• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]3 Step Guide to Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Follow Miah's guide to overclocking, you can't go wrong there .
I've used his guide and it clears several things easily ..
Infact, in my first attempt, I was able to get to 3.6Ghz
And today, I'm at 4.22Ghz, all because of the guide..
Let us know how it goes .. and if you get stuck, create a thread here, and you'll get solutions ..
Happy overclocking :)

First poster here...

I'm new to overclocking. I've followed the guide best I could. How do these settings look?
i5-760 w/ MSI P55 GD65 board.
1.85x21 (3885 MHz)
CPU voltage - 1.345
CPU VTT - 1.266
DRAM Voltage - 1.645

:welcome: Word :)

Those look like a good start, the CPU voltage seems a tad high....what cooling are you using?

Were you using the new guide (linked in my sig)?

It was a different 3 step guide to overclocking. Yours was easier to understand. Here is where I ended up with your guide...

I left all the power savings features enabled.
Low clock: 183x9 with ~19w power consumption
high clock: 183x22 with ~126w power consumption -- Just under 4GHz
CPU Voltage: Auto (not sure if I should leave this or not) I don't recall what the bios has, but CPU-Z states 1.408 V for the Core Voltage.
QPI/VTT: 1.303

I'm really liking this so far! I was able to turn the CPU fan and all system fans to 50% and only gained 3 (84 max) degrees with IntelBurn.

This is the one I used the first time link and was somewhat confused. My confision was with the different terminology used between board manufactures.
Yesterday I used your guide for the lynnfield link and it was much easier to follow. The bois comparison chart really helped out too!

Thank you for taking the time and writing this up!

Trouble raising Bclock above 179+

First of all im a complete newbie when it comes to OCing. However this guide is very newbie friendly (Thx alot), and got me eager trying to OC my Cpu.

My spec is:
LANPARTY DK X58-T3eH6
I920 2,67ghz(Currently at 3,6 ghz)
Cooler: Noctua nh-d14

Im doing pretty fine raising the Bclock x<180, and it works fine using either low multiplier 12 or high multiplier at 20.

Whenever I raise Bclock to 180 or higher the system wont boot and im forced to clear the bios by manually switching jumpers on my m-board.

At first I thought it was because I forgot to raise the voltage as well. Although ive tried voltages at 1,3375 and higher(Default was 1,15) the system still would not boot. I even tried raising VTT accordingly matching the vcore but without any luck. Actually had VTT at 1,50 at some point just to see if I could get some sort of reaction, but afterwards stopped trying since my impatience might let me turn up the voltages even higher!:)

Is there something else than raising voltages that would make my system unable to boot at 180+ bclock. Seems to me most people with the i920 have no problem at all going alot higher.

I would appriciate any hints:attn:

edit: Reading above post, I noticed that theres a newer version of your guide. Imma go through that one, since there most likely is something I missed out on

Last edited:
I already have a nice stable i7-930 oc of 3.8, but I wanted to go higher, so I thought I would try your method of oc. But, I have read through it and have some questions:

Current 3.8:
multi= 19
blck= 200
qpi vtt= 1.2
ioh= 1.14

Basically, you start by finding the your desired bclk with the best qpi vtt and ioh core. Since I already have my desired bclk and the corresponding qpi vtt/ioh, is there a point in re-doing this step? I.e. my desired blck is 200 - right now my blck is 200, qpi vtt 1.2, and ioh 1.14.

** My bedhead is telling me that if I redid this step I should not find qpi vtt going into the 1.3 range - but:

The last steps require multi and core to be adjusted (not qpi) - which seems fine, but, based on seeing other people bios setups for 4.0-4.2 oc, I will required more qpi vtt to get it stable.

** well now my bedhead is telling me that the first step should indeed show a larger qpi vtt, but then the logistics of this whole situation don't seem right to my bedhead...

Thanks,

edit: Reading above post, I noticed that theres a newer version of your guide. Imma go through that one, since there most likely is something I missed out on
:thup:

The last steps require multi and core to be adjusted (not qpi) - which seems fine, but, based on seeing other people bios setups for 4.0-4.2 oc, I will required more qpi vtt to get it stable.
Don't worry about what other people need....all chips are different, and it sounds like yours is very good ;)

And to answer your question....you are correct. If you're happy with your bclock/memory settings, you can jump straight to step three and go from there. Just be sure you really are satisfied with the stability of bclock/uncore/memory first :)

Cant get above 179 blck?

Hi again. Ive read your updated guide through and realized I had forgotten to update my bios.

