Last time I overclocked...

Hey guys. I was not sure where to start this thread because I did not see a Overclocking section. Since overclocking starts with the CPU, I figured this was the best place to start it.

The last time I overclocked a PC was 5 years ago with a P4 Socket 478. It was a 2.4ghz processor and I overclocked it to 3.2ghz. It was stable for the past 5 years and now I'm building another PC.

Here's the parts I have:

Core i5 Socket LGA 1156 2.66ghz
    Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B with 2 120mm fans
    EVGA P55 FTW motherboard
    4GB G.Skill Dual-channel DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 275 video card
    Cosair 850HX psu

Since 5 years have past and my new CPU is a quad-core, what has changed as far as overclocking steps go? I remember stepping up the FSB and the Vcore voltage 1 increment at a time in the BIOS. Is this the correct way?

I'm wanting at least between 3 and 4ghz, stable, out of this CPU. Any and all help/info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

Yeah man it's pretty straight forward. I'm running a similar setup to you, it was pretty easy to get to 4.0 Ghz - just inc fsb and small vcore increments when things get unstable.

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Yup, not much has changed. You still get to do the ram ratio shuffle, and all the rest.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7