• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Corsair Hydro Series H50 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had to bite on this.. I had a Coolermaster V8 and couldn't get my OCZ reaper ram under it.

The H50 gave my PhII X4 940 (not oc'd) 20C idle and 28-32 under most loads but never more than 38.. ever. With my cpu OC'd to 3.8ghz, I idle anywhere from 26-28C and under load 34-42C

*But keep in mind, i have the push pull method with a VERY loud yate loon highspeed and the corsair factory fan

Oh, if you use this, make sure the SMART cpu fan control in the BIOS is turned off!

Take the corsair fan out of there. It's not doing you any good with the Yate. If your Corsaif ran is anything like the one I had when I put a HS yate on there, the loudness is likely the Corsair fan making a racket and not the yate. They're not exactly loud fans, especially compared to my Panaflos.

Great point on disabling fan control. To anyone that doesn't understand - The pump is connected to a MB header. If your MB throttles that header automagically, it would not be very good for your temps or your pump.

I leave my CPU fan speed enabled but can disable my sys fan (whicht he pump is connected to) and have it run 100%. allows my motherboard to ramp the fan up incase i need more cooling on the rad.

Corsair guy on video only recm'd that the pump see 100% voltage. There was no mention about the cpu fan modulation. So I assume it's ok to leave the cpu fan control enabled.

I'd like to try one of these in my new build. It's going in a micro atx, so I'm going to see if radiator will make it to the top 120mm intake fan at the front of the case.

Yes, it's fine to let the fan ramp up & down via the CPU fan header. That's normal behavior and it won't cause any problems. As long as the pump runs 100%, all is well.

This solution would be great for an HTPC as long as there is enough height clearance and a little extra space around the fan hole to accommodate where the radiator extends. HTPCs should be silent and this is an excellent way to accomplish that.

That's a very good question. Unfortunately it's one that I have no answer for. I'm forwarding a link to your post to our Corsair rep.

H50

This thing Rock i went for 50 C to 36C and idle and stress 16hrs prime95 50c max Phenom II 955 OC 3.8Ghz even went to 3.9 and 4.0Ghz but i fine that 3.8 or 37 is the spot but i stay with 3.8 just to do more test i will buy again ..:rock: i fine that Dir connection to PSU with Connectors work better that connect to motherboard

Hello!

Didn't want to start a new thread about this, so I'll just ask here if it's okay. I'm looking to buy a new cooler for my i7 920 (I keep it stock for now at 2.66), and I'm currently running the Coolermaster v8.
The problem with the v8 is that it's huge and I had to remove the side panel fan thingy from my CM-830. :( With the weather getting warmer, I'm looking to keep my temperatures in check. I was seriously considering a proper water-cooling kit, until I realized that they're way too expensive for me right now, especially when I'm also looking to upgrade other parts of my PC.

Considering I'm looking for something that will be relatively quiet and easy to setup, would the H50 be a good recommendation and an upgrade from the v8? I do plan on doing a little bit of overclocking once I'm more comfortable with it, but I probably don't plan on doing anything major or extreme, and I already have a few Delta fans I can probably use instead of the stock fans as well.
Also, what would be the expected life-span of this cooler? Would I have to maintain it as much as I probably would a proper water-cooling setup?

Thank you in advance. :)

There is no more maintenance with this unit than any other air cooler. Custom WC loops require attention every 6 months or so but this unit is factory sealed. Except for cleaning the rad and fans, just like you would an air cooler, there is no maintenance.

I doubt if this would be an upgrade to the V8 as far as cooling the CPU goes (it might be if you use bigger/higher CFM fans, though) but if you can get a fan on your case side by using the H50 then it is an upgrade to the case cooling (NB/chipset/RAM) ... :)

Hi I am the newbie here just a note! If you don't care for the light material used for the back plate and attachments you can get a metal set from Corsair for just $5.00 for shipping and handling. Just contact customer support and they will fix you up!! ;) I also have this rig but use a push pull with 2 matching fans! Excellent set up!!:cool:

Just a quick newb question. The thermal paste that the H50 comes with, is everyone using that or do most people apply their own. Just a thought before I install mine.

Back