• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Router Should I Get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fire2havoc

I am purchasing a router for myself. I mainly want a quality product and do not need wireless.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the D-Link DGL-4100 but I'm also considering something like the Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT. My main concerns are stability (for gaming/torrents), quality firmware, and an all-around good router.

Which should I choose? Maybe there are other recommendations? Thanks.

If that dgl-4100 is just the wired version of the dgl-4300 then you can't go wrong. I torrent 200-250 gigs a month and played tons of games over the years. Never let me down. I don't think I've ever had to power cycle/reset it ever. Tons of options but i don't ever do anything more than forward ports. I also have a wrt54g with dd-wrt but i'm sure it's nothing like the 54gl. Mine is a good 5 years old.

I have a DGL-4100 and WRT54GS v7 with DD-WRT and I love both.

The DGL-4100 is gigabit which may help if you do large internal transfer but I have found the WRT54GS to be extremely reliable for mass transfers and large # of connections.

I have a WRT54G V2.2, which is quite old, but is still kicking like it's new. It has never let me down, running stock firmware. I download a lot of torrents (much faster than sourceforge), any MSDN downloads I need, plus networking between computers, a Playstation 3, and 2 cell phones (T-Mobile Hotspot@Home UMA calling), and it has never let me down. I did add a pair of 7dbi gain antenna's to it, but that is the closest thing to a mod it has seen, although I have been thinking about DD-WRT lately.

yeah you cant go wrong with the Linksys WRT54GL me and a bunch of friends have them and no complaints pretty reliable i know some people with a few d link routers that have switched over to the WRT's because of random problems not much to say though its a router that's reliable and works great go buy it!

yeah you cant go wrong with the Linksys WRT54GL me and a bunch of friends have them and no complaints pretty reliable i know some people with a few d link routers that have switched over to the WRT's because of random problems not much to say though its a router that's reliable and works great go buy it!
Sorry about that, your post got caught up in our spam filter. I approved the post so it is visible. :)

Personally, I like Sonicwall... But that's just me...I'm kinda partial to them because they offer so much protection. I have an old Sonicwall Pro 200 with 50 Global VPN Clients, and can have 500 hardware VPN tunnels.. I currently only have 1 setup to my office..

I have a Cisco 877 with the wireless card. Never ever needs rebooting, and QoS is setup correctly for simultaneous gaming / torrents and web browsing.
You will need to do some serious reading to set one up correctly, utilising a lot of functionality.
In my experience, stay clear of the well known crap names like belkin and generally you get what you pay for.

I have a Cisco 877 with the wireless card. Never ever needs rebooting, and QoS is setup correctly for simultaneous gaming / torrents and web browsing.
You will need to do some serious reading to set one up correctly, utilising a lot of functionality.
In my experience, stay clear of the well known crap names like belkin and generally you get what you pay for.

I had a Cisco PIX Firewall.. I liked that very much too... However it was not wireless...

I use the Linksys WTR54GL myself with Tomato firmware, I would totally recomed it for gaming with the ability to use QoS witch when set up well eliminates lag from other less improtant things like P2P downloading.
It really is nice!

If you are ok with 802.11g I would highly recommend the BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16833162134. Loaded with dd-wrt or tomato and when enabled the built in amp makes a beast for the price. Its one of those routers that once configured never needs rebooting. I havent dropped a connection in a couple of years

EDIT: see you dont need wireless. Still a rock solid router.

If you are ok with 802.11g I would highly recommend the BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16833162134. Loaded with dd-wrt or tomato and when enabled the built in amp makes a beast for the price. Its one of those routers that once configured never needs rebooting. I havent dropped a connection in a couple of years

EDIT: see you dont need wireless. Still a rock solid router.

I own this as well... Works great. Great strength and range. However I have it setup to be an Access point... Already have my router.

Back