• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems finding notfred on network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roisen

I can't seem to find my notfred client on the network. I've tried the IP address in a browser, the hostname in explorer, I've tried with all three networking types, I've tried putting both the IP address and hostname into HFM.. Yeah.

Last edited:
If you're attempting to access the VM via network from the same machine that is hosting the VM, you may have an issue if you're running XP. Vista and Windows 7 should be fine.

You also want Bridged Networking. NAT or Host-only will definitely hide the VM from other machines on the network.

Move it back to Bridged... let it fire up and report its IP address, then try to ping it.

Setting it to bridged causes it to not have any internet connection at all.

Also, the VM is on the same computer that i am trying to access it from.

Last edited:
Bridged will cause the VM to appear as if on the same network as the host machine. Does it get any IP address when you set it to bridged?
In your VM screenshot I see an 192.168.190.128, if your computer, the host, is not on the 192.168.190.x network it will be difficult to monitor.

Bridged will cause the VM to appear as if on the same network as the host machine. Does it get any IP address when you set it to bridged?
In your VM screenshot I see an 192.168.190.128, if your computer, the host, is not on the 192.168.190.x network it will be difficult to monitor.

I set one of my spare ethernet ports to 192.168.190.10 with a default gateway of 192.168.190.128, with the VM still set to NAT, and that seemed to do the trick.

Thanks guys

Setting it to bridged causes it to not have any internet connection at all.

That's not right... it sounds like there's nothing (no router) dishing out DHCP.

I set one of my spare ethernet ports to 192.168.190.10 with a default gateway of 192.168.190.128, with the VM still set to NAT, and that seemed to do the trick.

Although I'm glad you got it working... it should not be that difficult. Unless you're purposefully running a no-DHCP, static IP network. In that case, you're using VMWare to assign the IP that the notfred's VM needs (by using N.A.T. selection from VMWare), and you're own networking ninja to make them talk.

Admittedly, I know little about networks beyond having to memorize the TCP/IP stack at one point in school, some rudimentary packet delivery schemes (including ethernet), network classes (A, B, & C), and how to wire the end of a cable in 'B' style. Routing and Gateways are where my networking ninja ends... I more of a plug-n-chug kinda guy. :D

Back