• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hose clamps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No you didn't....I kinda read between the lines ;)

So why do you overdo it instead using a elegant solution that makes your innards look better ?

fancy my new t-shirt ??
I've got no opinion on zip ties. Wouldn't use them myself, but I don't begrudge those that do.

I overdo it because I'm overly careful. I also don't think they look bad. Placed haphazardly they can, but I even go so far as to angle all clamps the same way. They're shiny and silver, good enough for my tastes.

As for your new t-shirt, congratulations, it's equally as chauvinistic as the last one.

I've got no opinion on zip ties. Wouldn't use them myself, but I don't begrudge those that do.

I overdo it because I'm overly careful. I also don't think they look bad. Placed haphazardly they can, but I even go so far as to angle all clamps the same way. They're shiny and silver, good enough for my tastes.

As for your new t-shirt, congratulations, it's equally as chauvinistic as the last one.

You can do this experiment for me - only three simple questions ? take a high quality "sharp" barb (like bitspower) - from now on lets say you are a n00b on wc?

1: do you know where to place the hose clamp on the barb ?
2 : where do you place the hose clamp on a stub barb ?
3: when do you know that you have torqued the worm enough ?

Yeah I can see an imagenary picture of a sweety n00b playing with a wrong sized screwdriver above his motherboard.... :bday:

Hoseclamps safe ? well... simple questions for you maybe -but for a n00b ???

Are these trick questions? Heh. If you water cool, I think they can be figured out, even by a noob. Lest they cannot and someone searches, let's answer them for them. Heck, maybe I'll learn something. This is what I'd do:

1. I'd put it against the top-most groove. The one that sticks out ever so slightly more than the rest.
2. Same, but this one's easier. Most of the time, they fit perfectly between the extruded part of the barb and the base.
3. By feel. Anyone moderately mechanically inclined can tell when it's tight enough. You certainly don't want the tubing sticking out the grooves in the worm drive, nor do you want it loose enough that it's doing no good.

Do I pass?

Oh, and I think that photo is much better. Thank you.

You can do this experiment for me - only three simple questions ? take a high quality "sharp" barb (like bitspower) - from now on lets say you are a n00b on wc?

1: do you know where to place the hose clamp on the barb ?
2 : where do you place the hose clamp on a stub barb ?
3: when do you know that you have torqued the worm enough ?

Yeah I can see an imagenary picture of a sweety n00b playing with a wrong sized screwdriver above his motherboard.... :bday:

Hoseclamps safe ? well... simple questions for you maybe -but for a n00b ???

I really agree with your questions. Even tho your beating a dead horse and seem to be good at it, just a bit tho.

ALL 3 of your questions is why watercooling isn't for everyone. Before I decided to go with watercooling, being an old guy and many different job experiances, I had done enough to know the answer to all 3 questions.

I also did it carefully, which any new watercooler should do. If they can't figure it out, well we'll try to help the best we can. Maybe they should just buy a Dell ya know?

Don't fret it xtreeme. You won't convert anyone to go out and do it your way because your way must be right. You can fly to their house and petition outside their front door if you want.

But we really don't care anymore, it's a dead horse. Needs to be left alone.

Agreed, we aren't no 14 year old game site where the best B88B pic makes you better than everyone else. Mine? A flaming smoked PC table where it didn't go right.

Are these trick questions? Heh. If you water cool, I think they can be figured out, even by a noob. Lest they cannot and someone searches, let's answer them for them. Heck, maybe I'll learn something. This is what I'd do:

1. I'd put it against the top-most groove. The one that sticks out ever so slightly more than the rest.
2. Same, but this one's easier. Most of the time, they fit perfectly between the extruded part of the barb and the base.
3. By feel. Anyone moderately mechanically inclined can tell when it's tight enough. You certainly don't want the tubing sticking out the grooves in the worm drive, nor do you want it loose enough that it's doing no good.

Do I pass?

Oh, and I think that photo is much better. Thank you.

You pass - i didn't expect other as this was easy questions (hehe)

But what with John n00b ? will he pass ? or will he have a easier time with other solutions than worm type hose clamps ?
Can you see that eager teenager using his muscles tightening the hose clamp which he has placed on top of the sharp barb ? Yes I have seen the result of that too.

