• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Installed coolermaster...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hammersuit

Registered
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, but it is relative. So I run a p7n sli 775 motherboard with a core2duo e8500 wolfdale E0 stepping. I've been running the cpu overclocked at about 3.56ghz but decided to step it up... Today i bought a new cooler master heatsink and while removing my hardware I also did a case transfer. I believe i correctly installed the thermal compound so other than this heatsink there are no hardware changes to my computer, just a new case. I get everything installed and turn it on and everything powers on and naturally I don't get a display... The only other hardware I can imagine this involving is my Radeon 4870 but i'm positive nothing is wrong with it! When I turn my computer on everything appears to be in working order( hard drive making noise etc) but my 4870 just stays at 100% fanspeed and my pc doesn't boot up.... Anyone have any input please? Power issue? cpu? video card? thank you for your time...

Are there any extra standoffs behind the mobo that could be causing a short? I would double check and reseat everything. Whether it be memory, video card, all power connections, and any drive connectors (SATA and IDE), make sure to reseat it. After that, I would try resetting the BIOS, and go from there.

I had a similar issue last night with my setup. the power seemed to be going to the board but only 1 of 4 CPU LED lights were lit. GPU fans running at max also. I took the advise of Conumdrum and checked cpu removed heatsink reseated it and it fired up. Check your board for CPU led's (not sure if all have them) and should tell you if it is cpu problem. Also, your board may beep as to tell what problem is . Check user manual for list.

thanks for all the input! i'm going to try reseating the cpu and check the back of the motherboard... I unfortunately lost my manual to my motherboard but there is a red and purple light next to my power button on the motherboard. It sucks to have to reseat with this monster block sitting on my cpu now though! lol.

I'm so lost I don't know what to do.... I reseated the heatsink(which I have to reseat the whole motherboard in doing so) and reapplied my Arctic silver, which it looked like i may have used to much, and when i turn my pc on in barebones configuration I still have the same problem! I don't know what I could be doing wrong to cause a short in the back of the case.....

yes i do still have my original heatsink... but namely some of the problems im thinking it is are a little different...for one whats happening with my 4870 when it does that it means it isn't posting... when my computer booted before the card came on with 100% fanspeed but then lowered down quickly (to about 30%). Plus one other factor besides grounding when swapping a case is the power switches. so question. As long as the power pins are connected to the motherboard and my pc turns on does that mean there is nothing wrong with them? While tinkering with the pwr, reset, and hdd led my computer appeared to boot normally one time but at the time it wasn't connected to a monitor... I'm wondering if the case might use different pins on the mobo than what MSI calls for... I could be wrong though. This really has me stumped. I will download the user manual if i can find it though and see.

Thank you for the help by the way... I previously read an article about the lights on my 4870 and mine has 4 LEDs, 3 of which are lit. the only one not lit is the one meaning something has gone corrupt so thats a positive. Apparently two of them that are lit though are the 6 pin power plug LEDs saying that they are not getting the power from the pins. Although i'm pretty sure the only reason they are lit is just because the card itself isn't completing it's post process when the computer is powered on... This is in some way a power issue but I just can't seem to single it out...My computer seems like its freaking on when powered on but in reality its just the 4870being so loud at 100% fanspeed. Everything else sounds to be working when i take the card out and the harddrive is making noise etc..

Back