• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]3 Step Guide to Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well my overclock is 6 hours Prime (blend) stable @ 3.6 GHz (= 180 MHz x 20).

Vtt = 1.10v
DRAM = 1.50v
Vcore = 1.35v

CPU-Z is showing idle Vcore of 1.312v vs. BIOS 1.35v
CPU-Z is showing load Vcore of 1.264v vs. BIOS 1.35v

Is this Vdroop? If so, couldn't I run over 1.4v so that I can get my system stable at a higher frequency, say 4 GHz since Vdroop would be keeping me under my BIOS Vcore?

I also read on another forum that increasing the CPU PLL can allow for a lower Vcore, whereas this guide says to leave it on auto. Any opinions, real life experiences with regards to this?

Yes that is vdroop that you are experiencing. Setting it at 1.4v in order to get a number more in line with what you want is how a lot of people handle(d) it when LLC/Load-Line-Calibration wasn't available or didn't work well.

Not sure on the PLL allowing for lower vcore though, sorry.

Overclocking

So, i'm confused... When I pushed my BCLK to 150 and my CPU Multiplier to 27.0, the CPU was at 4GHZ, and I set the ram to 1805 Mhz. Is that the speed at which the ram operates, or.. I mean what is it. I currently have 6 Super*Talent 2 GB sticks which are rated at DDR3-2000. Im sort of confused here. I just want my ram to be operating at DDR3-2000 Mhz.:bang head:confused:

There are a limited number of memory dividers. If you want your RAM to operate at the proper frequency you must pick one of the memory dividers and adjust the BCLK to make the memory operate at the same frequency. Of course, this may over (or under) clock your CPU too far (or too little), so it's a trade off. CPU clock is always king. Memory is a distant second.

IMHO, set your BCLK & CPU multiplier to what you want, then use the memory dividers to get the memory as close to their operating frequency as they will get with the available dividers. Be happy and don't stress the 100MHz. :)

Thanks for the quick reply! I am just wondering that if i set the BCLK to 200, I would be getting a ram speed of 2006, and CPU frequency is not a problem. I am just wondering if that would be too much frequency for the QPI. Currently the QPI is set to automatic, so should I just not worry about it?

Thanks for the quick reply! I am just wondering that if i set the BCLK to 200, I would be getting a ram speed of 2006, and CPU frequency is not a problem. I am just wondering if that would be too much frequency for the QPI. Currently the QPI is set to automatic, so should I just not worry about it?

I personally never went farther than 3537MHz on the QPI Link with my i7 930, and the stock QPI on that CPU was 2400MHz, so that's quite a bit of room to overclock in. That was with quite a high overclock though (I was at 4.3GHz on the CPU Core Clock, stock is 2.8GHz), and the system wasn't fully stable at that overclock. I never did figure out what was the cause of the instability though. It might have been the high QPI Frequency or it could have been my high temps and voltage.

Your results may vary from my own, but I'd figure on maxing out the QPI Frequency somewhere around 3500MHz.

I have to agree with hokie though, RAM speed is not as important as CPU speed.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Core-i7-930?p=7752676&viewfull=1#post7752676

Back