• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Me decide on Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJ

Should I go 64 bit or stick with 32? on my new build......its mostly a gaming rig.. with AMD 965 CPU and 4G ram existing OS is XP Pro

4 gigs of memory should pretty much answer your question. Windows 7 32 bit will only allow you to use up to about 3 and half of that 4 gigs. That means you would be losing at least 512 megs. You can use all of it and have no problems upgrading with 64 bit.

I would recommend 64bit. You will get full use of your 4GB and if you upgrade to more RAM in the future, you won't have to buy a new copy to be able to use it.

If you use a 32bit version with your 4GB, you won't be able to utilize all 4GB. I forget exactly how it all works, but you will only end up with like ~3.5GB of usable RAM

EDIT:
BTW, if it's compatibility you are worried about, drivers and stuff are mostly at the point where you don't have to worry too much. Unless you have some really old peripherals for which the manufacturers have not provided compatible drivers, you should be fine! Same if you use any really old applications. The majority of people don't, and will be just fine with Win7 64bit!

You do not need to buy a new copy in the future to switch to 64bit.

Having said that, unless you have some pressing need to go 32bit, there really is no discussion. 64bit or stick with XP

I've been using W7-64 since the release candidate. I was worried about all kinds of driver/program compatibility. So far I haven't had any issues. The Windows team did a really good job of including drivers for a lot of older hardware. The only thing that happened that was even close to an issue was a mislabeled printer in an .ini file. Specifically I couldn't connect to a networked printer, a Canon S600. Tried everything and finally plugged it directly into the W7 box. To my surprise it installed right up. After checking the included .ini file for it, it was labeled as "Canon Inkjet S600" where XP and Vista drivers identified it as simply a "Canon S600". After changing that everything else was fine.

Software compatibility has been a non-issue. I wish I had been as confident about that during the pre-order phase. I ordered W7 Pro for $100 because I wanted XP mode. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered and saved myself $50 since I haven't had an issue I couldn't address.

To further alleviate your concerns. The upgrade packages contain both 32 and 64 bit CDs. They can be installed clean using the Vista upgrade path. Simply install without a key. Reboot and upgrade your non-genuine copy. It's fairly straight forward. My only regret was not jumping on a family pack of home upgrades while they were still available.

Ok cool now what version you guys running pro or home upgrade or full? OEM or retail

IMO there is no reason to go 64bit. IIRC, there will be no 32bit version of Win 8, so you might as well get used to 64bit now.

I always buy OEM. I will never call M$ for support, and I will probably keep this system until at least when Win 8 comes out.

x64 isn't perfect for the working environment I can say that much. Win7 x64 does not play nice with older printers. Especially in a networked environment. The copier in my office took me all day (since the manufacturer had like 4 or 5 drivers to use on their site for XP and Vista) and they would all install fine, but only 1 would actually print.

To top it off, I needed to have UAC on the 2nd lowest level for all my printer installs to have them working.

Also, PALM doesn't make any 64bit drivers for their Palmpilots...as I found out when setting up my supervisor with it. This prevents you from syncing with a cable completely. You have to use WiFi or a Bluetooth connection instead.

Just wanted to put that out there, since it seems like 99% of the people on the forums haven't used it outside of home. But in the home, it's great.

I don't see any compelling reason to go OEM over one of the retail upgrades unless you're planning to go with Ultimate. Also the academic upgrade is still available until January for $30.

I was reading somewhere in the forums saying that If I go OEM and need to change MB out Im basically screwd I would have to buy another copy of W7

I was reading somewhere in the forums saying that If I go OEM and need to change MB out Im basically screwd I would have to buy another copy of W7
If you go by the EULA yes, this is correct. However, if you call MS and tell them you needed to reinstall the OS because of a system failure they will not ask questions and give you another activation code... also, you can generally reactivate every 6 months or so without issue.

Yeah, that is like back when you could only get OEM with the purchase of system componets, so shops would throw in a floppy cable with your OEM purchase.

What constitutes as the same computer is very very hazy. I have heard of people installing genuine keys over and over again, calling in every time and getting it activated, no questions asked.

Hmm ok that's what I was worried about becuase I usually reformat 2 -3 times a year.. plus the hardware failures do to O/C Thanks Guy's OBTW since I dont network would the home version be the best to go with?

Last edited:
Hmm ok that's what I was worried about becuase I usually reformat 2 -3 times a year.. plus the hardware failures do to O/C Thanks Guy's OBTW since I dont network would the home version be the best to go with?
Well I think Ill go with the 64 bit Home version I don't need all the networking stuff plus if I nee XP mode they I can use my XP disc to incorporate it thx for the help guys

also realize that 64bit will only let you use WHQL signed drivers, so the the hardware manufacturer does not have WHQL drivers, you will be out of luck.

Back