• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changed motherboard, how do I get my RAID back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebill_03

Registered
Abit IP35 died on me, bought a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P.

I wrote down which Sata port number each drive was connected to before changing the mobo, connected them to the same numbers on the Gigabyte, but the RAID did not come back. Is there a setting I'm forgetting, am I plugging in the wrong port's?

On the RAID setup screen it lists one of the drives that are supposed to be on the RAID as a non RAID drive.

Going from a ICH9R to a ICH10R should be no problem right?

i thought you could only switch raid setups if you had a raid card .. wait a few and some smart fella's will be here shortly

I thought you needed either a raid card or software raid solution to switch raid I don't raid though so I could be wrong

I'm pretty sure you can only switch drives over to the same kind of motherboard...either that or it has to have the same raid card. Either way, you're most likely out of luck unfortunately.

My friend tried to swap a raid array to a new mobo and ended up loosing 750GB of data because of it.

Hopefully someone will come in here and tell me I'm wrong, because I know how much it sucks to loose data.

-Gary

unfortunately that is pretty much the case. The only way you really have a chance when moving drives between motherboards (or RAID cards) is when doing it to identical cards or at the very least cards/boards from the same manufacturer.

There is a software product that you might be able to use. Doesn't cost too much so it just depends on how much you gotta have your data. Also you will need a seperate computer to use the software with. Basically you plug in all the drives that were in the RAID and then the software looks at them to try and recreate the array. This of course hinges on the fact that array data was also stored on the drives and not just in the RAID BIOS.

Also what kind of RAID were you using? if you were using RAID 1 (mirror) you can just pop one drive into a system as a secondd rive and get your data, if using anything else you could have issues.

My friend tried to swap a raid array to a new mobo and ended up loosing 750GB of data because of it.
-Gary

Did your friend change to a motherboard with the same/similar RAID chipset? A bit part of why I paid so much for the Gigabyte was that I was under the assumption that the ICH10R was basically compatible with my old boards ICH9R, otherwise I would have just said forget about my data and either go with an i7 or a cheaper build.

The thing that gives me some hope is that when I go into the RAID setup, it does show that there is supposed to be a ~600GB (300x2) striped array, however no matter how I plug them in there is one drive (and always the same one) that is listed as Member Disk (0) and the other one as non-raid.

Did your friend change to a motherboard with the same/similar RAID chipset? A bit part of why I paid so much for the Gigabyte was that I was under the assumption that the ICH10R was basically compatible with my old boards ICH9R, otherwise I would have just said forget about my data and either go with an i7 or a cheaper build.

The thing that gives me some hope is that when I go into the RAID setup, it does show that there is supposed to be a ~600GB (300x2) striped array, however no matter how I plug them in there is one drive (and always the same one) that is listed as Member Disk (0) and the other one as non-raid.

He changed to a motherboard that was different.
I'd say the software recovery that pik4chu and simcom suggested is probably your best bet as of now.

Either way, good luck man, hope you get your data back.

Just in response to the comments about addon cards. I have never had issues with the built in Matrix RAID controllers or any built in raid sets in motherboards I have used and for the average user they serve their purpose well. The thing that really gets most people though is they think that RAID makes your data safe. You still must backup your data really no matter what RAID setup you use because things like this do happen. You lose drives or multiple drives, or fried BIOS etc so no matter what you still might have to start from scratch.

The point is, even the most expensive RAID controller won't prevent data loss, bad things can happen, now the higher end cards make it easier to recover or potentially repair what you almost lost but RAID is not a backup. Please backup your data, an external hard drive or even an extra internal one costs a whole lot less than data recovery does ;)

unfortunately that is pretty much the case. The only way you really have a chance when moving drives between motherboards (or RAID cards) is when doing it to identical cards or at the very least cards/boards from the same manufacturer.

There is a software product that you might be able to use. Doesn't cost too much so it just depends on how much you gotta have your data. Also you will need a seperate computer to use the software with. Basically you plug in all the drives that were in the RAID and then the software looks at them to try and recreate the array. This of course hinges on the fact that array data was also stored on the drives and not just in the RAID BIOS.

Also what kind of RAID were you using? if you were using RAID 1 (mirror) you can just pop one drive into a system as a secondd rive and get your data, if using anything else you could have issues.

So what are some of these software that might work? It took me a while to get my comp running on a seperate hdd, Intel Matrix Manager doesn't help at all and I have no idea what else to try.

