• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD1001FALS is inexplicably slower than my WD6400AAKS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HowardRoark

So I bought a 1TB WD1001FALS and have had it about 6 months already, to replace my old WD6400AAKS. Well today I installed Windows 7, and I backed up all my old files onto the WD6400AAKS and as I was xfering them back onto the drive, it would start at 100 then drop until it gets steady at about 20-30MBS when I'm moving large amounts 10-100GB of data. So I ran HD Tune and Sandra and it registers in the 80-85MBPS range with high access time also, while the WD6400AAKS is at about 96 in both. Is there anything I can do to improve this?

hdtunebenchmarkwdcwd100.png

hdtunebenchmarkwdcwd640l.png

If i remember correctly 640gb drives are 2x320 platters, and 1tb are 4x250. 320 platters have a greater data density then 250s, which means that for a given RPM the data goes by faster, giving better speeds.

I don't think there's really much you can do about it, save for buying a second one and raiding 'em.

The AAKS looks like how a black should perform while the FALS looks like the AAKS I have. (the random seek) O_O

It don't appear that AAKS blacks exist. Do they?

Back