• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About time for i5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh...I was only comparing the CPU score...since we have the same CPU...like it your '06 run above...you got a 6505...not too shabby, 06 is tough :thup:

Oh...I was only comparing the CPU score...since we have the same CPU...like it your '06 run above...you got a 6505...not too shabby, 06 is tough :thup:

I can try again at 4.40GHz....but how on earth did you get it up to 4.50GHz?
Oh well, I guess they didn't give you championships for nothing... :)

For SuperPI 32M = 8.30s @ 4.30GHz would requires a fresh OS install with nothing else installed should do the job....but I'm fully loaded.

Last edited:
I did a comparison with 3DMark05 @4200 and @175 Bclk Turbo = 4200 Turbo Boost.

First the 4200MHz

3dMark05.PNG

And now Bclk 175 for 4200MHz Turbo Boost.

3dMark05Turbo.PNG

Since I really don't get much higher on Turbo without massive volts, I am still gonna try and see how high Turbo Boost has to be before it equals non-turbo.

Still, the benefit is much lower heat output and energy consumption.

Ok, its just not worth trying 180+ on my chip, probably still my ram. The voltage needed to keep it stable is at 1.55V and since I wouldn't run my chip daily at that Voltage anyways, I need not make the comparison.

In my opinion, Turbo Boost requires the equivalent Voltages and RAM settings that a non-Turbo Boost would require whenever it maxes out. The benefit is that it only runs at this speed for short increments, which can be a powersavings. The downside is that if it is a single core application that benefits from Turbo Boost, then it will run at that speed in spurts and experience (just like in a car turbo) Turbo Lag. It still takes a split second for it to go from say 2.67Ghz to 4.2GHz, and in benchmarks every second counts. Turbo will not just hover at 4.2 GHz the whole time, although it will not set at 2.67 either.

If an application requires more than two cores, Turbo Boost leaves you hanging. Because when this happens, your chip goes to its normal 21 multiplier and puts a 175 Bclk at 3.67GHz, where as if you overclocked it without turbo, you would run at whatever clock speed (4200 MHz for example). This would be more beneficial for encoding or multi-core processing, however the CPU will run at a much higher temperature the entire time. Even at idle (depending on ambient temps) I have seen my chip hovering between 41-46°C. We won't even talk about sustained temps of 84°C and higher. But the overall bench scores show that non-turbo utilizing all 4 cores is better overall.

So in conclusion, if your aiming at just bench-testing (similar to racing on the track) then I think that Non-Turbo Boost is the way to go, but if your goal is every day computing, the Turbo-Boost is as effective and really only lags very little (split-seconds) behind a Non-turbo Boost, yet runs much cooler and consumes less power.

Hoho.....yay!!!
I did it. The last time I try 4.4GHz was very unstable...only able to run SuperPI 1M.......everything were impossible.
Last night...........didn't get very much sleep....pay off big time!

NOW, 4.52GHz on air....that's 69% overclocked for quad.....PASSED all tests.
(This is for the benching purpose. After this, I'll be converting back to use Turbo....

SuperPI_1M_9.235s
4v04fl.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/4v04fl.jpg

CINEBENCH_R10_6359_22349
1hiix.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/1hiix.jpg

3DMark06_CPU_6893pts_3DMarks_4875pts_1280x1024_2
15evleh.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/15evleh.jpg

3DMarkVantage_CPU_20498pts_GPU_1280pts_PerformanceSetting_1280x1024
nzjgcx.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/nzjgcx.jpg

SuperPI_32M_8m35.846s
bhinuf.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/bhinuf.jpg

GeIL 2133MHz dropped in.

MaxMEM2_18.26GBperSEC
5wasyv.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/5wasyv.jpg

NuclearusMC_27928
53wgsl.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/53wgsl.jpg

GeekBench_9550
ic23df.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/ic23df.jpg

WEI
be8n88.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/be8n88.jpg

==============================
==============================

So in conclusion, if your aiming at just bench-testing (similar to racing on the track) then I think that Non-Turbo Boost is the way to go, but if your goal is every day computing, the Turbo-Boost is as effective and really only lags very little (split-seconds) behind a Non-turbo Boost, yet runs much cooler and consumes less power.

Yup, that's the idea behind Intel's Turbo Boost. 1st generation of Turbo Boost won't benefit much for i7 (except i7-860 & i7-870) since it has lower upper limit.
For mild overclockers up to 4GHz, you may find a better benefit of Turbo Boost with dependencies of your board, rams can take up to 185bclk Turbo. Which could yield the same or better results.....for everyday use.

Last edited:
Ok, I just spent the last 10 hours (well not the whole time) doing routine computer stuff using Turbo Mode. Sam, there is NO WAY, you can say that the computer doesn't feel faster and more responsive in non-turbo mode. I timed Boot time in Windows, in Turbo mode it took about 1min. 15 seconds, in non-turbo it took about 38 seconds.

I watched my CPU meter in core temp and my CPU spent more than half the time at X9 multi for about 1.5GHz. When I tried installing software it spent most of the time at X9 multi. My computer feels much more zippy and faster in non-turbo mode.

