• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]3 Step Guide to Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

3 Step Guide to Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7
by MIAHALLEN

Introduction
So many users are searching around the net these days looking for advice on how to overclock their new systems but don’t know where to start. To help everyone out, I decided a how-to guide was in order. Searching around forums can be confusing and intimidating. There are so many people willing to give advice, but who can you trust? It’s hard to know, and I’ve seen many users sent on wild goose chases because they are following advice that doesn’t solve or even address their specific problem. I’ve also seen too much trial and error overclocking. What I will attempt to do is create a very simple three step guide to “one-size-fits-all” overclocking.

If you want to continue searching out other opinions, please consider each suggestion with caution. Some will undoubtedly be great, some will not. There is one exception I would make for OC Forums- their “senior members”. These users are the ones with blue user names and blue stars. They have been designated seniors based on their knowledge, experience, credentials, and contributions to the OCF community. While not immune to error, these users generally know their stuff and can be trusted for good advice

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus.

Last edited:
Thank you from an Overclocking noob

Miahallen,

Thank you for writing this. Now I have confidence to begin overclocking having some knowledge of why a value should be tweaked or not.

After reading that, I noticed it was posted today! (1/25/2010), and I immediately signed up to this forum..

Very good HOW-To man. I just signed in because of you post. But i have a question. What about PLL and PCH for P55 chipset should we give them a small boost from the beginning?

Excellent guide, saves going around and googling for half decent help on how to overclock those i# CPUs. ;)

+1 for sticky :D

Thanks again guys!
Very good HOW-To man. I just signed in because of you post. But i have a question. What about PLL and PCH for P55 chipset should we give them a small boost from the beginning?
No...as stated in the guide, these should be left on "auto"...Raising the PCH is a bad idea, and I've heard can burn HW pretty quick...I have not found it to help an OC at all. The PLL can even be lowered a bit ;)

Excellent article. I have not had much experience oc'ing since my A64 X2 rig was built a few years ago. In fact, I am in the market for a cheap little i3 530, and this guide will help out.

Thanks again guys!

No...as stated in the guide, these should be left on "auto"...Raising the PCH is a bad idea, and I've heard can burn HW pretty quick...I have not found it to help an OC at all. The PLL can even be lowered a bit ;)

Thx man i will, i will lower them. I thought that because of high FClk i should give them a small volt. As for the PLL i read that in a review of other i5 testings that it is good over 200 clock to give the PLL +0.1 V. THx anyway i will lower mine.

Back