• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't install cod2 on win7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soldierguy

Hey all

I just joined your forum the other day, and its really cool. I'm a pc noob and I like playing pc games-but I'm a challenged tech type.

I've been running WIN 7 64 Homepremium that I upgraded in place from Vista64 home premium and I had cod2 already running etc and it continued to do so, but recently i uninstalled cod2, because somewhere in my multiplayer life I picked up some variations in a foreign language/colors changed/different music etc. It worked OK but I decided i wanted to get rid of the " unintentional mod I had been bitten with" etc but I can't get it reinstalled?

I get a message "file not registered" or something like that--I googled the term and it led me to system registry repair topics. Does that sound right.
I'm not knowledgeable about system registry etc--doesn't mean I can't learn, but does that sound like where my problem might be?

I did a system restore--but couldn't get back to operational cod2 game.

Any thoughts about the direction I should proceed. BTW i do play newer cod games too, but i just like the old stuff sometimes.

Appreciate any help

Tom:salute:

Cosmos Cooler Master 1000 case
Antec 650w Trio power supply
ASUS Formula Rampage mobo
Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 2.66ghz, 8mb cache
Corsair Dominator 8gb, DDR2 1066 ram
2 Radeon msi HD4870 gpu’s 512mb 256 bit GDDR5 in Crossfire
WD Velociraptor 300gb 10K rpm SATA hard drive
Steel series laser gaming mouse
Stealth Switch 2 floor switches for gaming

Make sure you are installing the game with an account that has admin privileges, using a simple user account has been known to cause games to install incorrectly. Also, you might want to try running it in XP compatibility mode.

I did a little bit of googling and found that others were having this problem. There are a couple of things that helped people out. Make sure the account you are on has admin rights. Don't run the autorun.exe file when you put the dvd/cds in, instead go to my computer then the cd/dvd drive and manually find the setup.exe file and run that to install. When you run the setup file also be sure to right click and run it as an admin.

Hopefully that helps you out. Let us know if it doesn't and hopefully we'll find a solution.

-edit-

I think the error message is actually "library not registered"

COD2

Hey guys

Thanks for your responses. Very helpful. I'll give your suggestions a
try.

And yes Ben I think it was "library not registered". I probably forgot the actual error message. I was trying the install earlier in the day and I must have forgotten by the time I started this thread.

Appreciate your help. And yes I'll leave a followup after I try to install again.

Tom

Hey guys

Thanks for your responses. Very helpful. I'll give your suggestions a
try.

And yes Ben I think it was "library not registered". I probably forgot the actual error message. I was trying the install earlier in the day and I must have forgotten by the time I started this thread.

Appreciate your help. And yes I'll leave a followup after I try to install again.

Tom

I forgot to say this in my first post but welcome to the forums! :welcome:

Ok cool. When I searched for the problem that was the message others were getting. I wanted to make sure the possible solutions I provided were for the problem you were actually having instead of something different. Keep us posted on whether or not they work.

COD2/WIN7

Hey guys thanks

I followed your suggestions and it totally worked.

I had to do it twice--install all 6 discs etc--for some reason the first time it "accepted the installation", but it wouldn't "run it". I got the "no library message" again. Also after the first install a window popped open and WIN 7 said something about "did this application run OK?" etc and "if not install in Win compatibility mode or etc. I can't remember exactly what it said, because when the window opened I didn't yet know if it was gonna run. Anyway it didn't run so I did all a 2nd time and it did! I'm not sure how it switched to WinCompt mode--assuming it did--i didnt' do it that I know of-I may have clicked no it didn't run or? sorry I'm a little vague, but maybe it switched modes by default when I said "it didn't run" ? At that point it was a little confusing--I just reinstalled all a 2nd time. I've briefly tested the game and it appears to be working. Plus all the mods appear to have left. It looks OEM again regarding English language/colors/themes etc--no longer modded.

I searched at the startup window for Windows Compatibility or was it XP compat mode etc(both I think)--and I didn't get a response? Maybe I did something wrong there, but at some point "i guess" it went ahead and selected it--after the first install failed etc. Anyway: I ran as admin/I opened CD in my computer/I saw the "correct" setup folder/i right clicked it as admin/a cod2 wizard appeared and various windows opened etc asking questions-it uninstalled what was on the machine/and then I had to start over and it now reinstalled all again. I'm trying to report this accurately, but of course I may be omitting something self explanatory to anyone doing this themselves. It went pretty much as I've explained. Even the game icon's appear automatically as a short cut/desk top etc. I even opened Multi player and so far it looks good too. That's what I mostly play, but i checked single player too it appears good.

Thanks alot for the instructions--the "not using" autorun was the "big part I think". Maybe I could have gotten by as i tried before I posted this thread if I had just manually opened the setup file etc. Autorun for sure never accepted any of the disks on my original attempts yesterday etc. it wouldn't even get started.

Looks like i'm good to go.

Thanks again
Tom

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out despite taking two tries. To run something in compatibility mode you right click on the file, then click on properties at the bottom, then click the compatibility tab at the top, check run compatibility mode and select the compatibility type in the drop down menu. There probably won't be more than a handful of programs that is necessary for but its good to know.

compatibility mode

Thanks BenF & KKpudge7

So that's how one accesses compatability mode. Maybe I never knew or
its just been so long that I forgot. I'll make a note.

Goodluck Tom

Back