• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linksys Router problem, trying to run switch from router but no luck.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jabroni1m

Ok so after all my wireless problems and not being able to get it up and going again I have decided to run drops to all my computers. I have a Linksys WRT54G router which has the cable modem connection coming into the wan port. I then have a lan port coming out of it into a computer right next to the router. That computer works fine. I then have a crossover cable running from another lan port on that router to a 5 port dynex or something switch from best buy. I have it in the first port of the switch which is labeled uplink. I then have another computer hooked up to that switch by a straight cable. This computer sees the network and connects but doesn't have internet. What am I doing wrong or what settings might be set wrong. Thanks for any information. My current thoughts are that I need to rebuild that computer and reinstall the network card.

Well, for starters you should be able to use a regular cat5e or cat6 cable between your 5 port switch and the WRT54g. On the computer that sees the network but has no internet you could approach it from several angles I guess. For starters replace that crossover cable. After that is done I would do the following :

1. Make sure the computer is getting a valid IP address. On most Linksys routers they'll hand out IP addresses something along the lines of 192.168.1.xxx.

2. If it's getting a valid IP address, try and ping your router which should be 192.168.1.1 by default. If it can ping your router then you've got a connection between the two.

3. If it pings the router, try and ping an outside source. I usually ping a DNS server that I know will be online, two of Comcast's DNS servers will be 68.87.77.130 and 68.87.72.130. Google has a few as well now, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If these ping attempst are successful you have connectivity to the outside world.

You can try those 3 steps without replacing the crossover cable if you'd like. In any case try them out and see what happens. Sorry for the quick/sketchy reply, trying to get some studying done.

Thanks for the reply. So between a router and switch I don't have to use crossover? Do I have to use regular run or will crossover work as well? I can change the end if I need to, just making sure before I do it. As for the ip address. When it says its connected to the network and I go to cmd prompt and run an ipconfig on it, it gives some random IP, not along the lines of my router, the typical 192.168.1.xxx like i'd expect. It gets something like 164.140.1.xxx, what might be causing this and should I just assing an ip to it and forget about the router assigning it one?

Well, for starters you should be able to use a regular cat5e or cat6 cable between your 5 port switch and the WRT54g. On the computer that sees the network but has no internet you could approach it from several angles I guess. For starters replace that crossover cable. After that is done I would do the following :

1. Make sure the computer is getting a valid IP address. On most Linksys routers they'll hand out IP addresses something along the lines of 192.168.1.xxx.

2. If it's getting a valid IP address, try and ping your router which should be 192.168.1.1 by default. If it can ping your router then you've got a connection between the two.

3. If it pings the router, try and ping an outside source. I usually ping a DNS server that I know will be online, two of Comcast's DNS servers will be 68.87.77.130 and 68.87.72.130. Google has a few as well now, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If these ping attempst are successful you have connectivity to the outside world.

You can try those 3 steps without replacing the crossover cable if you'd like. In any case try them out and see what happens. Sorry for the quick/sketchy reply, trying to get some studying done.

You shouldn't need a crossover cable in most modern home networks. I've got upwards of 3 routers, 2 switches and 1 or 2 access points...no crossover cable here (don't ask, ever since I started working for an ISP I became quite curious about networking). Typically a crossover cable is used to set up a peer-to-peer connection, like hooking two PCs up directly to each other or hooking an Xbox up to a PC to share a wireless adapter.

If you're getting something alone the lines of 169.x.x.x is usually what Windows assigns itself when it can't communicate with a DHCP server. Try swapping out that cable between your router and switch and see what happens. You might/probably will need to run 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' from the command prompt.

Ok I will change the crossover to a regular cable tomorrow and see what happens. If I still get teh 169 ip after releasing/renewing and swapping the cable then what might it be? Something on the computer itself?

You shouldn't need a crossover cable in most modern home networks. I've got upwards of 3 routers, 2 switches and 1 or 2 access points...no crossover cable here (don't ask, ever since I started working for an ISP I became quite curious about networking). Typically a crossover cable is used to set up a peer-to-peer connection, like hooking two PCs up directly to each other or hooking an Xbox up to a PC to share a wireless adapter.

If you're getting something alone the lines of 169.x.x.x is usually what Windows assigns itself when it can't communicate with a DHCP server. Try swapping out that cable between your router and switch and see what happens. You might/probably will need to run 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' from the command prompt.

I run the same router except mine is the WRT54GL and I also have a Linksys EZXS55W 5-port switch. I just run a regular Cat-5e cable from one lan port on the router to a lan port on the switch. (not using the uplink slot) seems to work ok. :)
EDIT: your 192..... ip comes from your NAT settings witch allow your router to assign and route more than just the one IP address your ISP assigns you. turn on DHCP, set machines to auto and forget about that unless you plan on using static adresses for remote desktop or somthing outside of your LAN.

On a sidenote I also have flashed my WRT54GL with the Tomato firmware and am now playing with the "new" Quality of Service (QoS) settings.:comp:
That way all the stuff I have running though my router plays nice,, no lag while FPS'in on a few machines at once while downloading and VOIP'ing anything i want!! :attn:

Last edited:
Back