• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade? Why? Nothing Touches it...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BEEAH

I built my current machine a few years ago(see specs at bottom) and shes has been a champ and running strong since. I built her to run Crysis nice and purdee like and it does very well. I've looked into new GPU's, CPU's and the such, looking to maybe upgrade, then I asked myself. What the point?

Right now there ain't a single game on the market that even comes close to touching this machine that I am aware of. Maybe Far Cry 2(don't have)? Is there even anything comming out at any time that will be worth upgrading for in the future? I read about the NVIDIA Fermi stuff and think, for a home pc, or gamer, whats the point of all the power if there is no normal person software to push it?

Thoughts?

You must not run Crysis DX10 all VHigh with AA...either that or think FPS between 10-25 is acceptable with those settings (which of course is ok). Aside from that, there really isnt much out there, but it depends on what settings and resolution you game at. If you are running a low res 1680x1050 or less, then sure that SLI setup will crunch just about anything. Get into 1920x1080/1200 all high with AA and a lot of games will make those 512mb GTS's cry. Glad its working out for you though.

Yeah. There has yet to be a game.... bloated or optimized enough to require an upgrade of some sort...

With the way things are and with my current gaming habits I am fine with my current setup. and it should do me well for a good 3 years unless a new game catches my attention.

You must not run Crysis DX10 all VHigh with AA...either that or think FPS between 10-25 is acceptable with those settings (which of course is ok). Aside from that, there really isnt much out there, but it depends on what settings and resolution you game at. If you are running a low res 1680x1050 or less, then sure that SLI setup will crunch just about anything. Get into 1920x1080/1200 all high with AA and a lot of games will make those 512mb GTS's cry. Glad its working out for you though.

I guess if you look at it that way there would be a reason to upgrade. I don't run Crysis at the absolute highest settings, but damn close for 1680x150. The only game I even have to slightly back off on graphics is crysis. MW2 and now Mass Effect 2 don't make this thing skip maxed out. I would love to upgrade and buy more gear as like the rest of you I'm into it, but I wanna do it for a reason. Just kinda sux that the pc game market moves so slow compared to the hardware.

I need to justify my upgrades heh.

I don't think a full upgrade is needed but a new gfx card would allow a lot more room for ya.

Yeah im running one 8800gt and it handles all the games I play at the graphic levels I want. As long as it isnt on low im pretty happy.

about every 5 years I found to be the optimum time to upgrade. build a rig right, you can build it cheaply and it will still run all games in 5 years time :)

if you wanna spend money and upgrade, SSD :) I love mine, makes general day to day use so much smoother. unfortunately makes all other PCs seem super slow :/ :(

about every 5 years I found to be the optimum time to upgrade. build a rig right, you can build it cheaply and it will still run all games in 5 years time :)
What does that mean?

I couldnt run jack shhhh now (meaning new((er)) games on anything but low settings no AA) with the rig I built 5 years ago (X850XT PE, A64 3400+ o/c to 2.6Ghz).

Just kinda sux that the pc game market moves so slow compared to the hardware.

hahaha :) if you were PC gaming 13-16 years ago, you wouldn't say that. it used to be, you had to constantly upgrade your system to top of the line just to keep up with games. it seems nowadays, the opposite has happened. hardware is to a point where software development can't or don't have the need to keep up. most of the everyday software we use don't need all that hardware power. i remember back in the Windows 98 days when i had to upgrade my RAM just to make running 4+ instances of IE bearable.

now, mainstream multi processors have been available for more than 5 years. the Intel Core and Core 2 market life is almost over and yet very few mainstream programs really take advantage of them 100%.

Yeah my old box had issues loading windows xp, it was soooo slow. Gladly I was happy to upgrade and get some overkill :p

Modern games on high with high res would eat that box alive. Of course, high res means a 30" screen with 2600x1900 or something like that.

Back