• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enthusiast, OC'able dual sockets from intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overvolting

Registered
What has happened to the enthusiast level, overclock capable, dual socket motherboards for intel chips?

I mean, everytime I think back to the dual celeron 300A systems I built... Such nostalgia.

I'm sorry but you just have not experienced overclocking until you take two BUDGET chips, pop them on an abit legend that lets you overvolt and overclock the crap out of them, combine them with the latest and greatest video card and build a system that BLOWS AWAY the $1k flagship chip (by a factor of 2.5x) for less than that CPU alone would have cost.

Remember what that was like? It felt awesome didn't it? How do you bring that feeling of success back? Where are the dual socket enthusiast mobos? Why don't they exist anymore?

R.I.P dually :-(

Imagine what you could do with such a simple thing, you could pop in two of the upcoming gulftowns and have a 12 core box.

Come to think of it, I wish we were free to pop in two of the upcoming I3 processors, bump up the volts, OC the hell out of em, add a 5850 and be in bang for the buck heaven.

LE SIGH!

I think you stated the reason in your question. If it is possible to blow away the flagship with budget chips, then no one buys the flagship. It is all about the dollars.

I personally would love to see dually boards for the i7 wouldn't you? Or anyone for that matter? How many of us have 3 or 4 920s or better laying around? This would be a killer solution for getting those into machines for sure.

I can see how intel might not be inclined to do it, and it wasn't intel supplying the OC dual boards in the past...
The demand is still here, why did the mobos dissapear?

I would even consider paying xeon prices if I could at least OC..
Right now the situation is crazy if you pay premium for the xeons and the dual socket mobo, you still end up getting beaten by a single OC 920 or even i5.

Last edited:
Right now the situation is crazy if you pay premium for the xeons and the dual socket mobo, you still end up getting beaten by a single OC 920 or even i5.

Not true in all cases, it all depends on what type of workload you are benching.

I don't think we'll be seeing any enthusiast dual sockets boards at all since CPUs are going with higher and higher multi-core counts. Dual cores are more or less the norm now with low end Quads becoming very affordable. Pretty soon Intel will have Octo-cores (16 logical cores with HT), and the core count will only continue to get higher in the coming years.

I'm surprised the server side of computing hasn't dropped dual sockets yet in favor of single socket, high core count processors, which would also save on the electricity bill too.

Back