• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silence with Antec 900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackoire

Need some advise on getting close as possible to silence with the Antec 900. I have ordered the ati 5870 + corsair H50. I now am thinking stocking up on Yate Loons to eliminate noise. I'm thinking of replacing ALL of the fans, even the 200mm top fan. I know i should probably buy a new case but i wanna keep cos low and still get nice OC with decant temps.

Your advice please...

Need some advise on getting close as possible to silence with the Antec 900. I have ordered the ati 5870 + corsair H50. I now am thinking stocking up on Yate Loons to eliminate noise. I'm thinking of replacing ALL of the fans, even the 200mm top fan. I know i should probably buy a new case but i wanna keep cos low and still get nice OC with decant temps.

Your advice please...

If you don't mind me asking, exactly why do you need it soo quiet?

You could just turn the Tri-Cool fans down to the low setting. They are virtually silent on low, very quiet on medium, and still quiet on high. I run all of the fans on mine on high, and the high speed Yates on my HSF and the fan on my GPU are much louder than they are.

If you don't mind me asking, exactly why do you need it soo quiet?

I just hate how noisy it is, since i run the machine all day/night the noise is getting on my nerves and I'm not willing to compromise airflow and temps for noise. Looking to get the most out of the hardware without upgrading the case for a while.

I agree with deadlysyn. I've got all the fans on my 900 turned up to high and my HSF and GPU fan are still the loudest. You could try turning down all the fans in your case but if you really want to eliminate noise try finding a quieter HSF or mod your graphics card so it leans towards more passive cooling. In terms of noise the Antec 900s fans are surprisingly silent, especially with how many there are in the case.

If your HSF is loud - I would recommend a Noctua HSF - They are designed to be very quiet and have very good cooling abilities. They are quite expensive though I should add. They also sell their super efficient quiet fans separately to use however you like (case, heatsink) but again - $20 a pop, not cheap.

If your HSF is loud - I would recommend a Noctua HSF - They are designed to be very quiet and have very good cooling abilities. They are quite expensive though I should add. They also sell their super efficient quiet fans separately to use however you like (case, heatsink) but again - $20 a pop, not cheap.

Just was looking into Noctua fans, anywhere i can get em delivered to Ireland at a nice price?

approx 20euro a pop here :-/

I just hate how noisy it is, since i run the machine all day/night the noise is getting on my nerves and I'm not willing to compromise airflow and temps for noise. Looking to get the most out of the hardware without upgrading the case for a while.

To be honest, if you are wanting to go dead silent, you will have to sacrifice performance, no matter how you look at it. The quieter the fan is (usually due to lower RPM) the lower CFM it pushes. You need that airflow to keep your temps down, as it basically pushes the hot air out, and pulls the cool air in. If you take my Q6600, for instance, with the ThermalRight Ultra 120A, with a pair of high speed Yates in push pull, if I went with the medium speed or low speed, my temps would be higher than they are now. If I were in your shoes, I would turn the Antec fans on low, and look for more passive cooling solutions for the CPU and GPU, or atleast something that will perform decently with lower speed fans. There may be an Arctic Cooling Accelero solution for your GPU, which will either be completely passive (having no fan at all), or just have low speed fans. As for the CPU, I'm sure there are options, but I don't know what they may be, as I am more into the performance aspect, with high speed 38mm thick fans. Take a look around at Silent PC Review, and you may find the coolers you need. You will most likely have to back off on any overclocks, but that is the sacrifice you will have to make for silence.

i was going to suggest taking out all the fans (like i did) but this will hinder airflow no doubt. i went for the cleaner look...so no more flashy blue lights :)
i say stock up on heatsinks.
you'll need one for CPU and GPU. something from Thermalright will help the chips cool, which could mean less fan speed needed to keep stuff cool - which means less fan noise.
also, the Scythe Slipstream 1900rpm fans are silent. they are also very high CFM so it's a win-win situation for you.

don't know how solid of a construction the 900 is, but i suggest lining the inside of the case with egg-shell foam, to absorb some noise. Also, you can reduce the speed of fans, or replace them all together. In the end, the quieter the fan the lower the performance (if size is constant). Sometimes you can get away with equal or better performance at a lower dB level, but those are often more expensive fans (ie noctua).

I have had no problems with the fans turned on the lowest setting. It was usually the cpu heatsink fan that was the loudest but I used speedfan to control that.

If you really want silence but still have great temps you can look into water cooling, it is very peaceful. I did it once, but it was just a hassle to constantly change things in and out of my case so I just have a air cooler now.

I have had no problems with the fans turned on the lowest setting. It was usually the cpu heatsink fan that was the loudest but I used speedfan to control that.

If you really want silence but still have great temps you can look into water cooling, it is very peaceful. I did it once, but it was just a hassle to constantly change things in and out of my case so I just have a air cooler now.

Looking at getting the Noctua d14, will it fit in the Antec 900 without the fan on the side panel?

Guess ill be going sticking with all fans on low for now, will tackle noise problems when i get can afford a new case, probably a Cosmos s.

Looking at getting the Noctua d14, will it fit in the Antec 900 without the fan on the side panel?

Guess ill be going sticking with all fans on low for now, will tackle noise problems when i get can afford a new case, probably a Cosmos s.
you can mod the fan to make the heatsink fit. simply cut one of the corners off and all will fit :thup:

the 900 is pretty silent when you get some good fans. The loudest thing in my system now is the harddrives.

Judging by the reviews, I think you will have great results with that cooler. It should fit in the 900 without the fan on the side, as I have a ThermalRight Ultra 120A in mine, and the heatpipes almost touch the side of the case. I still recommend putting the stock fans on low, and switching the cooler. If this is the 900 Two, check the fan filters as well, since they may help contribute to noise if they are full of dust as well.

I have the antec 300 and the noise also got to me, one thing you could do alongside getting quieter fans is to cut out the honeycomb fan grills on the front intake ones as they will still be coverd with the outer front panel, i did this and airflow nearly double and noise was cut down a bit too, this means you can turn the fans down,

I take it you have 3 120mm fan cages up front, just snip around the grill with a sharp pair of pliars took me about 20 mins, i also get rid of the grill on the back exhaust just watch your fingers when plugging things in and out round there... ouch!

Back