• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the Best DDR3 Ram for Overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ithinkwierdly

Registered
Alright well what is the best DDR3 memory in combination with AMD CPUs, Price isn't really an issue. Hands-down In your opinion what would be the best for extreme overlocking, generally what would be the best DDR3 2000? And I'm actually looking for dual-channel memory. 4x4. What would have the best latency, speed, and just performance. I'm looking for memory under $400. I know this seems like a lot, but I've been searching for a while. And I've come to a conclusion to consult my peers. So what would be the best for you? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would say Corsair Dominator GT but it costs $240 for 4gb - 2000MHZ @ 8-8-8-24

ALso you should know that the more RAM you have the harder it is to overclcok since it puts more strain on the chipset.

Unless you really need more I would advise just getting 4GB.

The Dominator GT also comes with a cooling fan and looks awsome too.

If I wouldnt have got such a good deal on my new OCZ Reaper HPC I would have bought it without question.

What do you mean by "extreme overclocking?" It depends on the RAM multiplier that you use and the CPU FSB. I'd say that DDR3 1600MHz is enough for a 4.0GHz overclock. If you're looking to go past 4.2GHz (which isn't guaranteed), you might want to consider DDR3 2000. As far as timings, there isn't much noticeable difference with DDR3 RAM...you'll only notice a difference in synthetic benchmarks.

I plan on using a MSI 790FX-GD70 paired with a AMD 965 BE. And plan to do some serious overclocking. Probably over 4.0 Ghz. So in that case what would be the best DDR3 1600 or 2000 Ram?

I plan on using a MSI 790FX-GD70 paired with a AMD 965 BE. And plan to do some serious overclocking. Probably over 4.0 Ghz. So in that case what would be the best DDR3 1600 or 2000 Ram?

I would go with 1600 because I doubt you'll need more. Also, remember that no overclock is guaranteed so going beyond 4GHz is not a 100% certainty. If you have money to spend, go for the DDR3 2000 for peace of mind.

Back