• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Official Forum Wars (Winter Wars) 2010 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
Yes, it's almost that time again.

In a months time you would have had to have your stock testing done, and ready to have your overclocked scores started.

In a shock move, TRP have removed all cooling restrictions!!
Keen to see how that plays out.
Rest of the rules are along the same lines as past wars, all other changes are listed below.

With that out of the way, please post in this thread if you would like to take part. Also list the hardware you plan to use (if you know)

All forum members are welcome to take part!
Matters not if you have 10 posts or 10000 posts, been here 1 month or 10 years. You are all welcome to take part.

Do not not worry what team you may or may not be on, we will take care of all of that, and we will help you get the most out of your rig.

All we ask is you do your best with the hardware and cooling you have.

Forum members that are not 100% sure what this is all about, ask, and we will help you out.

Oh, I should point out we have won the last 5 of these :D

Benching team members that have taken part before, that may need to post stock scores with zero's (moving or some such thing), please talk to me via PM.

So guys, who's up for another round of a$$ kicking ?

The rules for this wars are listed below.

The Rules

Winterwarz 2010 Rules

Changes... (since the last war)
Posting scores in the last few days will be allowed only at TRP.
Benchs are 3d03, 3d05, Super Pi 1m (with an OC bonus), GeekBench & wPrime 32.
Windows 7 OS allowed.
TWKR & Gulftown will not be allowed.
75% of all OC scores will need to verified before the Database closes and (ONLY) 25% can be entered during the last 3 days at TRP.
All players need to register to play .
CPU's are now catagorized by their thread potental... meaning.. 8-threaded means the CPU is capable of running 8-threads.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Spirit of the Games... This is very Important!
Tweaks are allowed, FSB, Multi, Htt, Memory,Voltage, VGA Bus & Mem... ect
Cheats are not, Ram drives, no on-the-fly affinity modifications, modifying drivers ect
Note... not all has been mentioned here, just keep in mind "The Spirit of the Games"
Penelties for violating this will be harsh.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winter Warz Dates.....

February 1-14 prelims Stock score posting
Feb 15th (last minute posting at TRP only!!!)
Feb 16th will be an off day for roster submissions
Feb 17th thru March 5th (go to war)(Database is closed (to competing forums) on March 2nd
March 3rd (All disputed scores listed at TRP)
March 3rd ~ 5th (last minute posting at TRP only

ALL DEADLINES are on 8pm CST US & Mexico (Texas)
Take Note: These are hard deadlines, there will be no excuses for missing them (None)
75% of all OC scores will need to verified before the Database closes and (ONLY) 25% can be entered during the last 3 days at TRP
(All Score links and Screenshots must remain active during the war)
(If they are not active you will recieve a zero for a score)

>Player Registration......
All Players must register their Online name & Email address for prize notification and Sponsor request for promotional offers
The competing forums are responsable for setting up their teams and making sure the scores are verified by Forum Police
You can sign up here... http://caregiversathome.net/tinc?key=GHZPgXB6&formname=Player_Registration

Winter Warz Benchmarks:

Geekbench (10x score)(32bit 2.1.2 or newer version only)
3d03 (1x score) (version 360)
3d05 (4x score)
SPi 1m w OC bonus (SSw2CPUz&TS) (7sec = 120k score)(1.5 version only)
wPrime 32m (SSw2CPUz&TS) (5 sec = 120k score)(1.5 version only)
Overclock Bonus (1000 points for every 1% OC on Super Pi 1m)
Benchmarks can be found at http://www.nofearcom...redownloads.htm
Geekbench: http://www.primatela...nch21-Setup.exe

***IMPORTANT***
LINKS TO YOUR SCORES ARE REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A SCORE.
ALL SCREENSHOTS REQUIRE (2) CPUz & A TIMESTAMP.
MAKE SURE YOUR SCORE IS SUBMITTED BY CHECKING THE WEBSITE.

