• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Results so far of new 965 C3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psykoikonov

I got a 965 C3 recently and thought I would share results.

It is a CACAC AC 0946DPMW K90457, cooled by a Scythe Mugen 2 in push/pull.
Current voltages as set in bios CPU=1.4625v, CPUNB=1.2250v (can be seen in screenshot from everest).
My mobo does vdroop bad, 1.41v shown in CPUz under full load.
Temps are still well in control and so are voltages, definitely some headroom, for 24/7 this will probably be it.
The screenshot :).

Last edited:
Wow, that's very impressive... and thats only bumping the multiplier! If I were you, I would see what your northbridge maxes out at, apparently the C3 stepping allows for better HT/NB speeds. The old C2's hit a wall at 2.4ghz (or maybe it was 2.6ghz... I've been up for ~30 hours) HT, maybe see if you can pass that? The current CPU-z validated record for a C3 HT was 3.333ghz and 7.040ghz @ 1.82 vCore lol.

Btw what kind of ram is that? Those are some nice timings for DDR3. Good luck =)

Thats a real nice Vcore setting ya got there ;)
You should be able to take the NB up to at least 2600, mine is at 2600 with 1.35V
I couldnt post with anything past 2600, regardless of voltage applied.

not sure what the ceiling was with the C2, I had my 720's at 2600 no problem.

The ram is Patriot Viper Extreme PVS32G1600LLKN, rated for 1600 7-7-7-21-28. I have't been able to get 1600 stable though, 1550 is about the best I've gotten. It will do 1400 6-6-6-18-24 no problem, maybe even >1450. Don't know what IC's they are, the sticker says 2.0v they seem to be unstable with that much voltage. 1400 with tight timings requires 1.8v.

Last edited:
Thank you Quiet. I got very lucky with this one, it does very well on air thats for sure, very happy with it. I did try 3.0Ghz NB but it required >1.35v (didn't find a stable voltage but 1.35V was close), the big voltage bump didn't seem worth the 200Mhz for 24/7 use. I haven't tried >4.0Ghz yet but 4.1 or 4.2 is probably doable with 1.475v+ maybe.

I am glad to see someone with that mobo getting good results. Lots of people complain about the cooling with those new style heat sinks on those boards, how are temps with your setup at 4ghz? Also that board only has a 4 pin aux power connector, im guessing that hasnt hurt your clocks. If you have bad vdroop, have you tried enabling load line calibration? I think just about all Asus boards have this now though im not 100% sure.

I replaced the thermal paste on the board's heat sinks with MX2 and tightened them up a bit using washers, they seem nice and cool, barely warm to touch. The board does not have load line calibration in bios. It is a 4 pin aux instead of 8, don't think it matters unless PSU isn't up to the task. Maybe for high voltage like DI or LN2 runs the 4 pin would be a problem.

So im assuming that at stock, the sinks ran to warm for your tastes and you rectified that?

Not real sure if it helped or not, I replaced before checking to see how warm they were before. I usually do now, a couple times I have found heatsinks on boards not even physically touching the chip they are supposed to be keeping cool so I always check now.

Yeah now put the results in the Phenom II results thread. Check sig

Very nice btw ;D

Very nice overclock with low voltage. I can not wait to get my C3 955 on Monday, so much for three days shipping lol. Im hoping to get 4ghz on air as well. Im tired of running this old 9950 BE at 3.3ghz lol

From results I've seen posted the C3's go from around 3.8 at worst to around 4.1 at best and CPUNB around 2.6 at worst to 3.0 at best, uisng air cooling. Some nice silicon but no 2 cpus are ever the same. I got pretty lucky with this one. Seems the 0944 and up are good dates to have, I think the 0941 and down don't fair as well.

Back