• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small install Windows 7 Ultimate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I just bought a netbook and want to install Windows 7 on it. It has an 8G SSD so it's going to be cutting it close to install Ultimate. Is there any way to remove some of the bulk or stuff I don't want? If I have to, I'll go get a copy of basic but I'd rather not have to.

Which netbook did you purchase? I bought a hp mini wth a 16GB SSD and the netbook was just about unusable. I upgraded to a RunCore SSD and the performance is great.

Depending on the type of SSD you have you may want to just go ahead and purchase a newer one with larger capacity.

Which netbook did you purchase? I bought a hp mini wth a 16GB SSD and the netbook was just about unusable. I upgraded to a RunCore SSD and the performance is great.

Depending on the type of SSD you have you may want to just go ahead and purchase a newer one with larger capacity.

I got a Dell Inspiron 910 (mini 9)

Thanks for the link, Menace. I'll give it a try if I don't find a better method. It looks near perfect though, same netbook and all :D

If it turns out that I can't slim it down enough, I've got a 60GB 2.5" drive here but I'd rather use the SSD for the extra battery life.

The machine is for my wife, I don't think she'd like Mint or any other Linux to well.

Last edited:
Thanks again Menace, it worked well enough. Even slimmed down, by the time the page file is created, drivers installed and Microsoft Security Essentials are installed then the 8GB SSD is full. Luckily, I can install apps to the SD card. I had to do that for Open Office.

Thanks again Menace, it worked well enough. Even slimmed down, by the time the page file is created, drivers installed and Microsoft Security Essentials are installed then the 8GB SSD is full. Luckily, I can install apps to the SD card. I had to do that for Open Office.

How does it run fudge? is it up to a decent boot-up speed and loading times on programs and what not. I have a Acer One laptop to repair thats also got 8GB flash memory and even thou XP has bugged on it maybe Windows 7 might be a little better.

The pre build XP on it was seriously slow really bad took 5mins to boot into desktop.

I got a Dell Inspiron 910 (mini 9)

Thanks for the link, Menace. I'll give it a try if I don't find a better method. It looks near perfect though, same netbook and all :D

If it turns out that I can't slim it down enough, I've got a 60GB 2.5" drive here but I'd rather use the SSD for the extra battery life.

The machine is for my wife, I don't think she'd like Mint or any other Linux to well.

i got a full fledged win 7 pro install on my mini 9 with a 8gb ssd and 2gb of ram... with ms office 2003, firefox, aim, ccleaner and various other programs and some files using 4.26gb.

Follow this guide to a T, and make sure you turn off hibernation and pagefile. should use just a smidge over 3gb if you follow it.

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/win...ws-7-use-3gb-solid-state-drive-hdd-space.html

and it runs so much better than xp its not even funny!!!!

RT Se7en Lite

I just bought a netbook and want to install Windows 7 on it. It has an 8G SSD so it's going to be cutting it close to install Ultimate. Is there any way to remove some of the bulk or stuff I don't want? If I have to, I'll go get a copy of basic but I'd rather not have to.

Hello overclockers.com forum community,

You have nLite for XP, you have vLite for Vista and now you also get RT Se7en Lite for windows 7.

Don't know if it is much of an official legal solution. Hope so so I can use it.

http://majorgeeks.com/RT_Se7en_Lite_d6683.html

Back