• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Last time I overclocked...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NS13Stinger

Hey guys. I was not sure where to start this thread because I did not see a Overclocking section. Since overclocking starts with the CPU, I figured this was the best place to start it.

The last time I overclocked a PC was 5 years ago with a P4 Socket 478. It was a 2.4ghz processor and I overclocked it to 3.2ghz. It was stable for the past 5 years and now I'm building another PC.

Here's the parts I have:

Core i5 Socket LGA 1156 2.66ghz
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B with 2 120mm fans
EVGA P55 FTW motherboard
4GB G.Skill Dual-channel DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 275 video card
Cosair 850HX psu

Since 5 years have past and my new CPU is a quad-core, what has changed as far as overclocking steps go? I remember stepping up the FSB and the Vcore voltage 1 increment at a time in the BIOS. Is this the correct way?

I'm wanting at least between 3 and 4ghz, stable, out of this CPU. Any and all help/info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Yeah man it's pretty straight forward. I'm running a similar setup to you, it was pretty easy to get to 4.0 Ghz - just inc fsb and small vcore increments when things get unstable.

Yup, not much has changed. You still get to do the ram ratio shuffle, and all the rest.

Back