Going from ICH9r to 10r is no problem and it shouldn't even matter which Intel sata ports you plug the drives into. I've done this myself so I know it works. The boards are so similar it should boot right up and you can change the nic or audio driver as necessary. Are you plugging both drives into the Intel ports and not the Gigabyte ports?

Abit IP35 died on me, bought a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P.

I wrote down which Sata port number each drive was connected to before changing the mobo, connected them to the same numbers on the Gigabyte, but the RAID did not come back. Is there a setting I'm forgetting, am I plugging in the wrong port's?

On the RAID setup screen it lists one of the drives that are supposed to be on the RAID as a non RAID drive.

Going from a ICH9R to a ICH10R should be no problem right?

No not a problem...

This should work fine... Done this many times.. For your sake, the RAID data, rather information is written to the drives.. so staying within the Intel ICHxR chipset, you'll be fine. And if you have already set the controller to do RAID, the ICH9R will see the RAID data on the drives and restore it to the RAID BIOS for you... This will work with either Nvidia or Intel... done both..

You'll may need to go to disk manager and re-import the disks. However, most of the time the drives just appear!

EDIT: I went from Windows XP P35 to a P55 Windows 7, and my stuff is intact!

Last edited:
I will definitely be keeping my eye on this thread. I had no idea about this and thought that it would be a "quick swap" when I get a new system. Unfortunately, there seems to be a 50/50 split in regards to whether this will or won't work. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though.

I think it comes down to the chipset and how the manufacturer implements it.

I have a IOHC9 chipset. If I moved over to an ASUS, off of my Gigabyte. My GigaRAID will not be the same. The ASUS will not know how to rebuild the Gigabyte implemented data structure.

This is going by my readings. Why I now use external drives on my server. I am less likely to shift a RAID on that machine versus my workstation. Plus the card is common enough to find someplace if it dies on me. I did have a similar issue on a nForce3 setup and RAID1+0. Went from a Gigabyte to a DFI and it did not want to work. I didn;'t go to far into it. I just went to my hardcopy backups and recovered that way.

Long as the data is intact, you can do some recovery options to reclaim the data. Just have to get a way for both sides of the mirror to show. Which to me sounds very complex. I am guessing it would be near abouts hardware emulation. RAID chips are lower than the OS. Which is why you see them start before the OS.

Last edited:
So I'm still working at trying to get my raid0 back. I tried File Scavenger and it wants me to run the drives not in raid mode so that windows would see them as individual drives. I went into bios and switched the RAID setting to AHCI. Windows died on me after that so I reinstalled, then went on to File Scavenger. Windows only lists the 298 gigs (not sure which drive), File Scavenger still lists two separate, one 596 gigs (size of the entire array, at Drive 0) and the second one (Drive 1) 298 gigs.

I really don't know how to get them to be listed as two separate 298 gig drives.

Intel Matrix Manager does list them as 2 separate drives now though.

I tried the demo of Raid Reconstructor, either I don't know how to use it or it doesn't detect any drives.

So I'm still working at trying to get my raid0 back. I tried File Scavenger and it wants me to run the drives not in raid mode so that windows would see them as individual drives. I went into bios and switched the RAID setting to AHCI. Windows died on me after that so I reinstalled, then went on to File Scavenger. Windows only lists the 298 gigs (not sure which drive), File Scavenger still lists two separate, one 596 gigs (size of the entire array, at Drive 0) and the second one (Drive 1) 298 gigs.

I really don't know how to get them to be listed as two separate 298 gig drives.

Intel Matrix Manager does list them as 2 separate drives now though.

I tried the demo of Raid Reconstructor, either I don't know how to use it or it doesn't detect any drives.

Are you booting off of this RAID 0?

The Raid0 used to be my boot drive(s). But no, currently it's booting off a 60gig I had lying around.

Forgot to mention, I did end up trying Scavenger last night, I added the drives in the order they were supposed to be in (even though the size labels were weird), and after adding both it did list it as the correct size.

After hours of 'scavenging' and recovering, it found about 20gigs worth of files, none of which were important, none of them worked either.

Many of the files were listed as duplicates, guess they weren't put back together properly. There were some that said they worked but if it was a video or music file it would be playing the wrong things or constantly freeze or skip.

Hate to say it but when you broke the ACHI and then reinstalled windows you likely made the problem even worse and/or unrecoverable. By rewriting more data onto the drive you likely removed what little RAID info was left over.

Back