• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future Ubisoft games will require 'always on' internet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At this moment, steam seems to be the most reliable system of DRM without too much pushback from users. Focusing on that platform, or at least methodology (impulse for instance) is the best avenue for the time being. There will always be a sizable enough crowd that will always pirate no matter what incentive or hurdle is in front of them.

Err... but the Steam versions of games are almost always the first to show up on the torrents.

I bought Dragon Age when it came out. Saw the game and it was made by Bioware so I decided I wanted it. I didn't realise at the time that Bio was a part of EA. I had already decided to not buy any EA games. None. I loaded the game and because I was excited about it I bought the DLC microcontent. This is where my problem came. It seem you can play the game without any internet connection once its set up. You do need one for the DLC though. I started from a save and unbeknownst to me, my game never connected to EA's servers. I didn't get my DLC but continued to play on. I figured it might come back once a connection was made. It never did. Plus after a game is saved without it, it won't install for the rest of the playthrough. That was a first time experience for me and now that I know how it works I can avoid it.
It was enough to convince me that I don't need the hassle. I paid $50 for the game and another $10-15 for the DLC. By far the most I have paid for a game. Its a great game and I enjoy it very much but that just ruined the experience for me. Thats not good for a game that relies so much on immersion.

I hindsight and after reading the article it seems possible that EA's servers where being overwhelmed by pirates. Not saying I know that. Just that the linked article makes that look like a possibility. I don't blame EA, or any game developer, for trying to protect their content. Its unfortunate that they have to. What it means to me is hassles. I'm paying for problems. I could go to work and get payed to deal with problems. When I come home I don't really want to pay for the privilage of dealing with more of them.

To Dragon Age's credit, it's an awesome and highly rated game (and the PC version is hailed as the best). Opposite of most Ubisoft titles.

Err... but the Steam versions of games are almost always the first to show up on the torrents.

Well as we all know there is really no uncrackable DRM, but at least the Steam DRM is non-intrusive to the user. You need to enter your key once (if purchased retail) and then you just need an internet connection only at install, after that you can play off-line (single player only obviously) when ever you want.

The big thing is if your going to use DRM make it so it doesn't cause hassles for your paying customers or they may well avoid your titles. At least at this point the last thing DRM does is stop pirates, it does keep honest people from sharing with friends but in my opinion all it really does is tick off paying customers who more and more recently get screwed over by it while people with cracked versions have no troubles.

As much as I understand that you can't please everybody, I am not going to be buying any games that I have to be online to play. Living out in the sticks and having dial up or satellite internet as my only available options just pushes me out of that equation. I do understand their reasoning, but it just doesn't work for me. No Thanks UbiSoft.

To Dragon Age's credit, it's an awesome and highly rated game (and the PC version is hailed as the best). Opposite of most Ubisoft titles.

I agree, it is a very awesome game. I don't care about any ratings it has received. My opinion is the only one that counts here. I got lucky with this game as I enjoy it very much. Yet I just changed my OS and haven't re-installed it yet as I'm not sure I want it on my clean computer. In the end I probably will. I haven't played all the origins yet and the game is fun. Like a good book, I can imagine myself being a part of the world it creates.

I was, at one time, thinking of trying ME 2. It seems like a similar game but in a futuristic setting. The thing that is similar is the high price for an incomplete game. DLC to complete the game then the need to connect online to use the DLC. DaO showed me the real possibility that I might wind up without the DLC on my first (most important) playthrough. I was undecided and this made me decide not to purchase.

None of the DLC was necessary in DaO and it can be played offline. I just wanted it for completeness sake. It is what gave me problems not the vanilla game itself. I can put up with it if the game is right. When CIV V comes out I'll buy it. Even if I have to drive to Maryland to play it on a Firaxis computer(j/k). Any other game will have to be really enticing or cheap and DRM free before I spend money to play it.

Who cares?

Nobody ever buys Ubisoft games anyway!

Bunch of miserable ports.

Hell... They could automatically disable the OS of whoever installs their games and I wouldn't care because I wasn't buying their games anyway.

Last Ubisoft games I bought was Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

Found out about the DRM: Took it RIGHT BACK to the store.

I don't have time for them.

Back