• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wifi with 1 antenna to 2 computers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jabroni1m

Ok so my boss has a farm with his main house having high speed internet and his farm house not having any and no way to run a line that far, over a half mile. My questions is if I get a directional high gain antenna and put it at the farm house and point it to the main house and pick up the signal, is there a way I can split that connection to get 2 computers online at the farm house? I don't want to have to purchase/install 2 different antennas for the 2 computers. Is this possible and what equipment would I need?

Can't share an antenna as far as i know.
I would get a wireless repeater (or a router with that capability) and give it the high gain antenna. Then it can rebroadcast to the two computers in the farm house.

I can't comment on getting the wireless signal to the farm house, but assuming you can with the directional antennas, you could just get another wireless router that has the capability to act as a "wireless ethernet bridge" Then you can just run ethernet cables to the new router in the farm. I used to run that setup with a Dlink DGL-4300 as the main router and a wrt54g flashed with dd-wrt in order to turn it into a wireless ethernet bridge.

*edit* Was looking at this,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164156
says you can get up to 2 miles with this antenna on each end. Though estimations are always generous, it sounds like half mile should doable for not too much money. Again though, i just looked this up in 2 seconds, so i'm sure there might be better products or solutions than what i came up with, someone might have a better suggestion.

Last edited:
Back