 2000 (Only 4 Gigs). At that point, I bought my new i7 860 for $220. So financially its pretty much a wash.

Now IF this Chip clocks as the owner claims it did, then I should be able to run: 220X20 (But not likely as my rams would hold me back unless I used 2:6 Multis, and if my motherboard plays nice), 21X209-210 (DRAM 1672MHz), which my RAM will do, and (22X200) which will run my RAM at stock speed. At any rate, this chip will play better because it will get me at least my stock RAM speed or better.

Back