• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future Ubisoft games will require 'always on' internet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

After they ruined my favorite franchise Rainbow6, I am not willing to extend them any more of my attention. Their agenda is clearly different that what I want.

Well, most Ubisoft games are crap to begin with, so not really a huge loss.

Myst
Far Cry
Rayman
Chessmaster
Age of Empires <-- they were responsible for publishing at least some of this series, iirc?

They've established themselves as capable in my book :). Not arguing that a lot of paperweightware hasn't come out of their orifices, but let's not discount their proven potential to publish classics...

Online checks running in the background are my favorite method of DRM - though it suits me as I only play at home, with an always-on connection. If we're going to have it, it's way way better than disc-checks, securom and the like imho.

Honestly I wish the concept of transparently offering multiple options (a la dragon age) would pick up momentum. For that you can purchase digitally (steam) or retail (disc check) - pick your poison! Only problem is I didn't realize a nocd wasn't going to be made officially availiable so I'm stuck with disc checks and noisy/slow drive spinups... wish I purchased steam :-/...

It's not going to help because it's probably going to get cracked pretty quickly and it will end up annoying people who like to game on the go.

Game developers either need to invest billions in an almost completely transparent and hassle free but also almost 'uncrackable' copy protection using a mix of hardware and software technologies - or they need to give up completely.

It's not going to help because it's probably going to get cracked pretty quickly and it will end up annoying people who like to game on the go.

Game developers either need to invest billions in an almost completely transparent and hassle free but also almost 'uncrackable' copy protection using a mix of hardware and software technologies - or they need to give up completely.

At this moment, steam seems to be the most reliable system of DRM without too much pushback from users. Focusing on that platform, or at least methodology (impulse for instance) is the best avenue for the time being. There will always be a sizable enough crowd that will always pirate no matter what incentive or hurdle is in front of them.

Ubisoft just closed it doors did it not? Steam is my reccomended DRM. I will and do spend my money with them cause they listen.

Ubisoft just closed it doors did it not? Steam is my reccomended DRM. I will and do spend my money with them cause they listen.

No, they just closed a single studio. Just like every other producer/developer in the last year or so. Only the biggest or best of studios stayed open.

Game makers should take look at the FPS genre. They are the least pirated genre. why? Online Multiplayer. ( not to say piracy isn't running rampant on the FPS genre, but it's less so than games like Mass Effect 1/2, Sims 3, Spore, Batman, and any other "offline" game. And no, Having a massive online store that Sims 3 has doesn't count as "online". As I will touch on that in a minute. )

Instead of spending millions of dollars trying to create some "un-hackable" DRM, only to have it cracked within 1 day, Maybe they should spend those millions of dollars on multiplayer/Online aspects of the game.

Imagine if Mass Effect 2 had some form of Multiplayer, or Online Co-Op. ( Which we know they could have done it if they wanted. It's based off the Unreal 3 engine. It was designed with Multiplayer in mind. ) Piracy of ME2 would have been greatly reduced. Oh, there's still a large group of people that would still pirate the game, and ignore the multiplayer. But there's also a very large group of people that wouldn't have been able to pass it up, and would have bought the game.

Tons of DLC doesn't work. ME2's DLC has already been cracked. You can EASILY find a single torrent that has all the current DLC, with a crack. So that's 100% useless.

Sims 3 taught us that that a while back. A ton of people organized together, and bought the collectors edition because they each would receive a $10 Sims 3 store voucher, that would let them D/L the Sims 3 bonus content. They organized together, and each person bought different items in the store. They then had all the DLC content, and then they organized all the files into one place, Put them into a .RAR, and put it out on a torrent.

So even legit buys WILL help the piracy community...For the sake of the piracy community.

Companies need to quit trying to fight it, and instead, spend the money on improving their game, and adding some form of online content. That will get them many more sales than ANY DRM they could set in place.

I don't want this to turn into a piracy debate, or if the pirates would have bought the game if they didn't have the ability to get it for free, etc...etc..., I'm just talking about what developers could do, to help combat piracy.

Another thing they could ( and should ) do, is letting people sell their used PC games. Do it through the OFFICIAL website ( or have a site like steam or impulse do it, with the consent of each publisher ). Naturally the publish will want a portion of the trade, so they do the Gamestop method. Be a middle man. There are a ton of ways for this to work out, but it seriously needs to be done. If a person could sell back their used PC games, People wouldn't wait for the game to be put into the cheap bin at gamestop, and be less inclined to illegally download it. And if the publisher did it right, they could make a decent chunk of money by doing this.

It's not like there's a market for for used PC games anyways. Ever since Gamestop stopped buying/selling used PC games, there's a void in that market. And the Publishers need to jump on that quick, before someone else does. ( and gets popular. I know a few sites already do this, but they don't have the user base that Steam / Impulse does. Nor does the general public even know they exist. )

/end long-*** post

You've nailed the point on the head. You can even pirate some FPS games for multiplayer, but you're very restricted to servers you can play. I happen to really like Steam's platform, since there IS an offline mode that you can use when the internet is out, which happens from time to time for everyone. One thing that concerns me is Ubisoft's console games, will they in time get this? If so, then sales will go way down, I know people tat have never connected their console to the internet (Xbox 360's moreover since they don't want to pay for Live.)

Nice post zexmarqies01.

Activision Blizzard seems to have conquered every gaming model, why? Battle.net + MMO. The vast majority of their games are played online.

Making everything massively multi-player would be even worse, there are a lot of gamers who view WOW and similar products with a great deal of suspicion and hate.

Making everything massively multi-player would be even worse, there are a lot of gamers who view WOW and similar products with a great deal of suspicion and hate.

Community abuse is one of the number one major detractors to anything being massive multiplayer. The sheer force of a community can destroy everybody's experience very quickly. That is what has made WoW and other such games much less enjoyable.

Community abuse is one of the number one major detractors to anything being massive multiplayer. The sheer force of a community can destroy everybody's experience very quickly. That is what has made WoW and other such games much less enjoyable.

Remember non-ladder games in Diablo 2? To this day, I have still yet to see anywhere near that many people cheat in one game.

PSO on the Dreamcast is #2nd. Simply for the fact that not only could people cheat, they could cause you to disconnect, and even wipe your character. Only reason it didn't have *MORE* cheating than Diablo 2, is simply because it didn't have as many people as Diablo 2.

Oh, I agree. And I'm *NOT* in favor of everything going mass-multiplayer. But I am all for games having some kind of online component. Co-Op and Vs. are mainly what I'm talking about.

But there are a TON of other things they could do. Much more than just Leader boards, and achievements.

Hell, look at what nintendo does. You sign up on their site. You then enter a specific code that comes with each game. After so many games / peripherals, Nintendo will mail you free stuff. Usually something small, like a hat, or a shirt or whatever. ( Do they still do that? I know they did a while back. )

Find ways to make the player feel like the game was made for them, instead of feeling like it's just a paycheck for the publisher's share holders and CEO's.

Back