• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using A Freezer To Cool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sweefu

Hey,
i'm not planning on doing this but i was just wondering, would building a computer in a small freezer work? i know why it wouldnt work in a mini fridge but i am guessing the condenser in a freezer is larger as it aims to cool things much more (at least -4c)..

anyone have any ideas or input?
Ever seen it?

Cheers.

if you'll read the stickies you find out that most don't recommend a freezer or fridge because the compressors on them aren't meant to run all the time, and since a pc is constantly putting out heat it will need to run all the time.

No worries mate cheers, i read why a fridge wouldnt work but i thought a freezer might because it would be cooling to a lower temp so it wouldnt be as much work on the freezer.
Thanks for clearing that up.

A full size freezer or fridge would work much better then a mini-fridge. Both might work given a lot of airflow over both the motor/compressor and over the cooling coils.

A chest deep freezer would be the best, they're built for way below freezing (-30*c? More?) so they have beefier parts. Even then it isn't built for 24/7 operation.

Depends on whether it cost money or not.
For cheap or free, sure, you won't lose much if it fails.

If you have to pay money, no.

It would be cheaper, more efficient, and you would see better temps from a purpose built Single Stage. Like Bobnova said... if it's free, go for it... you'll still need to put money into it to try and adapt it to a PC.

Just for the record... you're not talking about putting the components inside the freezer and turning it on... are you? That's a no-no.

If you did do it, you'd either have to use an SSD or keep the hard drive outside of the freezer... don't need ice building up on that nice shiny spinning platter lol

Thanks for the replies here guys. if i find a free or extremely cheap mini freezer i'll get it, otherwise i'll leave the idea.
But thankyou for the help.
Cheers.

Back