• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 CAPI2 event ID 4107 causing hard locks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A-Dub

I've been getting hard locks on my system along with a ton of CAPI2 errors in my even log. The freezes seem to coincide with the time stamps on the CAPI2 errors. I also get this message in my event lot:

"Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A certificate chain could not be built to a trusted root authority."

I've downloaded the .cab file however I have no idea where it should be installed. Anyone know where this file is supposed to go?

Bump.

I was convinced that my hard locks were caused by the CAPI2 errors I was getting but my system locked up again and there were no CAPI2 errors in the event log for the last 24 hours.

To elaborate, my computer is locking up and when it does I get a screeching/static sound through the speakers. I've tried everything I can think of and can't fix this problem. I'm running everything at stock speeds until I get this worked out. I'm convinced it's a problem with windows 7, I've ran every hardware test I can think of.

When it locks up I get no warning, just an instant freeze requiring me to hit the reset button.

CPU passes Prime95 overnight and AMD overdrive stability test. Happens with any cpu I throw in the system.
RAM shows no errors in 3+ passes of memtest
PSU rails test good.
Tried two different motherboards.
Hard drive passes HD Tune error test.
Drivers are all up to date.
I've swapped out video cards.
Temps are all good.
I've tried reinstalling windows and tried just a repair install.

Anything I'm missing?

It seems to happen randomly, sometimes gaming, sometimes just web browsing and sometimes when the system is completely idle with no programs running. Also, I can go a few days with no freezes and sometimes I get 5 in one day. I can run hours of torture tests with no problems and then it freezes on me while checking email. I'm completely out of ideas. :bang head

Also, I don't think it can be my windows disk. I have two Win7 licenses from MSDN, I've used the same disk to install it on two different systems. My other Win7 machine has had no problems at all. I've posted this problem on sevenforums and no one there seems to have an answer. Help me ocforums!

Last edited:
im having the same issues as you a-dub. and i understand that this thread is a good 2 years or so old but i want to ask if you eventually did fix it? oh and what things are actually plugged into your pc? (like the name of your mouse, keyboard etc.)

computer crashes on idle, when im playing warcraft with mates, chatting to them on skype or just simply watching youtube videos. only thing i can think that may be causing these crashes is that damn CAPI2 error and possibly my razer naga.

if you do see this please respond as im desperate for a fix to these random lockups once and for all

Last edited:
Back