Ive updated my bios but still no luck. Current working BIOS setup is:

Genie Bios Setup:
Exit setup shut down= mode 2
O.C Fail Retry Counter = enabled
O.C Fail CMOS Reload = Bank 1

PPM Function = enabled
Turbo Mode Function = Enabled
Cpu multiplier = 21

Bclk/uclk/qpi controller settings
QPI Control Settings = Enabled
QPI Link Fast Mode = Enabled
QPI Frequency = Enabled
CPU Base Clock = 175mhz
Boot up CPU Base clock= atuo
PCIE clock =100 mhz
DRAM frequency =Bclk *06 1050mhz
Uncore frequency =Bcllk*12 2100mhz
CPU speed spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spectrum = Disabled

CPU Feature
All disabled except
Intel H1 Technology = enabled
Active Processor Cores = all

Voltage Settings
O.C. Shut Down Free = Enable
CPU Vid Control =1.3375V(Could be lower but wanted to test cooler)
Power Savings =advance
Super VID =Off
Vcore auto PSI = Disabled
OCP = 140A
DRAM Bus Voltage= 1.560V
DRAM PWW Switch Frequency = Nominal Frequency
DRAM PWW Phase Control = 2 Phase Operation
CPU VTT Special add = Atuo
CPU VTT Voltage = 1,34V
VTT PWW Switch Frequency= Nominal Frequency
VTT PWW Phase Control = 2 Phase Operation
CPU PLL Voltage =1,80V
IOH/ICH 1.1 Voltage = 1,11V
IOH Analog Voltage = 1,10V
ICH 1.5 voltage =1,5V
ICH 1.05 voltage = 1.05v

I left the Dram timings on auto.

Computer specs are:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 525MHz (6-6-6-15)
Motherboard
DFI Inc. DFI LP DK X58 (LGA 1366)
Graphics

ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (ATI)

Cooler
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Køler

Since increasing cpu voltage doesnt help boot up at 180+ blck, I figured something else might be wrong. I just a little worried I might turn something up to high just to get a reaction, since now all I can do is a hard reset of the Bios everytime I raise Blck.

Last edited:
You should copy this information into a new thread so more people will look at it :)

First thing I noticed is that your DRAM voltage is too low. Set it to 1.65V ;)
Also, if you're still working on bclock frequesncy, your CPU ratio should be low to isolate the bclock like the guide says.

You should copy this information into a new thread so more people will look at it :)

First thing I noticed is that your DRAM voltage is too low. Set it to 1.65V ;)
Also, if you're still working on bclock frequesncy, your CPU ratio should be low to isolate the bclock like the guide says.

Ya my bad. I can actually use whatever multiplier and will boot up at 175 bclk. Soon as I raise it to 180 it will fail even if the multiplier is isolated. (tested 12, 14, 16).

Ill make a topic as you suggested once ive changed the DRAM voltage. Thanks for the input however, ill try the changes once im home from work.:)

Last edited:
Great!

Wonderful guide. Worked very well for me.

One suggestion. I'd start the third step with the vcore at 1.25 or even 1.2, then start raising the bclk...

I did that and am getting an OC at <1.275 v with great results (3.885 GHz, i7 930, <90 C).

Just a suggestion. I've seen many others with similar OCs and voltages to mine.

Wonderful guide. Worked very well for me.

One suggestion. I'd start the third step with the vcore at 1.25 or even 1.2, then start raising the bclk...

I did that and am getting an OC at <1.275 v with great results (3.885 GHz, i7 930, <90 C).

Just a suggestion. I've seen many others with similar OCs and voltages to mine.

Thanks for the comment gero....I've completely re-written the guide (the new version is linked in my sig) and it starts off step 3 with 1.2V :thup:

i5-650 on air @4.6GHz. Best bang for Bucks?

Great and very useful guide. Knowledgeable author. First time try on a i5, and wonderful result!
The i5-650 is pretty much unlimited by multiplier if you use 1600 or faster memory:
- gigabyte H55-USB3
- 2x4GB DDR3-1600 @800.1MHz 2:8 divider
- Thermaltake Silent 1156 CPU cooler: 35 C idle, 70 C full load.
- with all voltages unmodified except Vtt + 0.15V
- bus speed 200MHz multiplier x23 = 4.6GHz!

Fantastic performance and built in decent graphics.
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/15-222101L/8088/png/12/2010/img4/glowfoto
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/15-221850L/4680/png/12/2010/img4/glowfoto

Did one unusual thing. I cut away for full holes for the fans instead of hundreds of small holes, and installed a fan guard that came with the fan. This increases the airflow 10x.

Last edited:
The i5-650 is pretty much unlimited by multiplier if you use 1600 or faster memory:
- gigabyte H55-USB3
- 2x4GB DDR3-1600 @800.1MHz 2:8 divider
- Thermaltake Silent 1156 CPU cooler: 35 C idle, 70 C full load.
- with all voltages except Vtt + 0.15V
- bus speed 200MHz multiplier x23 = 4.6GHz!
QUOTE]
BTW, this is a backed down setting. Hihest stable was 208=2.8GHz!. Got unstable at 210MHz. Backed down to 200x23 for extra stability headroom.

awesome read...I have decided after much deliberation and the urgent need of a new comp as my MOBO appears to be failing( to go with an i3 550 setup, going for 4ghz stable) anyway Im broke and the barebones from Tiger Direct seems to be a good kit to start with)

Back