• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Threshold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaky

Skulltrail Junkie
Welcome to the beginning of Project: Threshold. I've been away from the PC modding and enthusiast community for a number of years now due to a number of personal and family problems that went hand-in-hand with an addiction to heroin that I had developed. Thanks to my good friend Stoneyman, I've been given a chance to become involved with modding once again, so this build is my re-introduction to the scene and I know it's going to be a hell of a lot of fun. I'm moving out of my comfort zone with this build and plan to go above and beyond anything I've done in the past and do something that's just flat out stupid and amazing. So enjoy, regular updates will be posted as this project is kicked into gear. Planned specifications are as follows, and modifications are to be awaited upon execution, step-by-step picture posts to follow.

Case/Components:
  • Enclosure: Custom Powdercoated (PSycho Lime over Silver Vein) Extended Mountain Mods U2-UFO w/ SR-2 Mobo tray, Custom Back Panel & 3x Big Window Side Panels - ORDERED

• Processor: 2x Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown 2.5GHz/12MB L2 Quad Core LGA771 Processor - HAVE

• Motherboard: Intel D5400XS Dual LGA771 Motherboard - HAVE

• Memory: 8GB (4x2GB) A-Data 240-Pin DDR2-800/PC2-6400 FB-DIMM/ECC RAM 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v - HAVE

• Graphics: 2x (Crossfire) Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB DDDR5 PCI-E 2.0 Video Cards - EN ROUTE

• Audio: Creative Soundblaster Xtreme Music 7.1 PCI Sound Card - HAVE

• Storage: 2x Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000RPM 16MB Cache SATA (RAID 0) - HAVE
  • 2x Seagate ES 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA II - HAVE

• 5.25 Devices: 2x Black Samsung 18x DVD±R DVD Burner w/ 12x DVD-RAM Write - HAVE

• Power: Zippy PSL-6C00V 1200w Server PSU w/ Full PFC - HAVE

• Display: 3x Samsung SyncMaster 940BF 2ms 19” LCD – HAVE

CPU+NB Loop Water Cooling:

• CPU Block: 2x EK Supreme Acrylic/Copper - NEED

• NB Block: EK-NB S-MAX Acrylic w/ modded top - HAVE

• Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3 - HAVE

• Pumps: Laing D5 w/ Bitspower Premium Mounting Bracket - HAVE

• Fillport/Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-Micro Rev. 2 - NEED

• Tubing: Masterkleer " 1/2" ID, 13/16" OD (5/32" Wall) Tubing - HAVE

• Hose Clamps: 316 Stainless Steel Worm Drive Hose Clamps 7/16" to 25/32", 5/16" band - HAVE

GPU + SB Water Cooling:

• GPU Block: 2x EK-VGA Supreme Acrylic/Copper - NEED
  • 2x Swiftech ATI5850 Unisinks - NEED

• SB Block: Blastflow Tidal Skulltrail SB Block - HAVE

• Radiator: Thermochill PA120.2 - HAVE

• Pumps: Laing D5 w/ Bitspower Premium Mounting Bracket - HAVE

• Fillport/Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-Micro Rev. 2 - NEED

• Tubing: Masterkleer " 1/2" ID, 13/16" OD (5/32" Wall) Tubing - HAVE

• Hose Clamps: 316 Stainless Steel Worm Drive Hose Clamps 7/16" to 25/32", 5/16" band - HAVE

Misc. Cooling:

• Radiator Fans: 6x Arctic Cooling AF12025 120x25mm- HAVE

• 120mm Case Fans: 4x Arctic Cooling AF12025 120x25mm - HAVE

Miscellaneous Parts:

• 3x Sunbeam MFPP Multi-Fan Power Port - HAVE

• 2x Matched FY/SV Powdercoated Lian-Li PC-A10 Hard Drive Rack - HAVE

• Matched FY/SV Powdercoated Mountain Mods Aluminum 5.25 Bay Cover - NEED

• 7x Matched FY/SV Powdercoated Thermochill 120.1 Fan Grills - HAVE

• 2x Lian Li V-series Stainless Steel Power Buttons + Blue & Red LEDs - HAVE

• 10x Matched FY/SV Powdercoated Lian-Li Vented PCI Cover Plate - HAVE

• 4x Black ACryan SATAII 300Mb/s Cables - NEED

Project: Threshold begins here.

