• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LN2 pricing questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

My local Airgas says they can supply 10L of LN2 for about $40, and 5L for roughly half of that.

Does that price seem reasonable?

Last edited:
I was currious as to pricing and avalability myself.

Do you have to furnish your own dewar for that price??

Not a good price. What part of the country are you located in? If you're in the midwest or the east coast, you can get down to $1-2/L. On the west coast you'd be looking at around $2-3. Shop around and bargain. The northeast tends to be the cheapest, and the southwest the most expensive. I emailed someone on XS an invoice of mine from airgas where I spent $32 for 32L, and he took his to his local airgas and they matched the price, so it is possible to talk them down.

Yes, that is with me supplying the dewar. However they did tell me they had an old dewar in the back I could borrow, but they aren't even sure if it still has a vacuum anymore.

Not a good price. What part of the country are you located in? If you're in the midwest or the east coast, you can get down to $1-2/L. On the west coast you'd be looking at around $2-3. Shop around and bargain. The northeast tends to be the cheapest, and the southwest the most expensive. I emailed someone on XS an invoice of mine from airgas where I spent $32 for 32L, and he took his to his local airgas and they matched the price, so it is possible to talk them down.

East Coast, about 70 miles from NYC. Given how hard he was having to look to find part numbers, I can easily believe that I can get a better deal.

Can I take you up on that invoice deal?

(I did remember hearing several years ago that you could get it cheaper than milk per unit of volume.)

I spend about $22 for 10L and about $50 for 30L at a welding shop in Tampa, but I recently found a place in Orlando that does me $1/L no matter how little I get.

I spend about $22 for 10L and about $50 for 30L at a welding shop in Tampa, but I recently found a place in Orlando that does me $1/L no matter how little I get.

:drool: nice! I'll do a little calling around then, was not sure if it was that easy to get.

Rentals are actually cheaper (of large dewars, 120L and up) but you have to have somewhere where they can deliver it, and they usually restrict it to commercial zones only.

Rentals are actually cheaper (of large dewars, 120L and up) but you have to have somewhere where they can deliver it, and they usually restrict it to commercial zones only.

cool! yea my stepdad has a shop near me that would work nice for that,, only dial-up over there though.
I am deffinitly serious about this though and want to see what I can do with a few bucks while I'm in college.
also seen a few celeron 631's on ebay for a nice price along with what I already have sitting around.
So far my rig's are all air cooled (including sig rig) but would love to dump some insaine voltage to some of these older chips i got sitting around.

in the UK we used to have insane prices but we just found this new placet that does 50L delivered for £60. just over £1 a litre when before it was over £2.50!

I just got my first load in, will be using it on sat, cant wait.

Ok, this worked! They will match that price. Plus they will let me use the 30L dewar that they have at no extra charge for my first time! I need to give them several days notice though. And there is no guarantee that the dewar still has a vacuum.

Ok...so...should I skip dry ice and go directly for LN2?

What chip? If it's the 3350 in your sig then you don't even need LN2.

E8400 that has done 4.7Ghz on air. Motherboard with it is an Abit IP35-E. RAM is Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500.

Hmm...tough call. I would say get a small quantity of dry ice, maybe 5-10LBS just to get your feet wet first for one short session, then switch to LN2. For some people the process of pouring the LN2 from the dewar, controlling the temp etc. while trying to overclock for the first time can be overwhelming. (it was for me) Dry ice gets you somewhat used to subzero with less pressure. Once you fill the pot up you're good for usually around 10-15 minutes without having to do anything.

Some people though feel that LN2 is easier than dry ice, so it's pretty subjective.

I think it can depend a lot on what pot your using. If you have a light (alu) one then DIce is recommended. If you have a hevier one then ln2 could be fun.

I used a really light one with ln2 and it was hell, constantly hovering over the pot with the thermos and fearing every load that was put on the cpu.

I think it can depend a lot on what pot your using. If you have a light (alu) one then DIce is recommended. If you have a hevier one then ln2 could be fun.

I used a really light one with ln2 and it was hell, constantly hovering over the pot with the thermos and fearing every load that was put on the cpu.

I've got a Duniek, and it seems to have a pretty decent copper base, but it does have an aluminum tube on top.

I think I'll be trying the dry ice first, then the LN2. I've also got to get a multimeter that reads type K thermocouples and a thermocouple before I go with the LN2 though.

Back