• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Securing 40mm fan to stock NB HS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

haniblecter

Sounds ghetto-rigged, I know.

I will hopefully getting my RMA'd GA-MA770T-UD3P from Newegg soon (no post, no beeps, no monitor output, :,( and was looking over some of my cooling options.

I'm definitely getting the Enzotech mst-88 mosfet heatsink so they don't melt when I unlock and overclock the CPU, but I'm concerned about some of the reported temps on the NB.

I was reviewing some cooling options when I realized that the NB footprint should be large enough for a 40mm fan.

Does it sound reckless/crazy to try securing a 40mm fan to a stock HS that doesnt have any plugs/means of securing? I was thinking glue or some way of bending the HS fins.

The actual size of the 770 chip is less than 40mm in length.

You can jerry-rig a fan onto the heatsink.

tape of the gods

try useing a small peace of Scotch 3M double sided tape #4010 clear or gray dosent matter. 4 inch strip holds 5lbs easy or a very thin strip of it on all four corners of a 120mm fan and u can easily mount it anywhere and those small thin strips can easily hold the weight of an atx side panel. case in point i use a tiny 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch square to mount my old stock cpu fan from my old phenom II cpu heatsink to the top of my 4 gig memory modules and cools em down nice it can handle temperatures of 120c to -20c i belieave

aka the tape of the gods

located at lowes
home depot or buy it online from mnpctech.com

also works great for cable management :p

From Experience...

I have purchased a Gigabyte 970A-UD3P AMD mobo and have been sending a lot of confused ppl on here regarding temps o on these series of boards and other odd issues which very few ppl can help solve. Most do not even know what they are talking about in some cases, but I digress.

With your question, I'd say your best bet for a cheap and easy way to get your fan to stay on the NB heatsink, is get 2x sided tape and stick it on the heatsink so your fan can push or pull air from it. Most ppl never consider cooling these items, like VRM and NB, but then give bad reviews of products that they themselves overheated. Anyway, I ALWAYS over sufficiently cool these key parts. Esp if you like to oc, you will NEED good cooling.

I personally used a cpu fan from an FX6300 for my NB, by putting zip ties thru the holes to form circles which I used as "feet" So my fan wouldn't sit directly on my video card. The ties formed a loop about the size of a dime. Then, I used wires for training tomato plants and used the top two screw holes to suspend the fan a bit. It now sits beside the NB heatsink and blows the air thru the fins and out the back of my case where a120mm fan sucks out that heated air. For my vrm, I used a Noctua 92mm and utilized an L bracket from Lowe's. I screwed it in and set the fan to blow upward but directly on my VRM heatsink. After these cheap mods, my temps dropped dramatically. Over 10 deg C from just doing the method you'd like to do... to tape a fan right on the heatsink. The thing is, the fins need a lil room to get air moving. So you are better off ting to think up a setup where u can suspend the fan to blow on the NB w/o touching.

I'm a nut when it comes cooling on pc builds. But it extends the life of your hardware, sio idc if I'm nuts. Another thing is, I open HWmonitor as soon as I start up Bc I always monitor temps. Speaking of HWM, I originally signed up for this site to post about ppl disputing what the Gigabyte mobos temp sensors measure. I know for a fact, one is the socket temp, one is the VRM temp and the other is the Northbridge sensor. They are all accurate on my board. But Temp 0 I believe is the socket temp, temp 1is NB, and Temp 2 is VRM. I may have the orders mixed a lil, mainly 0 and 2, but I know that's what they correspond to bc I said, I've cooled each part and seen temps drop one by one. Many ppl on the board here say the VRM or socket temp is just an ambient temp sensor. U can quickly disruptive this by taking the side off your case. Run a game under load, or prime 95 it, put a house fan directly twd your open case, n if the temps drop dramatically (like 15+ deg C), then yeah... it'd be ambient. But the latter is not what happens. My ambient temps are much lower than what the sensors read. I've checked w a good quality ir thermometer.

Anyway, if you need more personal help engineering or designing custom brackets for cooling, email me and I can help whoever needs it.