Last edited:
here's a sample of what the florescent yellow over silver vein 2-layer powdercoated finish will look like

florescent yellow over silver vein (3).JPG

Last edited:
My gift package (part 1) from Stoneyman all the way over in Japan

2x Intel Xeon E5420 2.5ghz LGA771 processors

zyklonb27.jpg

Skulltrail mobo + 4x2gb DDR2-800 FB-DIMMs + 2x Fuzion CPU waterblocks + Blastflow SB waterblock

zyklonb 029.JPG

2x Sapphire HD4870's

zyklonb 003.JPG

2x Fuzion GPU blocks

zyklonb 017.JPG

Thermochill PA120.3 rad

zyklonb 019.JPG

Last edited:
Wow I thought the SkullTrails were going out of style to i7 rigs... I still think they're friggin' awesome. Looks cool!

MOD edit

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize to anyone that has taken offense to the name "Zyklon B"

MOD EDIT

Edit: I7 is a great upgrade, but I've always wanted to do a duallie build, and with Skulltrail still at the top of the line, I'm not too worried about other tech out there at the moment. It's still a HUGE upgrade from an e6850+x1900xtx that I've been running for 2 years now

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as long as you mean no harm, it doesn't hurt. After all it's just German for "Cyclone B" lol... You wouldn't happen to know the performance difference between your setup and say an i7965X @ 4.2? I would imagine the bandwidth favoring your side a lot, but clock for clock the i7 might be better for 'regular' apps. But oh well, this is extreme modding! Only extreme parts allowed! Can't wait for updates, looks awesome.

More goodies made their way over from Japan the next day...

5x Thermochill 120.1 Fan grills

zyklonb 004.JPG

Laing D5 vario pump

zyklonb 007.JPG

Last edited:
OK, PLEASE stop this zyklon b politics crap... we all know what it is used for, but it's the name of a computer build/modding project, not the beginning of a Neo Nazi revolution, come on now.

anyways, I have a surrogate MM U2-UFO Optimax case that I'm going to be installing Skulltrail into until I'm able to get my hands on the extended U2-UFO that is in the specs

I don't currently have a waterblock for the northbridge chipset, so I modified an Asus blower from an X38 board to fit on the Skulltrail NB heatsink as a temporary solution

zyklonb 009.JPG

zyklonb 012.JPG

zyklonb 015.JPG

Last edited:
GFX cards will go in slots #2 and #4, SB waterblock won't pose any problems for tubing routing

Wow you have alot of fans.... sell some :) Looks like its going to be pretty good though keep up the good work,,,

Ignore the people complaining about the name..... theres no need to continue viewing the thread if they find it offensive.

Ahh so slots 2 and 4? Since you are water cooling them... you'd probably have enough space to run triple crossfire, another 4870 1gig is like $170 if you had money to spend on one. Evga has had a prototype around with dual i7 sockets and support for quad-fire and quad sli =O
But anyways... what all is going to be painted that cool green with silver vein? It looks sick

Alright, so I've spend the majority of last night setting up waterblocks and tubing

Prepped 4870's for WC:

zyklonb 025.JPG

zyklonb 028.JPG

and set up tubing to all the blocks on the mobo:

zyklonb 030.JPG

Last edited:
Well, thanks to the overwhelming Jewish population of OC Forums (me being one of them!), the project has been forcefully renamed to Project: Threshold to appease those who were offended by the name Zyklon B

anyways here's what I've accomplished to this point in Project: Threshold

zyklonb 012 (2).JPG

zyklonb 020.JPG

zyklonb 024.JPG

Loop goes Pump > Radiator > CPU1 > CPU2 > GPU2 > GPU1 > SB Chipset > Reservoir > and back to Pump

Last edited:
well... I have to fit a X-Fi Xtreme Music PCI sound card in there, so that 90 degree fitting HAD to go... dug through a box of old **** and found a bag of fittings, so here's the result... this is how I'm gonna everything

zyklonb 029 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for changing the name of your project, Sneaky. While the name was striking, it hit too many sore nerves and your thread will be much better off and cleaner with the new name.

I've cleaned up all the comments in this thread so you can continue your nice looking build.

mudd

Back