Winter Warz 2009 Classes:

The A Class (3 player teams)
Quad Core (Max 8 thread capable) CPU and 4 VGA cores maximum
Unlimited downgrades per team
No unreleased architecture ES chips that are not available retail
No cooling restrictions (Air, Water, Phase, LN, DICE, Cascades)

The B Class (3 player teams)
Quad Core (Max 8 thread capable) CPU and 2 VGA cores maximum

The C Class (3 player teams)
Quad Core (Max 8 thread capable) CPU and 1 VGA core maximum

The D Class (3 player teams)
Quad Core (Max 4 thread capable) CPU and 4 VGA cores maximum

The E Class (3 player teams)
Quad Core (Max 4 thread capable) CPU and 2 VGA cores maximum

The F Class (3 player teams)
Quad Core (Max 4 thread capable) CPU and 1 VGA core maximum

The G Class (3 player teams)
Dual Core (Max 2 thread capable) CPU and 2 VGA core maximum

The Rules......

Three systems per player maximum
additional systems can be added to fill out the rosters (none can be on the same team)
All Systems must have a different CPU and a different VGA set up.
Standard HDD performance tuning (like RAID) on ATA, SATA, SATA II are ok. No limit on # of HDD's.
Ram or Virtual Drives are not allowed. SSD's are ok.
Acceptable Operating Systems: Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, 2008, Vista & Windows 7 and all variants of each (32-bit/64-bit, home/pro/ultimate, etc.)
Acceptable Drivers: ALL (No driver limitation)
Acceptable Hardware: All (except unreleased architecture ES chips that are not available retail)
NO UPGRADES after Prelim Deadline, (RMA's & Downgrades are ok, subject to validation by the judges).
Forum Police can deny any posted score if not properly submitted
The Forum Wars Judges will vote on All Questionable scores
The "Police Station" is where the forum police will post a poll and discuss scores and rule clarifications.
This forum will be password protected.
All Forum Police will be registered in our Database and all scores will be entered into the database
then transferred to our spreadsheet. Then tabulated and posted on the TRP website (usually twice a week).
*** No Unreleased hardware may be used in Team Scoring...
*** 8-threaded means the CPU is capable of running 8-threads. If you choose to run it as a 4-threaded processor for higher clocks, that's up to you, but it is not eligible for the 4-threaded classes.

Participating Forums......
Each Forum must provide their own Forum Police (2 to 5 is preferred)
All cops will have access to "Forum Wars Police Station and the Courthouse" and the Database for Score entries
If a Forum has no forum cops players will be REQUIRED to post at The Raptor Pit on the Scoring thread.
Participating Forums need to create 3 threads
A discussions thread that I can link to from the main site for checking each other out and taunting
A closed "Winter Warz 2009 Scoring" thread <b>(<u>not hidden</u>)</b> (where all scores will be posted)
A "Forum player entry thread" to Recruit your Players and Cops
And of course... a passworded private forum for your players only
Forums can have as many 3 man teams in any class as they wish

Teams and Catagories......
A thru F Teams...3 players per team (1 team in each class counts toward the Overall)
The Slacker class wil be used for all the late entries and do not count toward the overall
The Slacker class is unlimited... Anything Goes!!!

Class Winners.....
This Award goes to the winners of each class...

Overall Scoring Award.....
Forum final rankings from the "A thru F" teams are added up and the lowest total wins the overall Contest (Ultimate Win)
Tiebreakers are: fewest # of 8 threaded CPU's, then fewest VGA cores used, then a coinflip
If multiple Teams from the same forum exist in each class, only the highest scoring team's ranking goes toward the "Overall Forum Winner"

The Judges:

Buckeye ( 411Overkill )
Meltdown (Xtreme CPU)
Deanzo (OC Forums)
Intel Guy (PC Pitstop)
Luis GT (The Raptor Pit)
Jammin (OverClockers Club)
Hokiealumnus (The Raptor Pit)

FWs09 judges can participate as a player like anyone else in their forum, but if there is an issue involving them personally or a member of their forum, they are not allowed to vote as a judge. Forum Police & Judges can verify any score in any participating forum (they are global). Judges & Police cannot verify their own scores (submitting them at TRP is the quickest solution)
These rules will not be modified in any form. Any concern about the wording on specific issues will be voted on by the Forum Warz Judges. The polling outcome will be final and not be disputed. Any additions or clarifications approved by the administration will be added separately to the rules as amendments, with no alteration to the original wording of these rules. The term "Awards" are for bragging rights (no gifts are given) The Gifts are given thru a random drawing at the end of the war.