Also, search Amazon n look into Enzotech copper coolers. They have a Northbridge heatsink that is a bunch of pins sticking up, n it'd allow u to push the air thru the sink better than your stock one. By far. Litle fans don't do a ton either. Go w at least An 80 or 92mm. N a decent brand will help too. Don't get quiet edition fans tho. They won't move as much air

@haniblecter
The main issue is that these NB HS are designed to be cooled by the stock CPU coolers, not by tower-style ones.
You can secure the NB HS with blots, nuts and washers and then safely screw it (or whatever method you prefer).

@ColorMehJewish
To which particular MoBo are you referring regarding the sensors rant? Because that is not at all accurate on my UD3 at least.

I have purchased a Gigabyte 970A-UD3P AMD mobo and have been sending a lot of confused ppl on here regarding temps o on these series of boards and other odd issues which very few ppl can help solve. Most do not even know what they are talking about in some cases, but I digress.

With your question, I'd say your best bet for a cheap and easy way to get your fan to stay on the NB heatsink, is get 2x sided tape and stick it on the heatsink so your fan can push or pull air from it. Most ppl never consider cooling these items, like VRM and NB, but then give bad reviews of products that they themselves overheated. Anyway, I ALWAYS over sufficiently cool these key parts. Esp if you like to oc, you will NEED good cooling.

I personally used a cpu fan from an FX6300 for my NB, by putting zip ties thru the holes to form circles which I used as "feet" So my fan wouldn't sit directly on my video card. The ties formed a loop about the size of a dime. Then, I used wires for training tomato plants and used the top two screw holes to suspend the fan a bit. It now sits beside the NB heatsink and blows the air thru the fins and out the back of my case where a120mm fan sucks out that heated air. For my vrm, I used a Noctua 92mm and utilized an L bracket from Lowe's. I screwed it in and set the fan to blow upward but directly on my VRM heatsink. After these cheap mods, my temps dropped dramatically. Over 10 deg C from just doing the method you'd like to do... to tape a fan right on the heatsink. The thing is, the fins need a lil room to get air moving. So you are better off ting to think up a setup where u can suspend the fan to blow on the NB w/o touching.

I'm a nut when it comes cooling on pc builds. But it extends the life of your hardware, sio idc if I'm nuts. Another thing is, I open HWmonitor as soon as I start up Bc I always monitor temps. Speaking of HWM, I originally signed up for this site to post about ppl disputing what the Gigabyte mobos temp sensors measure. I know for a fact, one is the socket temp, one is the VRM temp and the other is the Northbridge sensor. They are all accurate on my board. But Temp 0 I believe is the socket temp, temp 1is NB, and Temp 2 is VRM. I may have the orders mixed a lil, mainly 0 and 2, but I know that's what they correspond to bc I said, I've cooled each part and seen temps drop one by one. Many ppl on the board here say the VRM or socket temp is just an ambient temp sensor. U can quickly disruptive this by taking the side off your case. Run a game under load, or prime 95 it, put a house fan directly twd your open case, n if the temps drop dramatically (like 15+ deg C), then yeah... it'd be ambient. But the latter is not what happens. My ambient temps are much lower than what the sensors read. I've checked w a good quality ir thermometer.

Anyway, if you need more personal help engineering or designing custom brackets for cooling, email me and I can help whoever needs it.

Tons of people on these forums have fans on Northbridge heatsink, vrm heatsink and the back of the cpu socket.

Last edited:
I have some really nice downdraft coolers that came with some Tyan and Supermicro Opteron boards. Heavy. All copper, big heatpipes. With nice 92 mm fans that also blow down on the mobo. I have done testing and they cool better than a Hyper 212 EVO and even my Thermalright True Spirit 140. They just don't look as "bling"!

I have some really nice downdraft coolers that came with some Tyan and Supermicro Opteron boards. Heavy. All copper, big heatpipes. With nice 92 mm fans that also blow down on the mobo. I have done testing and they cool better than a Hyper 212 EVO and even my Thermalright True Spirit 140. They just don't look as "bling"!

I was always wanted to test my stock 965 cooler, specially how to check the VRM and NB HS's "hotness", though the noise is a deterring point.

Back