• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Bios for P5N32-E and Q9550 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You could also contact Asus for a bios chip

That's what I was thinking.

I suppose I would get the original BIOS that came with the board 12XX or whatever. And then I'd want to flash it first to whatever BIOS is recommended for the Q6600 / P5N32-E SLI.

I would go for a new BIOS, and yes the BIOS is in its own socket. Not sure what version the BIOS would be. It may say on the website tho.

The ebay sellers ask what version you want on the chip. Asus would use the newest version I would assume but it wouldn't hurt to be clear that's the version you want on the chip.

OK, the next step in trouble shooting this is to get a new BIOS chip from ASUS. And it would help for them to know the CPU (Q6600) and version B0.

But if that doesn't work, suspect the hard drive is the problem, or get a new mobo (if one can be found)?

It won't be the HDD. You could always unplug everything and just try to boot with the CPU, RAM & Vid card installed. If you get a new BIOS chip and it still dont work then its time for a new mobo.

And if your planning on getting a new mobo I say go for a newer nForce780i or Intel chipset.

It won't be the HDD. You could always unplug everything and just try to boot with the CPU, RAM & Vid card installed. If you get a new BIOS chip and it still dont work then its time for a new mobo.

And if your planning on getting a new mobo I say go for a newer nForce780i or Intel chipset.

One possible problem buying this mobo new. I doubt it's still available.

Another problem is I want to use the same hard drive with the OS and programs, which seems best done on the current mobo or next best on a new mobo of the same make/model.

Well Ebay it is then if you want the same mobo. Even if you got the current HDD to boot with a new mobo I would be worried about driver issues.

Well Ebay it is then if you want the same mobo. Even if you got the current HDD to boot with a new mobo I would be worried about driver issues.

Right, I can only find this mobo used on eBay.

I don't really know why there would be driver problems though. Seems like I could just update drivers as needed.

Thanks

It may seem like that but it is always "Highly" recommended to do a fresh install when changing mobo.

Oh, I definitely would do a fresh install if possible. I just need use of the programs on the current hard disk, which has the OS + programs and no way to re-install these programs. A real mess of a system. Trying to salvage it. Thanks

I hope you mean the installers for programs and your not wanting to try to salvage programs that are already installed?

Yes, that's right... even more bad news. I'm trying to salvage programs that are already installed on the current hard drive that has the OS, and there is no way to re-install these proprietary programs.

99% of programs use a lot of registry settings so simply copying a program over to another HDD won't work. Sorry to say, but it looks like you will be starting from scratch if you can't get the same mobo. Failing that what you have already said is worth a try. Get another 680i mobo and cross your fingers. You will either have issues or it will work. Good luck.

99% of programs use a lot of registry settings so simply copying a program over to another HDD won't work. Sorry to say, but it looks like you will be starting from scratch if you can't get the same mobo. Failing that what you have already said is worth a try. Get another 680i mobo and cross your fingers. You will either have issues or it will work. Good luck.

Thanks.

Right, no intention of copying a program to another HDD. Actually want to get the original hard drive working on the current mobo with a replaced BIOS chip or on a new / used replacement same make/ model mobo. I assume the same make / model would be the way to go if replacing the mobo, but would probably have to be used.

Yes, thats your best option. I'm sure ebay will be your friend there.

I'm leaning that way too... a used $100 mobo shipped on a slow boat from China.

Asus doesn't even show a BIOS chip available for sale for this mobo. Sent them an email anyway to see if it can be bought.

Considering buying both.

Thanks again.

Back