• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

975 and new Deneb and Propus Cpus.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuroimaho

The 975 is approaching according to Fudzilla. Link

Back in September we reported that AMD was planning to launch a new Phenom II, the 975 Black Edition. The new CPU is almost here, as some regional distributors are already listing it.

Unfortunately we still don't know the price, but we have its spec and it's impressive. Clocked at 3.6GHz, the 975 is AMD's fastest Phenom to date and it will ship with an unlocked multiplier. It has 4 x 512kB of L2 cache and 6MB of shared L3 cache. The only downside is its thermonuclear TDP, rated at 140W.

The Following CPUs will launch in Japan on the 25th.

・Phenom II X4 910e(2.6GHz,L2 512KBx4,L3 6MB,TDP65W) 約\17,500
・Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition (3.2GHz,L2 512KBx2,L3 6MB) 約\10,500
・Athlon II X4 635(2.9GHz,L2 512KBx4,TDP95W) 約\12,500
・Athlon II X3 440(3.0GHz,L2 512KBx3,TDP95W) 約\9,000
・Athlon II X2 255(3.1GHz,L2 1MBx2,TDP65W) 約\8,000

Unlockable C3 555s sound like another best buy cpus.

Phenom II X4 910e looks interesting for the HTPC I want to build soon. Anyone hear anything about a launch for the Phenom II X6?

Both the 555 and the 255 sound pretty attractive. That 3.6ghz clock speed on the 975 should get AMD so more sales. Plus at stock clocks it probably beats the i7 920 at many things. (Right up till they're both OCed of course, but that's not the point)

I wonder if the 975 will come down to 125w like the 965 did.

I wonder how the 975 will do in the older 790FX SB600 Lanparty MR2s.

Doesn't a 6core sound more tempting for folding ? ;)

If I were to buy a 975 it would probably be because I am using an SB600 mobo with beefy PWMs.
Building a rig for a friend and I think I might just do this.

Doesn't a 6core sound more tempting for folding ? ;)

If I were to buy a 975 it would probably be because I am using an SB600 mobo with beefy PWMs.
Building a rig for a friend and I think I might just do this.

I'm holding out for the 8cores in little over one year with DDR3 in mind.
I don't think the hex cores will do 3.8G until the die shrink so for now I want to use the most mature CPU at the highest speed. I stopped folding when I found out the FAH code is optimized for i**** and the clients got flakey.

Any news on the Thuban? I've been trying to dig for some information but there has been nothing... This is the complete opposite of what I thought was going to happen. This time last year AMD was shouting at everyone to buy the Phenom II. Now that they are a couple months (??) from releasing their 6cores, I would have thought there would been something on the CPUs by now.

Phenom II's are selling well unlike thier Phenom I counter-parts. No need for them to keep people interested right now ... ;)

Phenom II's are an excellent value and perform quite nicely, unlike their Phenom I counter-parts :p

But yeah, they don't need massive hype right now, the money is better spent on making an i7 killer then on marketing IMO.

I'm holding out for the 8cores in little over one year with DDR3 in mind.

I am with you on the DDR3, by the time the next arch is out we can get faster/more efficient rams, I stick with what I have for now.

Any news on the Thuban? I've been trying to dig for some information but there has been nothing...

Samples will be sent out in march, you can expect them in stores 1-2 months after that, in line with the new server processors. Maybe they release a new 2 way enthusiast platform again based on these, would be too good to be true.

What might be more interesting than the 975 is that AMD will release quads based on Thuban with 2 cores disabled and seems on desktop as well.

So... I am guessing the 975 will basically be the same chip as the 955 and 965, but a slightly higher stock multiplier? It seems like the 955 and 965 both OC about the same, so I am interested to see if the 975 will do any better.

I wouldn't expect much, even the C3 didn't bring a big boost like the new stepping did for Brisbane, Deneb was well done from the start.

What might be more interesting than the 975 is that AMD will release quads based on Thuban with 2 cores disabled and seems on desktop as well.

That's a brilliant idea. They got a lot of sales on x3 and x2 chips due to them maybe being unlockable, IMO that's one of the things that made the PhII sell so well.
This could well do the same for Thuban.

I'm definitely more excited about thuban then i am the 975, another multiplier increase is nice, but unless it OCs higher it doesn't really mean anything to me personally, though i imagine that overclockers are a pretty small portion of the people who buy top end hardware.

Last edited:
Finnaly the new ones are coming out soon. Does anyone know if these will match or be better then the i7?

Also does anyone know how to get the free cpu samples etc? I own a review site for cases * brand new * and someone else is starting to review cpu's does this mean we have a chance of getting one or do you have to know people :)

If they clock to 4ghz they'll at least match i7's, clock for clock the i7s are a bit faster, but the AMD cpu will have two more real cores. That puts the rough core matchup at 6 for amd and 5.2 for intel (figuring HT makes a 30% gain, that's equivalent to 1.2 cores, roughly).
Considering that in games the PhII cpus are on par with i7's, this should be beat them in games.

Back