• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final upgrade: aging x2 4400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nimhs

Registered
I will be building a new rig soon but would like to upgrade my existing comp as I still plan to get significant use from it as a second box for MMO play

current rig:

athlon 64 x2 4400
DFI LP nF4 expert
2 gigs gskill ram
seasonic s12-600
7800gt
P180 case

I was thinking of spending about 100-150 dollars on a graphics card and calling it a day. Any insight on the best gpu to pair with the aging processor? I don't want more card than I need.

If its helpful, games I intend to play are mainly eq2 and maybe Aion when I build new box. Also play WoW on occasion. I'd use my new comp for all my main gaming needs. Right now I play 1600x1200 but that could change if I get new monitors (still rocking the CRT!)
If anyone can convince me of another path for short money, I'm all ears.

a used 8800gt for about $80 will do you wonders
is the x2 4400 at stock? it may need a pretty hefty overclock to keep up with any modern gpu

id go +1 on overclocking the 4400 as high as temps/stability can take it. Then a 9800gt would probably be more than adequate.. and though the cpu might still bottleneck, you'd still have a decent enough rig to play the titles you suggested

How about a 9800gtx+ ?

9800gtx+

This one is available at the local bestbuy i think. Only reason I'd think of picking one up there instead of newegg is because i have a gift certificate for 100 bucks. Plus, it sure is convenient to just drive 10 minutes instead of ordering online.

Any input on getting a 9800gtx+ ?

Maybe the cpu isn't worth the upgrade. If anyone can show me a cheep cpu/mb/ram combo that will work in my box, go for it.

I plan on a full build soon though and would just like this comp to improve its performance in specific games. EQ2 and Aion most likely. I will continue to use it even when I get my new rig.

on a budget of 100-150 getting a cpu+mb+ram would be rough to next to impossible, even for lower budget AMD processors...probably hitting the 150 mark with just mb/cpu alone..

I still vote for trying to OC your current processor and get the 9800gtx since your PSU can handle it. Since you plan on rebuilding a new system in the near future, you should probably try for the quick solution of the "good enough for now" route

Start posting in the mobo section seeing if someone can help you get some stable settings for overclocking that 4400.. if you dont have an aftermarket heatsink, you might want to think about something there too.. could probably get one for <$40

I picked up the 98000gtx+. It's already installed and seems to be working well. I had to do some slight modifications to the DFI motherboard (ie. I tore off the top shield of the chipset fan. haha) I fired up eq2 and it's definitely smoother. Not a huge fps jump but less stuttering for sure. It's a highly cpu dependent game though from what I understand.

The card is SO quiet compare to my old 7800gt. I swear it was worth the 100 bucks just for the silence. Especially since it's going to become more of an everyday pc as oppose to my gamer.

I use to overclock when I first built the rig. I sort of lost interest with it though. It's been years since I've messed around much in the bios. I'll definitely be needing some help getting a good / stable overclock.

I messed around a bit earlier today but failed prime95 not too long after. haha.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I'm seriously enjoying the piece and quiet and I'm sure i'll see some nice performance gains. The 7800 was ancient.

Back