*** Disclaimer***
TRP (The Raptor Pit) will not be responsable for any damaged, broken, bent or burned hardware as a result of Overclocking a Personal Computer. Any Player that Overclocks his/her PC... does so at their own risk and will not hold (TRP) responsable... If you enter (by posting a score) then you accept this agreement.

Last edited:
Got almost an entire rig for this, bros knows I'm in.

Q6600
Tpower I45
4870 512mb
All on dice

Also just in case you need an extra rig,

E3200
EP45-UD3R
9600gt
Also on dice.

Im definitely in.

E8600

both on at least DIce but most likely ln2.

im thinking e-class.

Count me in. Unfortunately no ATi to play with.

Currently available in any configuration:
i7 920 (H20), Q6600, E8400, E6600, E6400, some lower C2D's
2 - GTX285
3 - GTX260

Possibly available by the start:
DICE
another i7 920

Might be down a 285 by then, not sure. Let me know where you need me.

Edit: Down to 2 - 285's, but secured a Dragon Evo 2.4 for some Dice action

I'm in.

E8400
IP35-E
Either 8800 GT or GTX 295 (whichever is needed)
Dice on the CPU.

I'm in.

X2 4050e
1-285 GTX; 1-260 GTX; 1-8600 GTS
Air

Edit: I just bought a 940 Quad...so I will have that in the mix as well possibly two rigs going for this.

Im in...GPU may change though...I will update as I know.

Q9650
Giga EP45 UD3P
OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
GTX285
H20 (CPU/GPU)

I'll play again. This will be my first outing with dry ice too.

E8600
Asus X38
2x2GB DDR2-8000
2x HD4890
CPU DICE, GPU water chiller

2nd rig is really old and I don't want to bench it unless it's really necessary...
X6800
Abit AW9D
2x1GB DDR2-800
2x HD3870
CPU DICE, GPUs air

I can be in if it'll help,

E1200(103%OC, 3.25ghz) or E5200(3.9-4ghz)
Asus P5q Pro (P45)
2x2gb ddr2-8880
1x4830
Air.

Y'all's call which CPU'd be more useful. The e5200 will post higher scores, the e1200 has a nice 103% OC for the OC section :D

I'll play again. This will be my first outing with dry ice too.
:santa: Awesome...looking forward to seeing you pushin it Jim :thup:

I can be in if it'll help,

E1200(103%OC, 3.25ghz) or E5200(3.9-4ghz)
Asus P5q Pro (P45)
2x2gb ddr2-8880
1x4830
Air.

Y'all's call which CPU'd be more useful. The e5200 will post higher scores, the e1200 has a nice 103% OC for the OC section :D

If you have another graphics card you could run two rigs...one with each CPU :shrug: Both look pretty decent to me :thup:

I suck at i7 ocing.. so I dont know :(

Edit:

Well I take that back, yesterday I wasnt able to get much past 150 bclk, the day before i was lucky to get into the 140s.. but right after I made this post, I went back into the bios and set her to 190bclk, and she posted! Now I am at 200x21 :D

I thought maybe my board sucked, or my cpu was too much of a pig, turns out my uncore was a bit too fast I think lol. Bit still, you d0 guys are lucky ;)

LOL I hear you man, I tried it all! There was a few times I didnt think this board would recover, but so far its a trooper :)

Ok... edited my post. GTX285 instead of 260 216.

I do have a question regardign memory. I listed 2x2gb DDR21066 but will likely be using 2x1gb DDR2 800 (the choice old tracers, found another set!!!). Should I leave it as is and consider it a downgrade or list the 2x1gb DDR2 800 sticks?

Back