I will have to let parts of the cat out - I have been watercooling since before it was commercial available. I am partly responsible for that a certain watercooling brand was born- I have seen my ideas been stolen (but I fear that things like this will look like I am bragging.. so I prefer to be anonymous)

I have no problems "packing my sack" and leave here, I know that I am extremely direct which can be very frustrating for other users. I'll leave peacefully without any problems for JC or any others..

happy chistmas !

thank you

xtreeme, while you like zip ties, not everyone cares to use them. For my systems I rather use worm drive clamps too, just to have that extra security feeling. Since I also work offshore too and I leave my systems up and running while I'm gone, I want to make doubly sure I have done all I can to keep anything from happening to my systems while I'm at work. And for me, worm drive clamps instead of zip ties or herbie clamps feels the safest.

As for your illustration of that worm drive clamp cutting the tubing, there are worm drive clamps especially designed for soft tubing such as these ones and won't pinch the tubing, if you are worried about that happening.

As for the looks of worm drive clamps, well that is a matter of taste to me. I find that they don't detract from the looks of my systems to me. But it is all a matter of what floats each individual's boat on that. I've done the zip tie method in the past and just didn't feel safe enough with them; same thing for the herbie clamps and I think the herbie clamps are kind of ugly and bulky too.

I like the look of worm drive clamps, honestly like the look of them. And the reason I prefer to use them is that this is my first WC build (my first build in general since pentium 4 in fact) and as this computer has cost more than $4600 and will surely cost me more when nVidia launches their top gt3 cards (if they beat ati I am switching back) I do NOT want any compromise in safety.

That being said, if you read my earlier post in this thread, I state that I have used a couple zip ties to secure the tubing to the barb so I do believe they can do the job. If I thought not having a proper clamp was going to be an issue, I would have pulled it down and rebuilt it with clamps.

I simply don't like using zipties for anything other than cable routing. I'm just not sure whether or not to use herbie clamps, worm drives or whatnot

i bought the swifty compact kit used the little plastic clamps with zip ties around the clamp... bout 1 yr.. no leaks..

Did I say the words zip tie somewhere in my post that I missed?

I use 7/16" ID tubing on 1/2" barbs. When I changed my CPU block last night, I had to cut it off with a razor. That doesn't mean I'm not going to put clamps on there. We're using water in a computer. Even if there is slim to zero chance of a leak, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I agree. You spend, oh, $2 to say $30, depending on the number of connections and the type of clamping you use. And there by greatly reduce the risk of a leak that could damage $2000 to $3000 worth of electronics.:rolleyes: That's pretty cheap insurance.

It's the usual issue: a failure with a low probabilty of occurrence, but with catastrophic results if it does occur. Don't you buy insurance for your car? Don't you want to have fire and theft insurance for your house or apartment (flat, for our UK friends)? :shrug:

x509

I started out using worm drive clamps with 1/2" ID tubing on plain barbs pre-Bitspower. I found that with this size of tubing and barbs, clamps were needed to seal the connection. I used the smooth lined clamps from Mcmaster which didn't cut into the tubing, and they worked well. As I moved to using black tubing, I changed to using black plastic clamps also from Mcmaster. They are very heavy duty and I have been able to use and reuse them.

When I moved all of my barbs over to Bitspower fittings, and switched to 7/16"ID tubing, I found that the tubing is on so tight that clamps aren't needed, and zip ties work fine. I use two zip ties pulled tight with pliers on each barb. I think that black zip ties look much better on black tubing, and they are easier to install and remove than clamps are. I still will use clamps in places where I'm not using Bitspower fittings to make sure there are no leaks (i.e when using soldered-in Pex barbs with copper elbows as the 1/2" ones are actually 7/16"), Zip ties with this combination tubing/barbs works great and is completely leak free, and even given the fact that I air pressure test at 9-10psi, they simply do not leak.

after trying out a zip tie on some swiftech barbs and 1/2" tubing i would feel safe with zip ties on the tubing. but since i have gear clamps and herbies and they are easier to remove i will stick with them.

ok so I have come to the conclusion that it was a dud clamp. The 1/2"ID 3/4"OD tubing on 1/2" barbs is tight and not leaking, Zip ties work fine and are more attractive in some peoples view provided they are secured appropriately (2 ties, with the locking thing on opposite sides of the tubing) Herbie clamps with the exception of my dud work fine as do worm drive clamps.

So it all boils down to each persons preference in regards to appearence and ease of use, with the results being mixed.

