• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P6T Deluxe or SE for my i7-975?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghurty

Registered
I am trying to decide between getting the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 or the ASUS P6T SE for use with my i7-975 Extreme. It is about a $40 - $50
difference between the two.
I am new to OCing, but I would like to get into it. But not to the extent of pushing the limits, rather to the point where I can still have a stable system.

Also I have the Nvidia GTX 260, would that block off more then one PCI slot?

Which one would you suggest?

Thanks

This may help you: http://www.overclockers.com/x58-motherboard-safari/

But i have the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and its a pretty good board... and i am rocking 2 GTX285's with a Soundblaster X-FI card... but with that set up, its hard to fit anything else... but if that is good for you, go that route...

EDIT: and i am new to Overclocking myself... this board lets you do that, with out messing to much up... and lastly, with you getting an Extreme chip... IMHO i would put it in a premium board at the end of that article!

Last edited:
Supposedly the only difference between the deluxe and se is whether it has 8 phase or 16 phase.

More or less. And where you are going with this chip, you certainly dont need 16 phase (or 8 for that matter).

One of my friends has the P6T Deluxe and has had no problems with it. Frankly, I am not sure if he overclocks it or not (I kind of doubt it since he is more of a non-technical person...go figure), but I also haven't heard any complaints from him.

I have both of the asus boards and the gigabyte ud4 kicks them both, thats what I would get.

I'm running the latest revision of the Asus board, the P6TD Deluxe. Stable and now running 24/7 at 4.4GHz @ 1.33750v with HT disabled. It will go higher but I've reached the temperature (56ºC, ambient 20ºC) and voltage limits I want to stick to.

I have the SE.
It clocks well, but is not a good board for 2 video cards.
The x16 slots are beside each other. This causes the lower card to run about 10 degrees hotter due to restricted airflow around the fan intake.
Also, it only supports crossfire......in case you were thinking of another 260.

It doesnt matter much what board he picks as the bclks dont arent as relevent with an unlocked multi.

Neither one of those boards should hinder your overclock. Your CPU will be more of a deciding factor than the motherboard, as most 1366/X58 boards overclock very well. I would probably go with the middle-of-the-road board myself such as the ASUS P6T or Gigabyte EX58-UD4P.

Back