• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Threshold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Picked up some UV radiator leak test dye from OReiley/Checkers autoparts... same stuff as all the other UV green dyes out there

zyklonb 044.JPG

Last edited:
there's no kink between the two GPU blocks - I boiled the tubing so it holds its shape... its a little bit flat in the middle but it doesn't impact flow at all

and I'm running a PA120.3 at the moment... when I get the new case I'll be running a dual loop setup with two PA120.3's - one for CPUs, one for GPUs

Alright, I got the OptiMax 120.3 surrogate build completed today with a Windows 7 Ultimate install

even at stock this rig is just insanely fast!

enjoy:

zyklonb 068.JPG

zyklonb 071.JPG

zyklonb 074.JPG

zyklonb 077.JPG

zyklonb 080.JPG

zyklonb 084.JPG

zyklonb 087.JPG

Last edited:
So when is the new case coming? It looks pretty dam awesome already! I love the UV green. And where is the other 120.3 going in the new case? Back, top...?

new case will be ordered once I work out details with a local powdercoater instead of using mountain mods services, as I have a lot of extra parts that will need to be match powdercoated that I've yet to order

I've contemplated the plans above, and I think I'm going to go with a regular back panel with the PSU placed at the bottom due to PSU weight issues - so I'm going to downsize to using a PA 120.2 on the rear panel, which should still be more than enough to cool 2x HD4870 + the Skulltrail SB

Since I put this together, I've had trouble with the D-Tek Pro Mount system's backplate stripping when I tried to torque down the spring assembly, which forced me to use a M3 nut behind the backplate to hold the assembly down

Yesterday I got some long M4 screws, nuts, wingnuts, and plastic washers to set up a classic hard mount assembly which will let me put more pressure on the CPU than the D-Tek pro mount was allowing me

before CPU 1 was 33C idle and CPU2 was 53C idle

now both CPU1 and CPU2 are idle at 31C - I would say that this was quite successful!

zyklonb 125.JPG

zyklonb 126.JPG

Last edited:
Looking at 4-5 weeks until my custom Extended U2-UFO can be made, powdercoated, and delivered from Mountain Mods

Today I got started making the Intel 5400 northbridge mounting bracket for the EK SB-MAX nb water block that is going to be coming tomorrow.

Started with a piece of bare 1/16" 5055 aluminum:

build log 005.JPG

Drilled 3/16" holes:

build log 010.JPG

De-Burred the holes:

build log 018.JPG

And here we have the beginning of a mounting plate:

build log 020.JPG

(will cut it to shape tomorrow once the NB block arrives and I can dig out the jigsaw from the garage)

Last edited:
Got my package in the mail today:

Two Lian-Li PC-A10 hard drive racks w/ removable mounting base:

buildlog 002.JPG

buildlog 004.JPG

2x Bitspower D5 Premium Mounting brackets & rubber vibration damper

buildlog 014.JPG

EK SB-MAX Northbrige waterblock

buildlog 017.JPG

Bag full of EK G1/4 1/2" ID barbs

buildlog 009.JPG

Plus two more Thermochill 120.1 stainless steel fan grills

buildlog 011.JPG

Last edited:
dragged the scroll saw in from the garage and started work on the northbridge mounting brackets:

first drilled out the EK waterblock mounting holes to allow 8-32 machine screws to pass through:

buildlog 019.JPG

next drilled identical holes in the aluminum:

buildlog 022.JPG

cut out the rough shape of the mounting brackets on my scroll saw

buildlog 043.JPG

sanded them to shape with my dremel + 1/2" sanding drum

buildlog 057.JPG

hand sanded the pieces 400-600-1000-2000 grit sandpaper, then polished them using my dremel

buildlog 080.JPG

and here we have a D5400XS Skulltrail compatible northbridge waterblock

buildlog 091.JPG

Last edited:
today I removed the PSU brace from one of my old Lian-Li PC-75 cases and modified it to act as a PSU support brace in my new U2-UFO case, as the PSU will be mounted like so:

build log 026.JPG

moddedu2ufoback2.jpg

edit: and yes, that's a new picture under my mousepad... enjoy:

mousepad 003.JPG

Last edited:
Back