I think for now I will leave the zipties on that one as the black zip ties don't look out of place amongst the black herbies, and when I pull the loop down for its first cleaning or to change it round a bit or whatnot I will put on some worm drives as I do like that subtle industrius look.

Well thats that then. Feel free to hijack the thread for talk on clamps and fittings and whatever else. Just don't talk about kittens, too off topic, save that for general discussion. :p

The thread is yours!

Thanks for the help guys,
JP

Thnaks Mudd, I needed that.

Hope he hasn't wandered off too far, he's experianced we like that here.

It was more a reaction from me in case I was about to be banned for my T-shirt's ;) ...and now muddocktor is on my back because of my signature :shrug: (edited sig)

I'd rather go voluntarely instead of beeing censored or even banned if you know what I mean.

So if you don't like my sig or t-shirt's just ask me to f*uck off and I'll be gone - it's no big deal :salute:

Last edited:
So it all boils down to each persons preference

exactly... and my point was : zip-ties do the job - and not as one guy early in the thread bombastic stated : "Zip ties are good if you want to fry some electronics due to a leak." <<-- that's bulls*hit

Edit: just cleaned a guys CPU contacts, he's been running his system for over over a year now....with zip-ties as you can see (and he became stable at 4,2 again - with HT on - after we added air-cooling for his memory :) )

25k5r7q.jpg

Last edited:
It was more a reaction from me in case I was about to be banned for my T-shirt's ;) ...and now muddocktor is on my back because of my signature :shrug: (edited sig)

I'd rather go voluntarely instead of beeing censored or even banned if you know what I mean.

So if you don't like my sig or t-shirt's just ask me to f*uck off and I'll be gone - it's no big deal :salute:
No one wants you gone. We value your experience and would like it around. There are, however, rules that must be followed. He's on you about your sig likely because of #7 in the User Agreement:
7. Political and religious discussions have no place here therefore they are not allowed.
That extends to signatures as well. It's not censorship, it's a rule you agreed to by signing up. Certainly don't want you to f*** off, just abide by the rules, that's all.

No one wants you gone. We value your experience and would like it around. There are, however, rules that must be followed. He's on you about your sig likely because of #7 in the User Agreement:

That extends to signatures as well. It's not censorship, it's a rule you agreed to by signing up. Certainly don't want you to f*** off, just abide by the rules, that's all.

I seldom read a manual - do you ?

And "environmentalism " is not a religion as you might now :) , it's a sarcastic term.
Nothing in my sig is politics either - this is just my opinion.
And I have "adjusted" my sig and I removed the link to http://www.climategate.com/ :cool:
Reminds me when I overclocked a 386DX back in '85 - a so called hw site meant I did curse in the church :shrug:

I still think your sig is something preached on a soapbox. Not really worth it's pixle space in a technical forum. Why not your rig specs instead?

Had enuff soapbox about how to clamp fittings.
Lets talk cooling and PCs here, not the world finances or the environment.

It don't bother me, I ignore it. But pointing it out because I can..

I started out using worm drive clamps with 1/2" ID tubing on plain barbs pre-Bitspower. I found that with this size of tubing and barbs, clamps were needed to seal the connection. I used the smooth lined clamps from Mcmaster which didn't cut into the tubing, and they worked well. As I moved to using black tubing, I changed to using black plastic clamps also from Mcmaster. They are very heavy duty and I have been able to use and reuse them.

When I moved all of my barbs over to Bitspower fittings, and switched to 7/16"ID tubing, I found that the tubing is on so tight that clamps aren't needed, and zip ties work fine. I use two zip ties pulled tight with pliers on each barb. I think that black zip ties look much better on black tubing, and they are easier to install and remove than clamps are. I still will use clamps in places where I'm not using Bitspower fittings to make sure there are no leaks (i.e when using soldered-in Pex barbs with copper elbows as the 1/2" ones are actually 7/16"), Zip ties with this combination tubing/barbs works great and is completely leak free, and even given the fact that I air pressure test at 9-10psi, they simply do not leak.

That's what I use and I also find it difficult to remove the tube off those bitspower barb. Hence, I only use zip-ties and not the more secure metal clamps.

PS: Get yourself a few extenders to help remove your tube. I find using 2 of these very useful.

sidewindercomputers_2084_1310793

sidewindercomputers_2086_66964768

Back