• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I had a weak moment...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was building up a multi-day frosty pic for y'all, after one day it was looking might nice, buuuuut then we had a 6.5 earthquake ~35 miles away that killed the power. So much for that. On the plus side nothing was damaged in my house or the shop.

woah this guy is crazy (in a good way) I never thought of running a water cooled setup with auto hardware (run the rad outside of the house with anti freeze anyone?). rads can cost 100 for a cheap new one. not sure if that is good price considering it's probably more than capable of handling the job. probably need to rig a 12v power source for the automotive radiator fan.

Glad you like ti!

I hope to get it installed on my e1200 today :D

You can get smaller cheap car radiators for $36 shipped (civic stuff, ~12"x12"), this one was $75 or so, but it's 25x17x1 or something like that, with a really intense fin density (~14FPI? More?).
I suspect the fan is mostly blowing air over the surface of the radiator, but given a 25x17 surface area it probably still has more surface area then all the fins on a 3x120. It certainly has a better flow path and it flows a ton of water :D
Something over [email protected].

I was considering an automotive fan, if i had a place i could put the radiator where i didn't have to hear it (them things are loud!) i would. Course it's already running water temps 6-8*f above ambient, so it wouldn't be worth all that much temp wise.

Progress is being made, the motherboard's new shiny conformal coating is drying on a heater vent (too cold here to dry any other way in less then a week). Got the water cooling set up and a bunch of ice in the freezer to toss into the bucket/res.
I figure ice water cooling a tec cooling the cpu ought to get me somewhere.
If i still can't get past 411fsb on this e1200 i'm going to be ****ed.
I'll probably make myself a copper pipe pot and throw dice at it till something happens.:rock:

EDIT:
In an ideal world the water'd even be sub freezing, it has enough antifreeze in it to hit ~10*f before it starts freezing.

2.EDIT:
This is a good start. This is a water cooled pelt and the cpu at 2.66ghz 1.5vcore cpuz. No ice in the bucket-res cooling the pelt either, so ~25*c water temps. Next up is more insulation and a bag of ice in the bucket, should drop the water temps at least 20*c.

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Back