• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canadian Laptop /Notebook Keyboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

Good day all.

has anyone noticed in the last year all notebook computers purchased in Canada, and online at the OEM level have a STUPID key between the [Z] Key and the Left [Shift] Key.

Has this ticked anyone else off? Does anyone know the reason for this?

Anyone has a source within Canada to buy a Notebook with out this stupid keyboard?

thank you

Attachments

• 10132130_alt.jpg
    10132130_alt.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,348
Last edited:
That Specific Model MIGHT not have it, the image used does not have it.
The problem is Dell shows US images for Canadian Laptops, so does Future Shop.

as for the Keyboard layout I hate
Canadian Multilingual Stanard
500px-KB_Canadian_Multilingual_Standard.svg.png
Canadian French Standard
400px-KB_Canadian_French.svg.png

I want my layout to be the same one my current 3 laptops have, and the layout I've always used which was
400px-KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg.png

NOW I would be a little happier if I could pick between the 2 Canadian offerings, but the last 2 notebooks I have purchased for family have Been the French Layout so SHIFT 2 is * and not @ that throws me off huge.

i have the second one but it doubles as the key under backspace in the 3rd picture

Almost laptops sold through big box retailers in Canada are going to use this type of keyboard. I assume that because of Quebec's language laws that there "has" to be a multilingual keyboard on the laptops sold within the province and it's a lot easier to manufacture and assemble a system with a single keyboard rather than have 2 different models. I'm not positive that this is the reason, but it makes the most sense to me.

This is the reason I went down to the states to get my laptop, Lenovo also offers you the choice of which keyboard you want and they ship the regular us english one by default afaik. You may also be able to choose with dell, but I'm not sure.

Can't choose with Dell as far as I have seen,

I agree that it is most likely Quebec causing the problem

I'm going to start up a stink about this and see what can be done, I will gladly buy in Canada when I can buy what I want, but will go to the US if I must to get the right thing.

I looked and looked when I was comparing laptops and the only ones in Canada I could find were Lenovo. Eurocom does as well, but they are mostly high end custom stuff, as they are a Clevo reseller. Any custom laptop manufacturer would most likely have a normal keyboard.

That Specific Model MIGHT not have it, the image used does not have it.
The problem is Dell shows US images for Canadian Laptops, so does Future Shop.

as for the Keyboard layout I hate
Canadian Multilingual Stanard
500px-KB_Canadian_Multilingual_Standard.svg.png
Canadian French Standard
400px-KB_Canadian_French.svg.png

I want my layout to be the same one my current 3 laptops have, and the layout I've always used which was
400px-KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg.png

NOW I would be a little happier if I could pick between the 2 Canadian offerings, but the last 2 notebooks I have purchased for family have Been the French Layout so SHIFT 2 is * and not @ that throws me off huge.

It's not just Canada. European (including Britain) keyboards also have a different layout than US (with a [\] key between the left [shift] and [z]). At home, I type with a US keyboard, but at work, I type with a European keyboard. It's slightly annoying, especially considering how many times you use the back and forward slashes when typing LaTeX.

But if it's your only keyboard you will end up adapting...

I'd try eBaying a US keyboard and swapping it in. I know what you mean, it seems that Futureshop only carries the Fr/En one and if you wanted a proper keyboard you'd need to go to NCIX or other stores.

help with Christmas shopping

Hi! I am trying to buy a computer in the US to be used in French Canada. Not a lot of luck on line with that. Can anyone suggest which keyboard would be best? And, I hate to be clueless, but do you end up with two keyboards on your desk, or is the English keyboard replaced somehow?
Thanks.:-

Back