• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32nm Core i3, i5 Already shipped.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The i3 dual cores will make nice cheap gaming machines.

(Well, they will will once 1156 motherboards come down in price. Last I looked I think the cheapest was $120?)
Cheapest non-oc board is $89, cheapest semi-oc board is $99. Those are mATX boards, you can get decent ATX boards for around 100-110, im using newegg pricing.

Will the on chip GPU need a special motherboard to be used with it? Or will it use current IGP motherboards, disable the IGP and pass the video signal through the IGPS I/O ports?

Overvolt... AFAIK 890 chipsets are due out the same time as these.
New new mobo will be needed any LGA1156 will be able to use the new cpus. You seem to forget the cpu has PCIE lanes. the video talkes over those lanes to the cpu... the only thing that seems to be needed that is special is either onboard video ports or a slot card to give the video ports. that is the only thing that hasnt bee talked about.

Yeah but they'll never be able to compare to a dedicated GPU would they?
Depending on the GPU it could get close to its performance. say like the NV 8300GS or ATI 2400Pro. How power full of a video chipset do you need to run word,excel and surf the net or check email?

Intels new on-chip IGP requires a new chipset to function, it's the H series if i remember correctly.
AMD's coming on-chip graphics core is for GPGPU use rather then graphics, at least that's what i read recently. Hence it'll probably work with current AM3 mobos after a bios update.

Intels current IGPs are just fine for non-gaming stuff, i'm on an X3100 right now. For gaming it's garbage, but if you don't need 3d effects there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Course it won't even think about decoding bluray for you. I don't think it even has a dvd decoder.

hmm wierd bob, i thought it would work on P55 as well.. well at least it is still the same socket... maybe i read something backwards... you should be able to use that cpu-IGP on any lga1156 board. i guess on p55 oncpu video wont work but the cpu will.

word over @ XS is these new i5's and i3 chips (the duals) use the same mem controller as p45. thats why people havent been posting the easy huge memory overclocks.

(shameless) cross links.

post 15 here
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241328

another example
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241378

i guess it's gonna come down to being happy with a quad (870/860/750) @ 4 ~ 4.2GHz 24/7 w/ ram @ 2000 or 2200 (is the new hottness I think) or a 4.5GHz(+) dual w/ lower overall Ram.

i think the controller on the new 1156 quads is VERY strong and would hate to give that up 24/7. but 4.5+ for 24/7 is interesting.

Mmmmmm

Cheapest non-oc board is $89, cheapest semi-oc board is $99. Those are mATX boards, you can get decent ATX boards for around 100-110, im using newegg pricing.

Glad to see they are finally selling a "budget" motherbaord at the correct prices :) When they first came out all the boards were in the $200 range. Ridiculous!

New new mobo will be needed any LGA1156 will be able to use the new cpus. You seem to forget the cpu has PCIE lanes. the video talkes over those lanes to the cpu... the only thing that seems to be needed that is special is either onboard video ports or a slot card to give the video ports. that is the only thing that hasnt bee talked about.
I am not forgetting anything. Why make that comment? Also you contradict yourself "the only thing that needs to be special" which is what I was asking, do we need something special to make this work?

Intels new on-chip IGP requires a new chipset to function, it's the H series if i remember correctly.
AMD's coming on-chip graphics core is for GPGPU use rather then graphics, at least that's what i read recently. Hence it'll probably work with current AM3 mobos after a bios update.

Intels current IGPs are just fine for non-gaming stuff, i'm on an X3100 right now. For gaming it's garbage, but if you don't need 3d effects there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Course it won't even think about decoding bluray for you. I don't think it even has a dvd decoder.

Yeah that is why I was asking. "taking over" the PCIE lanes on the socket 1156 processor still does not get that signal to your monitor. Using existing IGP boards, there would be another GPU in the way, an expansion slot card would be the most feasible explanation to make it backwards compatible. Based on Bobnova's explanation and a recent video Intel video I watched though, looks like it will in fact be a new platform launch though.

One other thing I saw in the video I thought was hilarious. they were demonstrating the onchip GPUs ability to play HD video. (in a 640x480 window on the monitor though,, and oohing and aahing about the clarity.. I found it quite funny)

You can play HD video on any processor out within the last few years, and GPU accelerated video uses only 3% of a HD3600 series capability.

EDIT: The video to which I am referring is here

EDIT EDIT:
I thought we had youtube embedding on this forum apparently not :p

The specific part is at 5 minutes in

word over @ XS is these new i5's and i3 chips (the duals) use the same mem controller as p45. thats why people havent been posting the easy huge memory overclocks.

(shameless) cross links.

post 15 here
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241328

another example
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241378

i guess it's gonna come down to being happy with a quad (870/860/750) @ 4 ~ 4.2GHz 24/7 w/ ram @ 2000 or 2200 (is the new hottness I think) or a 4.5GHz(+) dual w/ lower overall Ram.

i think the controller on the new 1156 quads is VERY strong and would hate to give that up 24/7. but 4.5+ for 24/7 is interesting.

