• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VP6 Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
I just got my board hooked up. (4 in one1s etc) anything i should know about the board.

my cpu temps seem to be high and i'm wondering if its the in socket thermometers or if its my chips. I have glaciator II's on both of my chips with artic silver. thing is these are the really new p3's that intel put IHS's on. one is at 32 and the other is at 35. seems high for glaciators and they should be sitting pretty flat with the heat spreaders on.

Ebola said:
I just got my board hooked up. (4 in one1s etc) anything i should know about the board.

my cpu temps seem to be high and i'm wondering if its the in socket thermometers or if its my chips. I have glaciator II's on both of my chips with artic silver. thing is these are the really new p3's that intel put IHS's on. one is at 32 and the other is at 35. seems high for glaciators and they should be sitting pretty flat with the heat spreaders on.

You never know how good intel got the IHS touching the core with these chips. That is why I always remove them. That is probably where you see the extra temp increase.

VP6 Temps

I have the VP6 and although it is currently running on a Water Cooled setup now, I had Two Alpha PEP66s with the Deltas not too long ago.

You didn't tell me what your ambient temp or case temp is so that may also be a big factor in the temps you're seeing.

I have two P3 700s @ 1.0Ghz
I also have a modded Chenbro Net Server Case which helps case temps.

My Case Temps were and still are around 25C (MBM5)
My CPU Temps were and still are around 26 and 27 Idle
and at full load (Sandra Burn-in) for hours my max temps are around 33C.

Granted, I do not have the heat spreader that Intel put on your processors
but I am still using the thermal grease that came with my Alphas.

So, you should probably focus on Case airflow first if you have'nt already and then try re-seating your heat sinks. If that doesn't work, take a look at your fans. The Deltas I was using were great but I liked the noise so much that I have gone watercooled! I would try all that first before prying off the heat spreader. I know Ol'man has done it successfully several times but that would be my last option. I just don't have the money if I should happen to slip, or the ground shakes, or my son bumps me, or ........

Anyway, hope that helps

VP6 Temps

I just realized that you are a senior member,

Which means you are most likely very aware of all the factors of Overclocking and the variables involved. I hope no offense was taken, no offense was meant.

My VP6 actually has a problem with it, and since it was the motherboard used in the first computer I ever built it took me about a year to troubleshoot everything possible in my system to come to that conclusion. I have since become a variable expert on the VP6 but unfortunately mine does not work like it should all the time.

You will notice that your CPU temps will be different.
CPU 2(the one on top) will usually be about 1-2 DegreesC below
CPU1.

Also, this may just be Alpha specific but my temps were also a few degrees lower when the fans blew down onto the processors. That also forced air over the Northbridge.

Go check out VP6-Board.com and also go to highpoint-tech.com for the latest bios/drivers/Raid administrator.

Hope that helps some more.

Whats weird is I have Glaciators and artic silver on the chips and my temps are still high. I'm in fargo ND so ambient temps are pretty low.

right now sandra shows me at 35 for cpu1 and 37 for cpu 2.

I think I'm going to try reseating the glaciators.

I have 4 80mm case fans so airflow is not a problem.

the hs's seem to be tight on the processors and i tried running the machine on its side to see if the glaciators weighed too much but i got the same results.

Your's is running cooler than mine is.It runs at 42 & 44 C @ 100 % load. Been like this for about 6 months.

Back