• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Collatz Conjecture and Milkyway@Home for ATI users

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingless

YO! I just wanted to let OCF know I am using my GPU for Collatz Conjecture's project on BOINC. ~13 minutes per WU on a stock clocked HD4870. Milkyway@Home also has an ATI GPU initiative that is supposedly uber fast, but account for that project are closed for some reason. The word is it several times faster than the fastest Nvidia GPUs (uses double precision). F@H needs the gentleman that made their ATI client as part of their staff so we can get some real work done :comp:.

Big :thup: to putting your ATi gpu to work on either of these projects. Frustrated with the lack of AP work from seti I put my 4890 to work on Collatz a few months back and wow is it breathtaking the amount of work a GPU can get done when the application is well suited to and optimized for a GPU. 65k RAC out of my 4890 on Collatz =)

are these to DC's the best for taking advantage of ATI hardware? i currently fold on my 5850s but would be willing to do something else that is better optimized and from what i've been reading it seems like milkyway@home and collatz conjecture are the best bet. is there any others that i should know about?

let's say i use the 5850s for milkyway@home, is it optimized so it doesn't need a full cpu core like folding@home does for ATI cards? there by freeing up my cpu to continue folding?

I attached my GPU to Milkyway@home, it's pretty fun.
First WU took 59 seconds, computer claimed .33 credits and was granted 159.86! Guess my GPU is a bit faster then that WU was written for :D

I can only imagine what a 5850 would do, probably like 20 second WUs!

I joined CC yesterday, and my 5770 is blowing through WUs like crazy. I got one sse wu and when it started it said 145h remaining. Came back this morning and after 9 hours it said 4h remaining. But after 12h of GPU crunching my Credit is up to 12000 or so!

I'm guessing the 5700 series cards wouldn't work with milkyway since they don't support dp, so collatz conjecture would be the next best thing?

I'm finding that since optimizing my client, Collatz conjecture would cause the system to freeze after a few hours of crunching. It took me a while to rule out everything else before coming to that decision. I can suspend Collatz and Boinc works fine.

I uninstalled the optimization package for SETI and yet it still freezes. Uninstalled BOINC, reinstalled, still freezes.

Sad, and I really want to run Collatz for the ATI.

I'm finding that since optimizing my client, Collatz conjecture would cause the system to freeze after a few hours of crunching. It took me a while to rule out everything else before coming to that decision. I can suspend Collatz and Boinc works fine.

I uninstalled the optimization package for SETI and yet it still freezes. Uninstalled BOINC, reinstalled, still freezes.

Sad, and I really want to run Collatz for the ATI.

Checking to see if OC settings on ATI 5750 are causing problems with Collatz. I wonder if the OC'd memory is causing errors, which then cause the system to freeze completely instead of BSOD if it was a crunching error with the CPU?

Checking to see if OC settings on ATI 5750 are causing problems with Collatz. I wonder if the OC'd memory is causing errors, which then cause the system to freeze completely instead of BSOD if it was a crunching error with the CPU?

Removing overclock setting for memory from ATI video card did not make any change. Running Collatz Conjecture still causes the computer to freeze after a little more than an hour of work.

Try underclocking the memory and core, one at a time.

I have issues like that with my 4890 on milkyway@home, in my case it's OCP tripping.

Try underclocking the memory and core, one at a time.

I have issues like that with my 4890 on milkyway@home, in my case it's OCP tripping.

Yep, that fixed it. I guess BOINC is a little more sensitive to GPU/Memory errors than when you're running a game. Although, games don't usually push your GPU to 100%.

I just got to hd 6950s flashed to 6970s, running one currently for milky way, averaging about 1 min 4X seconds per unit.

I just got to hd 6950s flashed to 6970s, running one currently for milky way, averaging about 1 min 4X seconds per unit.

That is proper right fast buddy. Keep it up! I don't know whether to upgrade to a 6970 now or wait for the 7xxx series this holiday season.

Do we have a team set up for CC or Milkyway yet?

[EDIT]I see that there is a team set up for CC, just joined the team. I don't run CC much, usually during the SETI outage window when my main rig runs out of GPU work. CC credit is crazy high so its a little fun to watch it tear through WUs.

Speaking of that, does anyone know if CC can be set up to run multiple instances per card like SETI is?

Last edited:
Back