Mmmmmm

No the memory controller is fine those links reference a register setting not the actual performance of the memory controller. And the other complaining about "only" being able to run 1500 ish MHz effective on the RAM is also running CAS 5 :)

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the i3... Now I can build budget systems for customers while using a socket that will not be the end of the road. And having a GPU on CPU, looks promising...

Glad to see they are finally selling a "budget" motherbaord at the correct prices :) When they first came out all the boards were in the $200 range. Ridiculous!

well neuro the boards have been a for a while... i got all my mATX boards about 2months after LGA1156 released.. the prices for the Asrock P55M-pro drops only $10 and the GA-P55M-UD2 droped the same. the GA-P55M-UD4 is the only board that stayed the same in price, at $149 though it isnt a bad board at all. Consider the cheapest ocing LGA1366 mobo is $169 from MSI. From what i can tell the MSI board(LGA1366 mATX) has a 4+2 phase so ocing a 920 on it is going to be limited. the next step from there is the EVGA board mATX LGA1366@$209 with a 6+2 phase. would do better then the MSI but for the same price $209 you can get Asus Gene. which looks to have 6+2 as well. all things considering the LGA1156 GA-P55M-UD4@149 is a great bang for the buck with ocing in mind.

No the memory controller is fine those links reference a register setting not the actual performance of the memory controller. And the other complaining about "only" being able to run 1500 ish MHz effective on the RAM is also running CAS 5 :)

they say it's locked too. (thumbs down)

The early billing for i3 was that it was slightly updated core2 cores with a built in memory controller.
Given the IGP, i bet it's essentially a next generation of G45, they just moved the northbridge onto the processor package.
B55 is the chipset i think.

The early billing for i3 was that it was slightly updated core2 cores with a built in memory controller.
Given the IGP, i bet it's essentially a next generation of G45, they just moved the northbridge onto the processor package.
B55 is the chipset i think.

What!? What early billing is this?

It uses Core i7 nehalem type cores shrunk to 32nm, not core2 duo. The memory controller is not on die it's on package with the GPU but separate from the cpu and they're on 45nm.

The GPU from what people are saying who already have one, is new silicon based on 2x GMA500 + some HD video decoding.

The Chipsets are the P55, H55, H57.
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/12/23/asus-gets-overexcited-starts-selling-h57-boards/

Last edited:
I am not forgetting anything. Why make that comment? Also you contradict yourself "the only thing that needs to be special" which is what I was asking, do we need something special to make this work?

maybe i said it wrong then... From the stand point of P55 the only thing as you want to call "special" would need to be a add-in card in a PCIE slot. To take the rendered info and then to this add-in card to have the video out puts. That is if intel wanted to offer that to current P55 owners or future ones for that matter. There is nothing stopping the new dual+on package video from working on current P55 boards. What i mean by "working" is that we can use the cpu but not the video, which is why i talked about a add-in card (agian if intel does it or wants to). the new chipset as covered will have the video ports from what i understand. Meaning any video info is routed to VGA/HDMI/Display Port already built on the motherboard. As it seems clear to me intel will not be releasing just a dual core cpu, but only ones with on package video.

I'm sure it is based on the OLD tech, however I read that it plays WoW no problem.
It's also pretty good at playing blu-ray stuff apparently.

I'm sure it's goal is to be low power and cheap first, with entry level performance. There's a reason why a 5870 takes up so much space and power.

Playing wow with no problems for 90% of the community is 15FPS on low settings, or so my polling has determined.

My girlfriend is spoiled rotten, has an OC'd E5300 and an 8800GTS to play with. WoW is her *****. :)

Also, Quake Live is awesome, and the perfect type of game for a netbook. I need to play some more of it...

hmm wierd bob, i thought it would work on P55 as well.. well at least it is still the same socket... maybe i read something backwards... you should be able to use that cpu-IGP on any lga1156 board. i guess on p55 oncpu video wont work but the cpu will.

Correct, i3 will work in P55...but only without the IGP.

How is this cheaper (In the long run) than a cheap Core2 mATX box with a 9400 or ATI equivelant in it?

How is it cheaper (in the long run) than a pentium III 650mhz?
How is it cheaper in the long run than some broccoli?
How is it cheaper than a salmon?
How is it cheaper than deez nuts.

Your question is ridiculous and you are stupid.

It's a 32nm arrandale/westmere core which is 20% faster clock for clock on lots of things than a core2 and overclocks to over 4.5ghz on air.

This is simply uncalled for. He asked a question, if you can't answer it, you've wasted your time typing, and my time reading this post.

We don't need more people in here calling each other stupid. Please stop.

As for answering the question, I've been very happy with my setup, which is an i5 750, if this will clock similarly well and give similar performance compared to a core 2 it's wroth it in every way, providing pricing is better, and if it offers you the potential of buying a better chip like the 750, than in the long run, it gives you something 775 wouldn't: An upgrade path.

Back