• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddr3-2000 worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
for some things it makes quite a bit of difference, mainly synthetic benches. if you plan to do that, then I would say go ahead and get to ddr 2000. I bought some ocz plat way back when that was rated 1600 and it will do 2100+, but think I got some of the early stuff that wasnt binned so tight. if you are looking for value look for the kingston hyperx ddr3 2000 it is very good mem and not to bad on price. bought some at Fry's for 160 for 6gb and it rocks, although just 999 rated at 2000

If gaming is your main thing I'm thinking you would see a bigger benefit spending the 50-100 dollars difference between ram on a better video card.

oh and for your question, it's cheaper because of it's really loose timings compared to the other offerings at ddr3-2000.

if you are just going to game I would just look to find some 1600 with decent timings and call it a day. no real benefit going much more than that. look into the ocz plat 7-7-7 when I got mine it was 99 for 6gb more now but look around

i think its worth it, what are you gonna save going 1600? $20-25?

I have my mem at 2100MHZ right now, with vtt of 1.18 and 1.6vdimm... does it matter? not that much, but its fun as hell.

for the latency 8-8-8-24, getting ddr3-1600 would save me about $130. so im trying to decide between spending it on ram which could overclock better? or saving for the nvidia g300 series.

im trying to make this a really good computer :) but i dont want there to be anything that slows my computer down. especially if its something as little as ram. so if it actually makes a big enough difference i would deffinitly pay that. or many im getting a little ocd over this :p. i mean 2000 is a pretty perfect #..... :D

this whole thing is turning out to be about $700 over my budget though haha

Last edited:
my bad I thought you were speaking of i5, for i7 your not gonna be hitting 2000 for daily use, grab some 1866 thats cas 9 they will usually do 1600 at 7-7-7-16 or so which is where your usually going to end up with i7 1366. Or any 1600 kit thats cas8, they will usually open up to well past 1866 at 9 cas anyway.

reason why that OCZ is "cheap" for 2000 is the looser 10-10-10 timings, right now i would go with 1600 cas 8 for the best price.

ya but overclocking ram confuses me.... i understand overclocking the cpu better. and 1600 is enough even with an overclock?

yes it is it works on a multi, if you hit 200 bclk and 3800 or 4000 mhz you can do 1600 or 2000.

Like was said you can get a 2000 kit for well under under 175 anyway even if you wanted to splurge.

im getting it in a set of 3's..... but can u do tripple channel with sepratelly bought ram? i know it has to be the exact same kind.... but does the ram need to come like that or be compatible? cause i want to save a bit to get my video card but and i just need 4gb to start.

Back