• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cell Phone Jammers Legal in US?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered, the deal with dr's offices not "allowing" cell phone use?
Cell phones frequently broadcast signals to the nearest tower even when not being used and set to silent. These signals can and do cause interference with medical telemetry devices and medical test equipment such as EKGs and other critical medical instruments.

Get it from here:
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/

You want a desktop unit, not battery powered portable, if you are going to be running it 24/7 or 8-10 hours per day. You don't need a lot of power to shut down a small reception area and it's possible you will interfere with areas outside the office if you have a lot of power. That may very well attract attention from the cell phone companies since you will be a stationary site. That's something you don't want...

Make sure you get the correct frequency if you expect to handle the newr 3G phones. And do keep in mind it's illegal to interfere with properly licensed radio tranmissions per the FCC. Not a smart thing for a doctor to be doing IMHO.

Just to let you know in america it is also illegal to buy jammers without government permision according to a few websites.

I've always wondered, the deal with dr's offices not "allowing" cell phone use?

Back when Cells used analog signals they could mess up some very delicate machinery. The odds were slim but enough that hospitals and such banned them.

I do have to LOL about getting sued because a cell phone would not work where there are signs saying please turn off your cell phones.

And if the OPs Father IS a doctor (he did say Clients not patients) than I think that would be a safer place to have a heart attack cell phone or not.

i found a el cheapo one going for about $40 on dealextreme.com. I remember getting my R4 back in the days for my DS from this place. I might just buy from them and test it out.

Spark Gap generator can jam a wide variety of electronics. It's also illegal regardless of the intent.

It's a silly thing in America. If someone blatantly ignores no cell warning in hospital and the cell phone causes malfunction of the medicinal equipment, the person who depended on it can sue doctors for unsafe equipment. The doctor can try to sue the cell phone user for causing the damage, and the cell phone service for not making it safe to use in hospital.

Yet as you mentioned, jamming phone can also lead to lawsuit if they can't call 911 or something.

Know what I think should be done? Require cell phone provider to block and refuse non-911 cell phone call if the GPS reports them inside any medicinal facility that Goverment deems suseptible to cell phone interference.

Until then, the office could hire an ugly looking female secretary named Helga, and have her glare at anyone who uses cell phones in a no call area. Most people would get nervous when you have a 2000-lbs woman with unibrow and hairy moles bigger than an animal mole staring at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back