• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microcenter Return Policy on Processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Porvalsh

I just got all my parts in from newegg to build an i7 860 rig but I didn't purchase the processor from them because my brother in law works for intel and can get them for a very good price. The only problem is that when he went to the site to get one they were out of stock. So now I have all these parts sitting here waiting to be built, with no proc to throw in.

My predicament is that I want to test out what I have so that I know whether or not anything needs to be RMA'd. That clock is ticking. I don't want to be sitting here two weeks from now with stuff that doesn't work and being outside of the newegg return window.

I have a microcenter here, and was thinking about going and picking up an i5 750 to throw in there. It seems like they would accept it as a return if its within 30 days. But I always thought that processors were a different story.

Has anybody returned a processor to Microcenter? Their website says this, "When returning an item to your local Micro Center® Store, we reserve the right to decline a return if it is not in "like new" condition."

I would be careful about opening the box up, and not damaging the processor so that it looks new. I'd clean it afterwards, etc.

I guess in a worst case scenario I could ebay or classifieds sell the processor when I'm done with it, or bend an arm and build another rig. I don't really have use for the i5 though since I can get the i7 big brother for cheap.

ahh, nevermind.

I found this after digging a bit deeper.

"Non-returnable and non-refundable items
Special buy or clearance items are not returnable unless otherwise indicated on the label attached to the product. Service parts, motherboards and processors may only be exchanged, and only if defective, within 30 days of purchase if in "like-new" condition. Labor, installation services and any shipping charges are non-refundable."

So toss your CPU in the classified when your brother gets you a new one. I wouldn't put an used CPU on eBay.

I decided that I will go to Microcenter and get the CPU. Then when the other one arrives I will do just that, sell to the classifieds here. A lot of people can't get these things for what Microcenter offers them because they don't live near one. This will be a nice treat for someone hopefully.

Do you think people here would rather I test the CPU to make sure it won't be DOA or just leave it sealed. Doing a return might get tricky.

ahh, nevermind.

I found this after digging a bit deeper.

"Non-returnable and non-refundable items
Special buy or clearance items are not returnable unless otherwise indicated on the label attached to the product. Service parts, motherboards and processors may only be exchanged, and only if defective, within 30 days of purchase if in "like-new" condition. Labor, installation services and any shipping charges are non-refundable."

They need to have a policy like that, or people like you would use them as a free CPU-rental shop, as well as people trying to cherry pick good OCing CPUs.

They need to have a policy like that, or people like you would use them as a free CPU-rental shop, as well as people trying to cherry pick good OCing CPUs.

That is correct. Microcenter is actually losing money on every cpu sold. They cannot return them to intel unless it is defective. If we get people that keep cherry picking, we wouldn't be in business very long.

Well the return policy is that you can exchange an opened processor that is in like new condition. At least thats how it reads. So you could technically cherry pick if you're careful enough. Its all remedied by letting people hand pick the procs though, at least the cherry pick part.

Well the return policy is that you can exchange an opened processor that is in like new condition. At least thats how it reads. So you could technically cherry pick if you're careful enough. Its all remedied by letting people hand pick the procs though, at least the cherry pick part.

It also specifies only if defective.

It also specifies only if defective.

I doubt they have a testing facility to ensure customers aren't returning and making fake claim it is defective to try and get a better OCing CPU. But I do bet they will ban customer if they keep returning CPU for exchange.

I doubt they have a testing facility to ensure customers aren't returning and making fake claim it is defective to try and get a better OCing CPU. But I do bet they will ban customer if they keep returning CPU for exchange.

Well they would find out rather quickly when they ship the 'defective' CPU back to Intel and they say it works fine they may just void the transaction or something. And frankly with the amount of equipment they have in their repair shop Id be surprised if they didnt have a couple PCs setup designed to test stuff like that.

The pins are on the motherboard so what does that have to do with anything? Sell your chip here when you get your new one then everyone is happy.

Back