While I love the power savings, real world use I can feel the difference.

I have a dual boot system with 5s delay for choosing of either OSes...I let it cycles through that 5s automatically.......the difference is only 3 seconds.
For application installations...it actually felt fast too me.....not that I have any to install right now.....and would be hard to monitor from start to finish since most installations would require user's inputs and that would skews the result.

2ljjhjq.jpg

At this clock was only good enought for this SuperPI 1M :)
Can't get the rams to stablize.
Only able to run Cinebench R10 half way.......single threaded was fine...got frozen during multi-threaded rendering.

11kcyl1.jpg

By the way wickedout, I spent yesterday with 4GB trying to attain better results and i am sad/happy to say, it didn't make difference for me anyways. i also suspect that in addition to sam's better rm, he just has a better chip.

I can't even boot into windows past 4.4 with less than 1.55V and then it is still unstable as hell. In windows using ET6 I can get to about 4.45 stable enough to run super pi, but that is about it.

Hats off to Sam's i5, he got a good chip.

Actually, I really think that this entry level P55-UD3R is really rock solid.
It took quite plenty of abuse from me without any problems.
I had a lot of BSODs with many settings and trying to stabilize at 4.62GHz...which gave up finally.

I think i5-750 is the best value price/performance for the money. My complete system is under $550 :) excluded keyboard, mouse, monitor and OSes.

Last edited:
I think you have a good chip. You can run your volts lower and you get a higher clock on the same volts I use to run much higher. I would have said it was my having too much ram, but thats not it. I tried with 4GB same result. I would also like to call it your higher speed ram, but if I run it at 1333 the results are the same. While I might agree your board could be the strong link, I too can run a 215 Bclk. Not super stable but I can run it, but that I can't hit top speeds especially without juice, I am gonna call it your chip.

Again, my hats off to you.

P.S. Upgrade cost from my Q6600 to my i5 750 was 150 bucks after I sold my old mobo/chip/ram

I've been following this thread for awhile and I thought I would chime in. Put together my first build ever 3 weeks ago and have done a little overclocking since then, I have to give credit to samsavemax and miahallen though!

Like sam I'm using the i5-750 with the p55-ud3r. First off I tried OC'ing with turbo and all other power saving features enabled, I couldn't get into windows with anything past 175 bclk.

With turbo and all other power saving features off I can easily hit 4ghz. Here is what I quickly threw together tonight.

200bclk x 20 multi
auto all voltages
spd 8.0
ram 1600
turbo/power saving=disabled
Note: the ram voltage shown in cpu-z was wrong, in the BIOS it shows 1.61v

under load
42342356.0load.png

idle
49633612.0idle.png

For now I think I'm going to stick with 170 bclk and turbo enabled since I will mostly be gaming but it would be cool to see how high I can clock my chip.

I've been following this thread for awhile and I thought I would chime in. Put together my first build ever 3 weeks ago and have done a little overclocking since then, I have to give credit to samsavemax and miahallen though!

Like sam I'm using the i5-750 with the p55-ud3r. First off I tried OC'ing with turbo and all other power saving features enabled, I couldn't get into windows with anything past 175 bclk.

With turbo and all other power saving features off I can easily hit 4ghz. Here is what I quickly threw together tonight.

200bclk x 20 multi
auto all voltages
spd 8.0
ram 1600
turbo/power saving=disabled
Note: the ram voltage shown in cpu-z was wrong, in the BIOS it shows 1.61v

For now I think I'm going to stick with 170 bclk and turbo enabled since I will mostly be gaming but it would be cool to see how high I can clock my chip.

Congratulations with your new i5-750. How does it feels compared with your old system? Must be great huh? :)
BTW, since you're using Turbo Boost at 170bclk SPD8 = 1360MHz,........
You can tighten your timing little....try it
888-20 or 898-20

Congratulations with your new i5-750. How does it feels compared with your old system? Must be great huh? :)
BTW, since you're using Turbo Boost at 170bclk SPD8 = 1360MHz,........
You can tighten your timing little....try it
888-20 or 898-20

Considering that my last system had a pentium 4 and 512mb of ram it doesn't even compare!
I did have the SPD at 10 when I was running 170 bclk, but I think my ram is the limiting factor here when trying to clock over 175 with turbo.

Guys, i am curious about the prospects of running turbo mode, for both single threaded app performance, as well as power consumption. Problem is tha ti am limited to 1600mhz ram. at 21x175 with turbo my computer will not boot, because it takes my ram to 1850. is it possible that the ram is all that is holding my system back. I have some 2000mhz tridents coming in the mail, do you foresee them making a difference.

Here is what i am running
gskill 1600 (8-8-8-24)
i5 750
Tuniq Tower Ext.(SO COLD)
ASUS P7P55D Pro
Radeon 5850 (reference)

I would really like to achieve what samsavemax has reached.

EDIT: Btw it seems like if i load default values, leave everything on auto, but change blck to 170 and mutli to 21 i cant even boot. so maybe there is something else going on.

Back